Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Didn't the woman's lawyer say she wasn't hit by the stroller? It sounded like that in Finkface's post above:
I believe the lawyer on this. Things get lost in translation when passed from person to person. The lawyer isn't going to risk his case by saying on the record on national tv that she wasn't hit if she, in fact, was.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Didn't the woman's lawyer say she wasn't hit by the stroller? It sounded like that in Finkface's post above:
Let me quote you a California Jury Instruction.
Judicial Council of California Civil Jury Instructions (CACI):
5003. Witnesses

<snip>

Sometimes a witness may say something that is not consistent with something else he or she said. Sometimes different witnesses will give different versions of what happened. People often forget things or make mistakes in what they remember. Also, two people may see the same event but remember it differently. You may consider these differences, but do not decide that testimony is untrue just because it differs from other testimony.

<snip>
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aviation reporter Ted Reed in The Street:
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Finkface
I believe the lawyer on this. Things get lost in translation when passed from person to person. The lawyer isn't going to risk his case by saying on the record on national tv that she wasn't hit if she, in fact, was.
Indeed. The inconsistent internet "witness" messages -- much built on hearsay -- about the passenger being hit with the stroller wouldn't sound as convincing to me as the woman's lawyer's statement that the FA didn't hit her with the stroller (if that is indeed what the lawyer said). When a "witness" or hearsay communicator gets basic facts wrong, their credibility does indeed tend to go down.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TWA884
Aviation reporter Ted Reed in The Street:

Published accounts from passengers vary widely on how well the flight attendant dealt with the woman. At some point, he seems to have gained possession of the stroller. A source familiar with the incident said the woman "hit herself with her stroller as she pulled it away from the flight attendant."
The above language about the woman hitting herself with her stroller just sounds like another attempt to blame the woman for this incident regardless of the facts. I doubt that the woman had any intention of hitting herself with her stroller. Whether or not she got injured by the stroller, well that's a different thing than "hitting herself" with a stroller or anything else. Is an author/source trying to say this female passenger is a willful masochist? Or is it an author/source trying to just say what it takes to try to point the finger of blame at this female passenger?

It's quite an era where potential plaintiff's attorney seems way more credible than "sources" with a narrative that works toward defecting blame away from the potential defendant(s).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:40 pm

It's also possible that they want to say it was an accident. It's sometimes refreshing to live in a society where the law is designed to allow for such a thing and not just a vehicle for ambulance chasing lawyers to get rich.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
It's also possible that they want to say it was an accident. It's sometimes refreshing to live in a society where the law is designed to allow for such a thing and not just a vehicle for ambulance chasing lawyers to get rich.
The author/source didn't word it to say it was an accident. Rather it's more a sign of trying to paint blame upon the passenger while trying to also co-opt those open to the possibility of an accident.

In this case the ambulance chasing lawyer may seem to think that the FA did not hit the passenger with the stroller. But that doesn't mean the passenger hit herself with the stroller -- even if the stroller caused her an injury by accident.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
My ideas? I don't find things so bad at the moment that I feel the need for any dramatic changes. I pay for extra legspace, whether it's F, J or Y+ and while I could certainly imagine an improved experience, I'm not suffering from the delusion that governmental intervention is what is needed here.
Well, there's been government intervention in aviation in one form or another for our entire lives. In a way, looking the other way while the airlines form an ever-shrinking oligopoly that aligns fares and carves out "turf", quasi-cartel-style, is in and of itself a form of intervention. (Some of this is enabled by cities and states; it isn't just the Feds.)

That said, I don't think we need whole new regulations on seat pitch or anything like that. I do believe the existing IDB/VDB rules need to be updated with substantially stiffer penalties for IDB, and there are some consumer protections that should be enacted to enforce fair advertising/marketing, but I don't think we have to overhaul the whole system.

To me, it's less a question of intervention or not, but is any new regulation meaningful and supportive of a better travel experience across the long-haul, not just a reaction to 1 or 2 incidents. Unintended consequences can easily detract from that long-range benefit. (An MRTC type rule being one example.)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
If it was an accident, I feel bad for her, but this is in no way, shape, or form another Dao 2.0.

Three days ago, I said the woman and FA were both hotheads and the wannabe toughguy made it even more tense. All should have been de-plAAned.

FA probably should be re-accomodated to another line of work, but this woman is crazy if she believes that she will get rich from this.

