FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)
Old Mar 16, 2014, 6:58 am
englisha

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
First, the good news, am in Kauai, Hawaii awake in the middle of the night due to jetlag, but at least feeling good to be here. We flew over the last few days LCY-JFK-LAX-LIH in Business/first and arrived yesterday in LIH. Unfortunately our bags didn't. I suspected trouble checking in the bag at LCY (we did US pre clearance in SNN where we identified our bags, but they were checked all the way through to LIH) but decided to do it anyway.

Anyway, filed a claim at the airport and they weren't able to locate the bag and it didn't come on the later flight last night. Just checked by phone and online and they are still unable to locate my bag. We spoke with an agent on arrival who approved $150 each for the first day to buy some clothes and we bought 1 outfit each including shoes/shorts/shirt/Swimming shorts which came to about 140 USD each.

So, assuming the bag isn't found by the morning, id like to buy a second outfit as we cant wear the same clothes everyday and I arrived in a suit as I came straight from work (So not really appropriate Kauai attire). Whats the best way to handle the call to the agent and is it realistic that they will release further funds in this case? Does the fact we travelled International business make any difference?

I have reasonably good insurance with 0 excess but the terms say that first you have to negotiate with the airline, then claim any excess above what they pay afterwards. Also, im not the sort of person who keeps receipts so proving anything that was in the bag is going to be difficult.

Anyway, will try to get some sleep and looking forward to some much needed R&R on the beach in the morning