Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just bought an AS flight a couple of days ago with the intent to apply to AA (good EQD ratio). This is in May of next year. Pretty sure that they will *not* make an exception for flights purchased before the announcement, but certainly something worth pushing.

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
This is not good for AAdvantage members who live in the Pacific Northwest.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:31 am

Too bad. I always credited AA when I flew SEA to SE Alaska and it help reach EXP. I wonder if AA or AS started this.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by AArlington
This is unfortunate for me. I loved the Alaska non-stops to SEA from WAS.

From DCA! I will miss this.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Bummer. No real good way to reach many places in Montana (MSO, FCA, HLN) now as an AA customer.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
or for AS members living outside of the PNW!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
This might push me and Mrs. Smallest State to another alliance. The only way to look at this is a(nother) downgrade in offerings to the elite members of AA.

Bad news.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Ouch.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many people had expected AS and AA to get much closer after both AS and AA broke up with DL.
I was in this camp as well. Does anyone know if it will be possible to split FF#s on a journey with both a domestic and international AA-operated leg?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Yeah, living in Seattle with a split of domestic and international travel purchased in coach, the Alaska partnership has been the only thing thing making AA/Oneworld viable for me.

My first reaction is that this is likely to push me to DL/SkyTeam, but I'm not happy at the thought.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rvolkcpa
Or travel to the Pacific Northwest. AA has virtually no service to PDX/SEA/GEG from the Bay Area, unless you want to fly through PHX(!). Having AA benefits on AS flights was very nice when visiting relatives out of GEG.

Ah, for the days when AA bought Air Cal and then Reno Air to expand its presence up and down the Pacific coast!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:57 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JHunter
Or travel to the Pacific Northwest. AA has virtually no service to PDX/SEA/GEG from the Bay Area, unless you want to fly through PHX(!). Having AA benefits on AS flights was very nice when visiting relatives out of GEG.

Ah, for the days when AA bought Air Cal and then Reno Air to expand its presence up and down the Pacific coast!
True, but AA in general has a reduced presence in the Bay Area unless you want to fly nonstop to JFK or via PHX, LAX, ORD, DFW or MIA, etc.

This is a major

I briefly considered (and almost took the plunge) switching all of my mileage earning to AS this year due to some crazy international travels. My mix of international flights this year oddly matches almost identically what AS offers in Mileage Plan (I've a trip on Emirates, Air France, BA and possibly on JAL). But the bulk of my flying is domestic AA, so I balked. Glad I made that choice now.

Last edited by dll; Jul 6, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:12 am

yin

This is definitely bad for Bay Area flyers. Look at history. They put in a hub at SJC in the 90's, with wonderful route service. Then, pretty much de-hub it after 9/11. OK. But we lost the SFO-HNL flight, which hurt a lot. As long as AS was there, with great service to all the Hawaiian Islands from SJC, and even OAK and SFO---life was good.

This thing sucks by most dimensions, but for getting to Hawaii from the Bay Area they have flat out left us in the lurch. I started flying DL out of SFO several years ago when AA cut back on the options on the SFO-JFK route. DL swooped in big time with 7 - 9 non stops a day (it helped when UA gave up on JFK).

Sum up: bad news for AA flyers, especially on the West Coast. This one has my blood boiling.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dll
True, but AA in general has a reduced presence in the Bay Area unless you want to fly nonstop to JFK or via PHX, LAX, ORD, DFW or MIA, etc.

This is a major

I briefly considered (and almost took the plunge) switching all of my mileage earning to AS this year due to some crazy international travels. My mix of international flights this year oddly matches almost identically what AS offers in Mileage Plan (I've a trip on Emirates, Air France, BA and possibly on JAL). But the bulk of my flying is domestic AA, so I balked. Glad I made that choice now.
I was considering making the switch next year. Even as an East Coaster, the idea had its plusses as long as I was set on buying Premium. Now if AS similarly drops reciprocal benefits the idea has considerably less charm.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
I may be dreaming, but will a corollary of this announcement be expanded AA codeshares to places like EAT, STS, AK airports other than ANC/FAI, etc? It's currently easy to earn AA miles flying to those small AS destinations without AA codeshares but won't be possible anymore unless AA adds codeshares.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by beckoa
Is there a SEA-CLT route announcement on the horizon?
I didn't realize that it had been dropped. I know US had CLT-SEA (and I think CLT-PDX also).

Perhaps some of those routes will be resurrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.