AA has a problem employee, but the overall process was not flawed- I totally believe her stroller was pink-tagged and she refused to gate check it. Dao incident was unfortunate and heads should roll. This was not even close- especially when her attorney admits that she was never struck by the FA. This changes the calculus for me.

Warning: There are some "if's" here, but if the woman did indeed board late, and if the stroller wasn't collapsable to the point where there was ample OHB space on an A321 (very likely, as their bins are not roomy), where else would the stroller go but underneath? A closet? No way is this thing going to be allowed to be a potential flying projectile in case of an aborted takeoff roll or an emergency stop. More and more evidence is coming to light about how petulant she was- my sympathy is inversely correlated to bad behavior inside of a metal tube.

Last edited by SeaHawg; Apr 24, 2017 at 5:55 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:49 pm

The above language about the woman hitting herself with her stroller just sounds like another attempt to blame the woman for this incident regardless of the facts. I doubt that the woman had any intention of hitting herself with her stroller. Whether or not she got injured by the stroller, well that's a different thing than "hitting herself" with a stroller or anything else. Is the author trying to say this female passenger is a willful masochist? Or is it an author/source trying to just say what it takes to try to point the finger of blame at this female passenger?
The "facts" will be determined by a jury, if the case gets that far, which I doubt it will. Some here choose to believe the woman and her hired gun's version, no matter what, while others wait for all the evidence, whether physical or testimonial, to emerge.

The bruise seen on her forehead in the video supports drawing an inference or even a conclusion that she was struck in the head by the stroller, be it at her doing or the flight attendant's.

Finally, let me direct you to another part of the jury instruction which I quoted above:
<snip>

In deciding whether to believe a witness's testimony, you may consider, among other factors, the following:

<snip>

Did the witness have any reason to say something that was not true? Did the witness show any bias or prejudice? Did the witness have a personal relationship with any of the parties involved in the case? Does the witness have a personal stake in how this case is decided?

<snip>
Both the woman and her lawyer, Mr. Demetrio, have a financial stake in the outcome of the lawsuit they are about to file.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:52 pm

It looks to me like it's semantics trying to explain the same thing. Person A and B each hold one end of a heavy item and are pulling in opposite directions. The force applied by each person on both ends is what holds it in place. If person A suddenly lets go, the abrupt and for person B unexpected movement of the item in their direction is inevitable. This can easily and often does cause a degree of injury (it's the same principle that applies when you try to remove an item wedged somewhere, once you've freed the item from whatever force held it in place the item's movement will be surprisingly abrupt and uncontrollable).

In such an incident it would be fair to say it's an accidental injury - but in technical terms person B would have been in sole physical possession of the injuring items, as well as the sole physical cause of the item's movement toward themselves. This can be casually described as "she accidentally hit herself with the item".
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I have to say I have a lot less sympathy for this lady now that she's lawyered up and seems to be looking for a payday. AA handled this about as well as I think could be handled with getting her on another flight and the upgrade to first and apologizing. I'm guessing the lawyer, who just happens to also be representing the UA guy, reached out to extend his 15 seconds and get some more $ but unlike the UA guy who had fairly significant injuries not sure what more she should really get out of this whole situation.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by ryan182
I have to say I have a lot less sympathy for this lady now that she's lawyered up and seems to be looking for a payday. AA handled this about as well as I think could be handled with getting her on another flight and the upgrade to first and apologizing. I'm guessing the lawyer, who just happens to also be representing the UA guy, reached out to extend his 15 seconds and get some more $ but unlike the UA guy who had fairly significant injuries not sure what more she should really get out of this whole situation.
Um, no.
"Demetrio said that the woman contacted him, and he also confirmed to the “Today Show” that neither the woman nor her baby were actually hit by the stroller."

As to all the rest, totally agree.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I'm sure about that. And I'm sure that every woman with twins making an issue about strollers at the gate or on the plane isn't the same woman as this one. So AA will have to hunt for records based on the passenger's names or other PNR stored items to find her AA travel history beyond that for just this flight.

Given the age of her children and the hassles and expenses of traveling alone with two kids of such age, I doubt that she has had that many incidents over strollers.
They will probably start with a secret database that very few people here have ever heard of, It is known as the "Aadvantage account" and I have heard rumors that it can be used to find a listing of flights on which you have traveled.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sbrower
They will probably start with a secret database that very few people here have ever heard of, It is known as the "Aadvantage account" and I have heard rumors that it can be used to find a listing of flights on which you have traveled.
A logical place to start... but not everybody who flies AA has an AAdvantage account or chooses to credit to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.