Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
"Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change (SDFC, SDC, CFC, and "Standby")
"AA Domestic" here includes Canada, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and the Caribbean

N.B. Different than "standby"; see link.

NOTE CHANGED POLICY: June 2018 - E class availability is not (or no longer) definitive on whether SDFC may happen. "Other" aspects may be taken in to consideration. Seems few other changes but it is now clear that passengers in domestic premium cabins can SDFC at no charge. More here: Guide: New SDFC / Same Day Flight Change Restrictions 8 Jun 2018

NOTE CHANGED POLICY: As of 15 January 2016 the SDFC option will be limited to alternate flights only if they follow the same origin, destination, and also SAME CONNECTION POINT. Other rules seem to be unchanged as far as available 24-hours before, no charge to CK, EXP or up to three companions on the same PNR, no co-terminals allowed, and slight overlap to calendar date limitation for late night may be possible. Domestic segments that are part of a domestic and international itinerary are generally not eligible.

NOTE 1 re upgrades: To effectively use SDFC you must call to downgrade first. If you SDFC successfully then, you may request an upgrade on your new flight.

NOTE 2 re Upgrades. On SDFC, for e500 or EXP UDU the original upgrade request time stamp remains on the upgrade request; with SWU, you will get a new time of request time stamp. (It's useful not to check in for ~10 minutes after you SDFC or you may find yourself in a pickle with upgrade requests.)

NOTE 3 re PreCheck / KTN: For an unknown reason, going on to SDFC May delete or eliminate your Known Traveler number for the record, so your PreCheck will likely not be granted. You'll have to call or have the ticket counter restore your KTN. (According to reports in May 2018, this does not seem to be a pervasive issue any longer).

N.B. This thread relates to AA "domestic" changes only, for international same day changes see this thread.

Link to American Airlines' current policy on Same Day Flight Change and detailed Terms and Conditions
Link AA FAQ - Same Day Flight Change
Link to archived posts made before the recent changes

The price to confirm same day flight change is now $75* (free for EXPs and others as shown in "Complimentary..." below as of 1 Jan 2015):
http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...eDayTravel.jsp

Change and Standby Options (Link)

Same-Day Flight Changes
Did you know you can change your domestic flight† and get a confirmed seat for a $75 (non-refundable) charge? The option is available on all fares in the Main Cabin. For $75 you can confirm a seat on a different flight as long as the alternate flight:

1. Has the same origin AND destination
2. Is the same calendar day of departure
3. Has eligible seats available ("E" fare inventory for all fares)

We continue to offer the same-day stand by option for an earlier or later domestic flight for select customers at no charge. See above link for list of select customers.

We now have four convenient options to make same-day flight changes:
1. Online: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, you can request a same-day flight change on aa.com through the check-in window. Just select each passenger who is requesting a flight change and pay the non-refundable $75 per passenger charge.

2. Over the Phone: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, you can call Reservations and our agents will provide information for available flights departing on the same day as your original flight. The non-refundable $75 charge can be paid over the phone via credit card.

Once you arrive at the airport, you can check in for your new flight at Curbside Check-In, Self-Service Check-In, or our ticket counter.

3. At a Check-In Kiosk: Beginning 12 hours prior to departure, the Self-Service Check-In machines will provide a list of available flights for the same day as your original flight. Just choose the flight, pay the non-refundable $75 charge, and complete the check-in process. You will receive a boarding pass for your newly confirmed flight and a receipt for the charge.

4. At the Ticket Counter: Beginning 24 hours prior to departure, our agents can provide a list of available flights for the same day as your original flight. Just choose the flight and pay the non-refundable $75 charge. You will receive a boarding pass for your newly confirmed flight and a receipt for the charge.

Same-day flight changes are subject to Terms and Conditions.

†Available for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean on American Airlines, American Eagle® and AmericanConnection®.

*Note: 1.Passengers traveling on unrestricted Y fares and AAdvantage AAnytime travel awards have the flexibility to change flight arrangements at no charge. Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date/time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.

Complimentary confirmed flight change (Link)
Get a complimentary same-day confirmed flight change with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status and companions in same record
  • AirPass® membership
  • First and Business Class award tickets
  • MileSAAver® & AAnytime® award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares
Tips
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
...If the original flight leaves between 8 PM and midnight, you can SDFC to flights leaving from midnight to 2 AM on the following calendar day (but still the same night) and vice versa. This was revised around the same time that the routing/coterminal restrictions were added in July.

