FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Domestic SDFC / SDC /CFC Same Day Confirmed Flight Change
Old May 9, 2015, 8:00 pm
Sam_AE

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
I am flying business class on an avios redemption on AA. From my reading of the CFC policy, I should be eligible for a confirmed flight change at the 24 hour window at no charge (since I'm flying business class -- I happen to be OW Saphire too).

My question is this: if there are no business class seats available on other flights, will the online system allow me to CFC for an economy seat?
So, here's an update as to my experience, now that the <24h window is open. I tried to click on the 'same day change' icon after logging in to my AA itinerary. The next screen said there were no flight options available for this itinerary. So, I logged in to ExpertFlyer and found that, in fact, an E class seat was available (E=1) for the later flight that I wanted. From my research (and as noted on the FT wiki) this is the fare bucket from which CFC are taken.

I decided to call AA. The agent found the seat I was talking about on the later flight and said I could have it but that I would be forfeiting my business class seat. He would put me on the waiting list to be reupgraded but that there were no guarantees. Since my flight is only 1 hour, I was totally happy to just get the economy seat.

I didn't want to ask the agent making the change too many questions, but it seems to me (from my research) that CFC isn't necessarily an option for Avios/AA business class seats. The E class seat is only an economy option -- so, this may be why the online tool did not allow me to change the seat myself.

Also, I was not charged for the CFC to the later flight. Again, I don't think the no charge was related to my Business class award seat but rather the fact that I am OW Saphire.

Not sure if this experience can be repeated.... but tuck this one away just in case it becomes relevant for anyone else out there.....