Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
5/4 AA0061 MIA-DFW 763 refurbed: tray of juice and water (6:30 am - didn't ask for anything else)

5/5 AA1435 DFW-MIA 772 refurbed: tray of juice and water (4:20 pm, departure at 4:45 pm) "Oh honey we just don't have time for more!"
Old May 5, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zpaul
5/4 AA0061 MIA-DFW 763 refurbed: tray of juice and water (6:30 am - didn't ask for anything else)

5/5 AA1435 DFW-MIA 772 refurbed: tray of juice and water (4:20 pm, departure at 4:45 pm) "Oh honey we just don't have time for more!"
lAAzy! I don't know why they don't do a red or white wine on the tray at that time in addition to the water and OJ. Some people, like myself, like a drink on an afternoon or evening flight.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by zpaul

On my JFK-MIA 772 refurb we got nothing....the cabin is seemingly "too big" for FAs to do their job but DL and UA FAs seem to have the smarts to figure it out.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
On my JFK-MIA 772 refurb we got nothing....the cabin is seemingly "too big" for FAs to do their job but DL and UA FAs seem to have the smarts to figure it out.
Either you subject yourself to a weak hard product for transcons, e.g. 737s, with seemingly better opportunity for soft product delivery or you take a better hard product, e.g. the 777s, and lose out on soft product... And yes, completely agree, somehow both DL and UA have figured out to deliver both
Old May 6, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
No PDB DFW to BNA

Flight 2501 on May 2-DFW to BNA.
No PDB offered. No snack basket passed either. Really?

FA got pissed off at the overhead baggage in First and I had to "shuffle things around" as she was too lazy or stupid to figure out a very simple solution.

What a total disappointment after flying on Qatar all the way to the US from Beirut to encounter this total lack of any kind of service on a US carrier. Guess that is the new normal.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Flight 2501 on May 2-DFW to BNA.
No PDB offered. No snack basket passed either. Really?

FA got pissed off at the overhead baggage in First and I had to "shuffle things around" as she was too lazy or stupid to figure out a very simple solution.

What a total disappointment after flying on Qatar all the way to the US from Beirut to encounter this total lack of any kind of service on a US carrier. Guess that is the new normal.
Seriously? Was that on a MD-80?
Old May 6, 2017, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
On a recent FLL-CLT-PHX RT, all legs got full PDB (all 320/321). On one particular leg, the FAs worked as a team with one holding pax at the door while the other did the PDB so he didn't have to fight through pax standing in aisle. Worked very well.
Unfortunately, holding people at the boarding door in order to accomplish pre departure beverages is not allowed.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by skylady
Unfortunately, holding people at the boarding door in order to accomplish pre departure beverages is not allowed.
And yet it happens all the time. It's an extremely efficient and effective method for serving drinks. Pax clog the aisle in F going nowhere, FAs stop boarding for a moment, serve PDBs, and FA's allow pax to resume clogging the aisle.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Hmmmmmm. We could make a really, really long list of airline procedures that are "not followed", and an equally long list of behavior that takes place which is "not allowed".
Old May 6, 2017, 3:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Hmmm. So, I assume PhillipTaylor is not an AA FA...

Originally Posted by PhillipTaylor
This is actually the standard procedure on all mainline aircraft with the exception of the E190. I find it makes things run much smoother.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by YtravelF
And yet it happens all the time. It's an extremely efficient and effective method for serving drinks. Pax clog the aisle in F going nowhere, FAs stop boarding for a moment, serve PDBs, and FA's allow pax to resume clogging the aisle.
This is why I like 757s.

But yes, the FAs will routinely hold passengers at the door so that another can run back with drinks. In fact I've seen the pilot out there controlling the boarding flow to allow the FAs to do their job as well.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by PhillipTaylor
This is actually the standard procedure on all mainline aircraft with the exception of the E190. I find it makes things run much smoother.
I'm a little confused at this point as well.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
5/6 AA2424 MIA-DEN 738 Full PDB
Old May 8, 2017, 2:26 pm

This is how I do it. Never had an issue. The Y line often is backed up and moving at a snail's pace anyway.

I dare someone to reprimand me for holding boarding for a minuscule amount of time. The day that happens is the day I stop serving PDBs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old May 8, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
The day that happens is the day I stop serving PDBs.
What choice will you have if you were reprimanded?

This is my generalization, but looks like LUS FAs tend to do PDB that way by asking boarding passengers to wait at the front. Do LAA FAs do that, because never remember seeing LAA FAs doing that before the merger? Did not know that it is against AA’s company policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.