Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
(Link) to “United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty (APD) Charged UK Departing Passengers”

Link to html full APD tax law

APD rates as of 01 Apr 2020:
Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) £13 Reduced, £26 Standard
Band B (anything over 2,000 miles): Reduced £80, Standard £176

Infants and children
“Children below the age of 2 years who are not allocated a separate seat before boarding the aircraft are not chargeable passengers. If a seat is purchased for the infant then APD is chargeable.

From 1 May 2015, children who are under the age of 12 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 12 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.

From 1 March 2016 children who are under the age of 16 years on the date of the flight, and in the lowest class of travel, are not chargeable passengers. Children 16 years and over, or travelling in any other class, are chargeable passengers and APD is due.”

General notes:
distances calculated between national capitals - e.g. HNL calculated as WAS.
Link to Source: U.K. Excise Notice 550: Air Passenger Duty

APD is due when passengers pay to upgrade any stage of their journey

N.B. Arriving at a UK airport will not incur APD. Connections with less than 24 hours will generally not require APD*; you may have to have the rate desk intervene if you are not on a through ticket. As noted, "band distance" is calculated Capital to Capital.

APD is not charged on flights originating in the Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands. APD is not payable on direct, Band B, flights departing Northern Ireland.

* Connecting flights exemption (UK APD regulation)
“The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption. Tickets can only be regarded as conjunction tickets if:

a. they are in one booklet, or
b. where they are in separate booklets:
each refers to the other and states that they are to be read in conjunction
there is a summary of the flights constituting the passengers journey including the flights in question

Although the flights may meet all the other criteria for determining whether Two flights are connected, they will only qualify for the exemption if the connection is evidenced on the ticket or a flight summary.”

AA (c/o JonNYC, post #219):

septix by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Print Wikipost

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think issues with the new view were causing the picture not to load on FT for me. I now see it and clicking through on the link on FT also loads it correctly.
That makes sense- was gonna recommend another browser or whatever. But whatever this new FT thing is could very well be an issue as well, it's weird.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please visit the Technical Support and Feedback forum to share any issues you are experiencing with FlyerTalk. If you're having issues with the new features, learn how you can opt out.

Infinite Scroll and related issues are under discussion in a "sticky" thread there. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...l-desktop.html.

/Moderator
Old Mar 5, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
I bought an AA ticket and an AY ticket a few months later. The relevant segments are:

AY: OSL-HEL-LHR
-connecting to with a 6h connection-
AA: LHR-LAX-SFO

Has anyone successfully got an agent to refund the "reduced" APD of 73 GBP? I called in and they denied me, saying that they could have done something if the tickets were purchased on the same day, but since they were not they couldn't do anything.

He said the extra APD from the SWU would be waived once cleared but not the "reduced" APD as they can only modify on the same day.

Should I just HUCA? Smells like BS to me...
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by no2chem
I bought an AA ticket and an AY ticket a few months later. The relevant segments are:

AY: OSL-HEL-LHR
-connecting to with a 6h connection-
AA: LHR-LAX-SFO

Has anyone successfully got an agent to refund the "reduced" APD of 73 GBP? I called in and they denied me, saying that they could have done something if the tickets were purchased on the same day, but since they were not they couldn't do anything.

He said the extra APD from the SWU would be waived once cleared but not the "reduced" APD as they can only modify on the same day.

Should I just HUCA? Smells like BS to me...
I'm thinking the agent is meaning it can be done if you had requested it same day you made the reservation. At this point the ticket has been issued and refunding the taxes would mean reissuing the ticket. I know AA will waive the taxes if you request before the ticket is issued. I however don't know their policy when the ticket has already been issued.
window.post_1488752685432_2 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}window.post_1488752687496_11 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm thinking the agent is meaning it can be done if you had requested it same day you made the reservation. At this point the ticket has been issued and refunding the taxes would mean reissuing the ticket. I know AA will waive the taxes if you request before the ticket is issued. I however don't know their policy when the ticket has already been issued.
But what's the big deal with reissuing the ticket? Aren't they just giving the UK government free money otherwise?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:48 pm
LTH

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
London upgrade tax

Was told by AA agent that I would be charged $90 if my SWU from Y to J clears for a segment originating from LHR. Is this true?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:59 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Roughly. Yes.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
As discussed extensively in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
yep. all of the UK for that matter. I got hit with it starting in Glasgow.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
yep. all of the UK for that matter. I got hit with it starting in Glasgow.
And ex-CDG, though that is cheaper at around $50.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by LTH
Was told by AA agent that I would be charged $90 if my SWU from Y to J clears for a segment originating from LHR. Is this true?
And it would cost the same in APD (airport departure duty) to upgrade from economy to premium economy, or to First as anything above economy class is charged at 2x the economy rate.

It is possible to avoid APD if you are merely transiting through the UK and the departure flight is less than 24hrs from the arrival flight.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:23 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
And it would cost the same in APD (airport departure duty) to upgrade from economy to premium economy, or to First as anything above economy class is charged at 2x the economy rate.

It is possible to avoid APD if you are merely transiting through the UK and the departure flight is less than 24hrs from the arrival flight.
He is correct. ^^

I am flying AMS-LHR-LAX today on a cleared SWU from Y to J and I was not charged anything extra.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by LTH
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for the details about the Air Passenger Duty.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:40 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by laagima
And ex-CDG, though that is cheaper at around $50.
The APD is a "luxury tax".
The (France)CDG goes to Unitaid an endeavor to help "poor" countries eliminate disease.
The passenger pays in any event...but for the French tax you are paying it for humanitarian purposes.
PS: Independent of the TAX, both LHR and CDG IMHO are not "nice" airports to transit through.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Was wondering whether anybody had any luck getting APD refund on separate tickets from BA. I found some older discussion threads, but actual experiences (eg I asked CS, they said, YES/NO; I pursued legal challenge based on HMRC definition and got money/lost money), would be useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.