Keep in mind that reservations and airport agents may be looking at slightly different references...
Passengers traveling on unrestricted Y fares and AAdvantage AAnytime travel awards have the flexibility to change flight arrangements at no charge. Passengers traveling on AAdvantage MileSAAver awards continue to have the flexibility to change the date/time of their flights at no charge, provided award seats are available on the desired flight. If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.

Customers who purchased a Choice Plus fare have the flexibility to change one flight at no charge, provided seats are available on the desired flight.

Looking for more information? Please see our Frequently Asked Questions.

†Available for flights in the U.S., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Canada and the Caribbean on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Connection®.

* Same-day flight change charges are non-refundable. Same-day standby charges are automatically refunded if you are not accommodated on the standby flight.

N.B. Inventory must be available in "E" bucket for Confirmed Flight Change to be offered; even then it still may not be available due to "Other" considerations.

Link to AA Same Day Confirmed Flight a Change Terms and Conditions
Link to aa.com Same Day Flight Change policy
Link to aa.com Same Day Travel Changes / SDFC and Standby FAQ

Archive of previous terms and conditions: http://web.archive.org/web/201405221...mers/sd-tc.jsp

Nuances and Loose Rules
Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC. (Note: this is a work in progress and your contributions/corrections are appreciated!)

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter)
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): A* (see post 1020)
  • Change to flight with no E fares available (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): A* (see [http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25099215-post1111.html"]post 1111)
  • Change routing with E avails but keep same number of connections, i.e BOS-ORD-LAX to BOS-DFW-LAX ??
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. LGA -> JFK): A* (see post 1081, post 1114 & this blog post )
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport non-coterminal airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA): ??
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): A (1 of 1 getting an EP phone agent to create 8+ hr layover)
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: ??
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: ??
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: ??
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: ??
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): ??
  • Change AA-codeshare, non-AA-metal segment to AA metal: ??
  • Change from AA metal to AA-codeshare, non-AA-metal segment: ??
  • Change from AA-codeshare, non-AA-metal segment to a different AA-codeshare, non-AA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-AA ticketed segment: A* (see post 1017 & post 1018)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available space on the new flight: ??
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available space on the new flight: ??
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from EXP's waived-fee SDC: ??
  • SDFC on an award: ??
Link to archive thread of older posts.

ARCHIVE of AA FAQ and previous detail of SDFC:
Wayback Machine, 5 captures, 22 Jan 14 - 10 Apr 15
Link

Same-Day Flight Change Terms and Conditions
  • Same-Day Flight Change is only available on flights operated and marketed by American Airlines, or marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle or American Connection® carriers
  • Same-Day Flight Change will be offered to eligible passengers beginning 24 hours prior to departure through the check-in window. Eligibility shall be determined based on, but not limited to, the following factors: AAdvantage or oneworld® elite status membership, purchased fare class, ticketing status and purchase history
  • Same-Day Flight Change is subject to availability of eligible inventory
  • Same-Day Flight Change is non-transferable
  • Passengers who purchase Same-Day Flight Change and are unable to use it due to an involuntary routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection due to a late incoming flight are eligible for a refund. The refund will be automatically initiated by American Airlines on the passenger's behalf.
  • Passengers who are late for a flight for reasons other than those listed above are not eligible for a refund of the Same-Day Flight Change
  • Passengers that have purchased a Same-Day Flight Change will not receive a refund if the price decreases, nor incur a charge if the price increases
  • Any refund request will be fully refunded, or denied. There will be no partial refunds of a Same-Day Flight Change.
  • Refunds of Same-Day Flight Change will be made to the original form of payment
  • Purchases made in cash will be refunded via check
  • Refund requests must be received within 365 days of the original Same-Day Flight Change purchase
  • Same-Day Flight Change reservations are subject to cancellation unless passengers have checked in and obtained a boarding pass within the check-in window. Passengers must be present at the departure gate and ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure time to retain their reservations.
  • American Airlines expressly reserves the right in its absolute discretion to discontinue Same-Day Flight Change at any time. American Airlines will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by a purchaser resulting from such refusal, cancellation or denial
  • American Airlines reserves the right to remove any passenger for inappropriate behavior, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent. Such passengers will not be entitled to a refund.
  • American Airlines reserves the right to move any passenger from any seat for operational or security reasons. This includes passengers who do not meet exit row eligibility requirements. If a passenger is involuntarily moved to a different flight for such reasons, the passenger may request a refund of the Same-Day Flight Change at aa.com/refunds

