Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Effective today changes to the connection city are no longer permitted.

Please click or press here for the current thread.

Last edited by JDiver; May 13, 2019 at 1:39 pm Reason: Add referral link to active thread
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:06 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Thanks for sharing... Wow, AA really wants to destroy this benefit. Over at UA, SDC was something I considered the cornerstone benefit (upgrades weren't by a long shot) and it has saved my behind countless times as well as made travel so much more easier for me.

Piss poor decision by AA, all started with the July changes

Thank you for keeping us in the loop! Your contribution is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.

I can confirm that EXP agents have been thoroughly instructed in the new policy: change in routing for SDC not allowed. Connecting city and segments must now be the same for SDC. Tried 3 HUCA - same response.

It sounds like there is still some flexibility on standby options - though I'm not positive on this.

The SDC change significantly guts this benefit IMO, though I suppose it's still valuable for changes to nonstops. I'm very disappointed. And BTW, the website rules have not been updated yet to reflect this change.

Last edited by pfbloom; Feb 11, 2016 at 1:35 am
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Was hoping to do a change today but with the new rule I guess not.

Never found much E space anyway. US Move Up program had some limitations but at least it could be used on any available seat. And you could change connection city.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
I understand that "E" inventory must be available if I'm doing a CFC when flying in coach. But what if I'm already ticketed in F ? (on a milesaaver ticket, if that matters) Is there another fare bucket that needs to be available other than E, or does that restriction just not apply?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by berkeleybum
I understand that "E" inventory must be available if I'm doing a CFC when flying in coach. But what if I'm already ticketed in F ? (on a milesaaver ticket, if that matters) Is there another fare bucket that needs to be available other than E, or does that restriction just not apply?
Look upthread for "Three Juliet Tango"'s posts - same 'Premium' fare bucket needs to be available.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
Originally Posted by serfty
Look upthread for "Three Juliet Tango"'s posts - same 'Premium' fare bucket needs to be available.
Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Bummed that I can no longer change connecting cities ... Wish I had know that change was coming before I booked weekly flights through March -- one of them is through ORD and I was counting on being able to change that same day ... Maybe if the weather is very bad they'll let me reroute
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:36 am

Standby/SDC + Upgrade Possible?

I was on a LAX-JFK flight recently. It had C0 inventory, meaning no business class upgrade space (I would upgrade using a Business Extra BXP1 certificate, but an upgrade with miles would require/book into the same inventory).

I noticed that a prior flight had something like C3 available, and seats in economy as well. Would it have been possible to standby on the earlier flight and, when the standby clears, apply the upgrade? I would have to apply the upgrade (using BXP1) at the gate. I'm not sure if that's even possible.

If it's not possible to do it going standby, would it be possible to do it with a SDC? I'm PLT so the SDC would cost me $75, but obviously that's a small price to pay to confirm an upgrade on a TCON.

Basically, I know I can standby or SDC, and I know I can upgrade (assuming appropriate inventory) -- the question is, can I do both?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by crimson12
I was on a LAX-JFK flight recently. It had C0 inventory, meaning no business class upgrade space (I would upgrade using a Business Extra BXP1 certificate, but an upgrade with miles would require/book into the same inventory).

I noticed that a prior flight had something like C3 available, and seats in economy as well. Would it have been possible to standby on the earlier flight and, when the standby clears, apply the upgrade? I would have to apply the upgrade (using BXP1) at the gate. I'm not sure if that's even possible.

If it's not possible to do it going standby, would it be possible to do it with a SDC? I'm PLT so the SDC would cost me $75, but obviously that's a small price to pay to confirm an upgrade on a TCON.

Basically, I know I can standby or SDC, and I know I can upgrade (assuming appropriate inventory) -- the question is, can I do both?

Thanks in advance.
Both are possible. SDC more likely to give you the upgrade.

If you SDC, you can immediately apply the upgrade as you are now confirmed for the flight.

If you standby, you can only apply the upgrade once you are processed off the standby list. Usually, this is done after the upgrade list is processed, so there would have to be remaining empty seats.

I would agree that $75 is a small price to pay to confirm the upgrade!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:52 am

I thought its free to SDC for any elite? When I was gold early last year on my way to ExPlt, I SDC'd twice for free.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
SDC is not the same as standby.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by babypuwet
I thought its free to SDC for any elite? When I was gold early last year on my way to ExPlt, I SDC'd twice for free.
SDC is free for EXP, $75 for all other elites. If you were confirmed for free, you got lucky!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:18 pm

Thanks. I will have to pay more attention to the standby/SDC situation in the future for possible upgrades. Does anyone know what fare bucket SDCs book into? I saw a flight recently with Y1 but they said they couldn't SDC me into that one for some reason.

I've never been EXP, but I have gotten "SDC'd" for free a couple of times. What actually happens, I think, is that the agent sees that the earlier flight is wide open so I get on withoUT going through the the standby /list /clearing process. Though that's only happened at the airport, never when I call in. FWIW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.