Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: New SDFC / Same Day Flight Change Restrictions 8 Jun 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp

Just got off the phone with an AAgent to inquire about changing a flight today. I asked if there was E inventory on the flight that I was interested in, which was confirmed by her. She said that it wouldn't accept the change and put me on hold (to I assume call the help desk). When she came back, she told me that an update went into effect June 8 in which CFC availability is dictated my some automated system rather than E availability.

Has anyone seen or heard about this? Should I HUCA?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
E has always been employee positive space bucket. maybe there is some correlation between upgrade space and employee space, but IDK.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why not simply ask if she can change you to the flight you want?

AA no longer trains its front line agents to even understand the specifics because it is all handled by templates making your question irrelevant to the result you sought and requiring the front-line agent to call someone to figure it out.

The benefit of simply asking is that it really doesn't matter whether the agent rebooks using SDC or simply makes a change and waives the change fee.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Often1
Why not simply ask if she can change you to the flight you want?

AA no longer trains its front line agents to even understand the specifics because it is all handled by templates making your question irrelevant to the result you sought and requiring the front-line agent to call someone to figure it out.

The benefit of simply asking is that it really doesn't matter whether the agent rebooks using SDC or simply makes a change and waives the change fee.
I didn't think of posing the question that way. I will try again once I get to the airport. The agent even answered the phone as EXP desk (not that it means anything).
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
E has always been employee positive space bucket. maybe there is some correlation between upgrade space and employee space, but IDK.
Not sure why you bring up upgrades, but E was historically used to determine if confirmed flight change was allowed. OP suggests that may have changed. If so, it could certainly make something like ExpertFlyer less useful for monitoring availability of CFC.
JonNYC, C17PSGR, MilesTalk and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:24 pm

I just looked at the AA SDFC web page (https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp) and it no longer references E space availability, just says "On select routes operated and marketed by American or American Eagle, based on availability" and "Offer is made at our discretion and subject to change or termination at any time." I had to SDFC just two weeks ago, and I'm fairly certain the page referenced E space then.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GWFan
I just looked at the AA SDFC web page (https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...day-travel.jsp) and it no longer references E space availability, just says "On select routes operated and marketed by American or American Eagle, based on availability" and "Offer is made at our discretion and subject to change or termination at any time." I had to SDFC just two weeks ago, and I'm fairly certain the page referenced E space then.
Looking at past copies at web.archive.org , I cannot see any reference to E class
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Interesting. I wonder if the OP's account was similar with what an AA rep barked at me last week ("it's up to the airport for same day change").
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Looking at past copies at web.archive.org , I cannot see any reference to E class
I am not eitheronline , but this thread Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby" has several posts linking to aa.com as a source for the E class.

Actually, found a screenshot from the above thread. Bullet point #4

Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antarius
I am not eitheronline , but this thread Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby" has several posts linking to aa.com as a source for the E class.

Actually, found a screenshot from the above thread. Bullet point #4

It may well have had it stated at one time, but the terms as shown by web archive don't show that wording from anything at all recent

The link in the wiki on that thread points to the terms from 2014 where it doesn't mention E class

Other than that thread, I don't see where E class is mentioned - I am not suggesting that the thread was incorrect , just that AA seems not to have been stating it for a long time
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It may well have had it stated at one time, but the terms as shown by web archive don't show that wording from anything at all recent

The link in the wiki on that thread points to the terms from 2014 where it doesn't mention E class

Other than that thread, I don't see where E class is mentioned - I am not suggesting that the thread was incorrect , just that AA seems not to have been stating it for a long time
I suspect it got removed when the SDFC changes happened in 2016, making it free for EXP but limiting the program to no longer be able to change routing. But that is a hunch.

you are correct. I went through wayback machine also and nothing for 2 years if not more
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Recently I’ve had better luck with confirmed SDFC. Twice in one week I’ve moved to a different flight via the App and been confirmed into the last open seat in the cabin. Didn’t make sense to me but I was not one to complain. I wonder if this is just happenstance or somehow correlates with the policy change.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tismfu
Recently I’ve had better luck with confirmed SDFC. Twice in one week I’ve moved to a different flight via the App and been confirmed into the last open seat in the cabin. Didn’t make sense to me but I was not one to complain. I wonder if this is just happenstance or somehow correlates with the policy change.
​​​​​
I’ve had the same experience. Wide availability, even for flights that were nearly full.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Not sure why you bring up upgrades, but E was historically used to determine if confirmed flight change was allowed. OP suggests that may have changed. If so, it could certainly make something like ExpertFlyer less useful for monitoring availability of CFC.
ehhh just misunderstood what CFC means. I can see why AA used the E bucket, it represents the most restricted seats in the cabin (the ones given out for employee travel). AA probably came up with a more efficient formula than relying on the seats in the E bucket.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
ehhh just misunderstood what CFC means. I can see why AA used the E bucket, it represents the most restricted seats in the cabin (the ones given out for employee travel). AA probably came up with a more efficient formula than relying on the seats in the E bucket.
FWIW, I've definitely seen situations with other buckets zeroed out but with availability in E. I would be nice if they're being a bit less conservative with SDC availability, but it will be a shame if it's opaque and unpredictable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.