Same-Day Standby Terms and Conditions
  • Same-Day Standby is only available on flights operated and marketed by American Airlines, or marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Eagle or American Connection® carriers
  • AAdvantage regular members and non-members may only use Same-Day Standby if Same-Day Flight Change is not available
  • Same-Day Standby will be offered to eligible passengers beginning 24 hours prior to departure through the check-in window. Eligibility shall be determined based on, but not limited to, the following factors: AAdvantage or oneworld® elite status membership, purchased fare class, ticketing status, origin and destination, and purchase history
  • AAdvantage regular members and non-members using Same-Day Standby may only stand by for an earlier flight with the same routing on the day of travel
  • Same-Day Standby is subject to availability of eligible inventory
  • Same-Day Standby is non-transferable
  • Passengers who purchase Same-Day Standby and are unable to use it due to lack of available inventory, cancellation of standby flight, or involuntary routing change are eligible for a refund. The refund will be automatically initiated by American Airlines on the passenger's behalf once the passenger completes travel on their ticketed itinerary.
  • Passengers that have purchased a Same-Day Standby will not receive a refund if the price decreases, nor incur a charge if the price increases
  • Any refund request will be fully refunded, or denied. There will be no partial refunds of a Same-Day Standby.
  • Refunds of Same-Day Standby will be made to the original form of payment
  • Purchases made in cash will be refunded via check
  • Refund requests must be received within 365 days of the original Same-Day Standby purchase
  • Same-Day Standby requests are subject to cancellation unless passengers have checked in and obtained a boarding pass within the check-in window. Passengers must be present at the departure gate and ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure time to retain their reservations.
  • American Airlines expressly reserves the right in its absolute discretion to discontinue Same-Day Standby at any time. American Airlines will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by a purchaser resulting from such refusal, cancellation or denial
  • American Airlines reserves the right to remove any passenger for inappropriate behavior, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent. Such passengers will not be entitled to a refund.
  • American Airlines reserves the right to move any passenger from any seat for operational or security reasons. This includes passengers who do not meet exit row eligibility requirements. If a passenger is involuntarily moved to a different flight for such reasons, the passenger may request a refund of the Same-Day Standby at aa.com/refunds
Print Wikipost

Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Wingtipflyer1
MMM, nope. Did not have intent to "game system" as when booking ticket I did not say "can't wait to screw AA over and take a non-stop vs connection". Luck had my meeting end earlier than anticipated, no traffic across bay bridge & thru town. Was willing to pay for change/ fare difference fee even. Continual poor service by AA (gate agent being on hold for 10 mins was pretty frustrating in itself). I get it the days of loyalty are now done, it's what have you spent in the last 12 months. Will look at the UA non-stop as option. For those who say just buy a refundable ticket, not a smart investment on my T&E as w/ most of my schedule is pretty set w/o many last min. changes w/ clients.

Had a changeable ticket today & could not change to earlier flight (only 1 hour) since flight was full which is the case more & more. Got to ride on a nice Cash for Clunkers A321 no power outlets. Paid F, cranky FA (PHL crew) but arrived 15 mins early w/ gate open. Best was NO credit card hawking announcements- now that's going for great!

Peace, WT.
Then why didn't you just pay the change fee and fare difference? That has nothing to do with SDFC and you aren't bound by any of it's restrictions.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Then why didn't you just pay the change fee and fare difference? That has nothing to do with SDFC and you aren't bound by any of it's restrictions.
1st flight check-in agent was on hold for 10+ mins & flight closed (could not PAY or Change, when I was going to PAY).
2nd flight - fully booked so couldn't change.

AA wants me to spend more, which I have this YTD & LY for EXP. However, what I see as valuable & basic services such as flight change @ airport & EXP phone line no where near as good prior to US/AA merger. Something in this area is an easy fix by AA but it seems they really don't give a rats rump.

That's-a-why.

Last edited by Wingtipflyer1; Apr 17, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Sycophant
If I'm on a paid F ticket, would it at least indicate in the AA mobile app which class of service I'd be seated in if I make a SDC change to a given flight BEFORE I make the change? I've done SDCs mostly on UA in the past and I know they indicate which class you'd be in for each of the SDC options they offer in the app.
Yes it will. And I've found recently that in IRROPS (or even just a weather waiver), if I've had an e500 upgrade clear me into F, the mobile app's options will include F options, which is nice.

Originally Posted by UA_Sycophant
Regarding Y-UP fares, aren't all "I" fares technically Y-UP fares, or are they sometimes "true" first class fares? I know that when I book these fares I generally choose the "first" fare option when booking on aa.com or ask a travel agent to book me in first class, so I'm unsure how to tell if I booking Y-UP or "true" first class short of asking for a full-fare or unrestricted first class ticket.
There are true I fares, but I'm not sure there's an easy way to search for them. I pulled up JFK-LAX for Sunday 5/20, and the IWAHZNJ1 fare is available for $658.20 on the 7 a.m. flight. Not an UP fare. Searching on matrix.itasoftware.com can be useful -- your "from" should be "JFK :: aa+ /f bc=i" and the "to" should be "LAX" (or sub in your cities; leave off quotation marks). No guarantee that everything that comes up is true I, but takes way less time to check than on aa.com or google flights.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:11 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In the WIKI it is noted (for overnight SDFC) if originating flt is between 8 pm and midnight to a midnight and 2 am--has anyone been able to do it "backwards"?
Old May 18, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I used SDFC for the first time in a long time (possibly ever) for my flight from SAN-DFW Today. I had several options to choose from, and when I chose my flight and went through the process, the system would "churn" and return an vague error message. This was on the app, and I had a similar experience on AA.com so I called the desk. The agent also had a difficult time making the change on her end and finally concluded that the trouble was due to the fact that the ticket was booked through a third party. She eventually was able to push the change through, but she said she had to do it outside the normal procedures/channels.
My ticket was booked through our corporate travel agency using Concur.
Has anyone else had trouble using SDFC on a ticket booked through Concur?
Another odd piece of this was that when it came to the seat assignment, she wasn't able to book me into my preferred exit row seat because it was making her charge me, and she advised that I change the seat myself. Once we got off the phone, I pulled the new flight up in the app and was able to select my exit row seat as normal, with no charge.
Another data point to add is that i did not loose my Pre Check status during this process (as has been reported by others).
Old May 18, 2018, 10:35 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by AAway
Another data point to add is that i did not loose my Pre Check status during this process (as has been reported by others).
I've used SDFC four or five times so far this year. Never had my PreChek messed up yet.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by OTD
I've used SDFC four or five times so far this year. Never had my PreChek messed up yet.
I added verbiage to "Note 1" of the wiki to address this.
OTD likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Looks like AA updated the SDFC/Standby page but comp SFDC on award probably still misleading.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Today I called AA to get on an earlier flight from lax-dfw tomorrow. The flight I Esther was listed at E7. I told the agent on the phone that and she barked “it’s up to the airport, let me check”. She correctly got me on the flight. Any idea what nonsense she was babbling about?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Today I called AA to get on an earlier flight from lax-dfw tomorrow. The flight I Esther was listed at E7. I told the agent on the phone that and she barked “it’s up to the airport, let me check”. She correctly got me on the flight. Any idea what nonsense she was babbling about?
Making up stuff to excuse incompetence or laziness. What does the airport have to do with this a day in advance? Unreal.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Making up stuff to excuse incompetence or laziness. What does the airport have to do with this a day in advance? Unreal.
Yes, it's a sad state that we have to travel defensively. We can not count on CSRs to know their program or to know how to work their system. All I hope for is to find someone that is willing to look into the situation and address the request. When I hit a stone wall then it's HUCA time!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I would only have mentioned E7 if the initial request had been denied.

There is a lot of "Computer Says Yes" or "Computer Says No" these days - there is little need for many agents to do more than plug your information/request into the system and check the result. They generally don't have to think beyond that. (Some don't want to think beyond that.)
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
HUCA is always my friend in those instances, but since gaining EXP, i have found the service to be excellent.

SDC is probably the benefit i use most, and they really have gone out of their way to make it work.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:11 pm

Any idea when AA is going to change SDFC to allow changes after being upgraded on their app? The unfortunate side of being EXP is that after I'm upgraded I have to call in to do a SDFC..
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Any idea when AA is going to change SDFC to allow changes after being upgraded on their app? The unfortunate side of being EXP is that after I'm upgraded I have to call in to do a SDFC..
hopefully someday. Theres lots of things I wish the AA app did.

i wish they would allow routing changes like they used to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.