Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA new brand identity, logo, livery, color scheme (17 Jan 2013) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: AA's new identity package / branding, color scheme and logo:
I love it! Innovative, striking!
20.33%
It's OK - I'm warming up to this new look.
29.62%
I'm not feeling much one way or another - it may take time.
9.29%
I think AA could have done better.
20.92%
I really hate this look - what were they thinking?
19.84%
Voters: 1023. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: incognitoMD
American Airlines CEO Tom Horton announced AA's new branding going forward at 10 AM Eastern time 17 Jan 2013. His address about the new branding and 77W color scheme rollout can be seen here. N.B. Watch the entire video and go through the pages to enter a photo contest to win up to 1 million A miles. Also, link to AA news release.

AA now has some Boeing 777-323ER, 777-223ER, 737-823ER and 767-323ER in new livery.

Print Wikipost

AA new brand identity, logo, livery, color scheme (17 Jan 2013) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sure, but I was trying to think of where I had seen multi-shaded stripes.

Originally Posted by LoneStarMike
I was comparing this to this
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hillrider
Are you kidding me? Not thrilled?? They absolutely, totally hated and despised him, publicly and through several strikes against him, including one in 1993 that would have ruined the Thanksgiving plans of millions had Clinton not intervened with a heavy hand.
I think the additional element was he was also respected, he led AA from a marginal player to the world's most admired and feared competitor. Everyone likes being on a winner even if they resent the coach treats them- think Vince Lombardi.

There is absolutely no respect for current management.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by hillrider
NYT quoted demonstrating employees that "the basic issue is the way they're treated, the way all employeees in this company are treated". Turns out that some of the bad treatment was junior employees having truly awful schedules, which of course were due to the seniority system cherished and promulgated by the unions.
IIRC, his brilliant cost reduction move in the eighties was negotiating a two-track employment system with the unions where existing "legacy" employees got more generous pay and work rules while new hires got hosed in comparison. This was only good enough for a few years, I guess.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Forget the "conspiracy theory" that the new AA tail design is because it mirrors similarities of USAirways; instead I propose another conspiracy theory:

The reason for the new ribbon logo for American, is to mirror that of British Airways since they want to have IAG invest the max that they can to keep US' hands off AA, and ensure it stays in OneWorld. :P
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by colmc
I quite like it. It's grown on me more and more. Can't wait to see the 77W rolled out in it.
I agree with you. I can't wait!! I bet that we're excited to see new logo.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:39 am

Small point, but I think AA updated the new EXP cards back to black from the "platinum" color that was close to the PLT cards.

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Please keep this thread on topic; discussions about previous AA CEOs, etc. are off topic, and may be summarily deleted.

Posts regarding AA invitations to visit the airport to see the new aircraft have been moved to: Invitation from AA to see their new plane in person.

Discussions about the new brand website havee been moved to: AA aa.com Web Site in Transition [new brand site issues, 2013 Q1].

Thanks,

/Moderator
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Cool

When I first saw the tail, my mind immediately went to 1984 Los Angeles Summer Olympic Games logo.

I did like that one.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by United757
Small point, but I think AA updated the new EXP cards back to black from the "platinum" color that was close to the PLT cards.

It looks alright, but the tags look pretty bland. I like the current EXP tags with the picture of the world in the background.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It looks alright, but the tags look pretty bland. I like the current EXP tags with the picture of the world in the background.
and the green oneworld oval! Can't forget that!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
As a minor form of protest, I will continue using my old logo cards until they expire and old luggage tags until they fall off.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
As a minor form of protest, I will continue using my old logo cards until they expire and old luggage tags until they fall off.
+1 ^
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
As long as I get to sit in the seats that I want and get into the lounges I want, the planes could have pictures of Hello Kitty, or that banal fat little girl from the south (or wherever she's from) that I've heard about, but don't recall her name, for all I care. Boo boo something.

In the irrelevant minutiae category.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by United757

wow that was a quick switch! ... BTW, on my Android phone, the AA app is still showing the gray/silver/platinum appearance for my EXP card.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
AA Rebranding: A real revival or just a change of scenery?

Over the past months, I have watched AA slowly and seemingly make progress in digging themselves out of the bankrupt hole that they were in. I had a vested interest in their product because I bought their stock when it was dirt cheap and rode it until a week or so ago and cashed in the chips at a handsome gain - go me!!

While their progress seemed to make investors happy recently, is that going to translate into making customers happy? Since they are where their revenue comes from.

The new livery seems to have turned some heads and ruffled some feathers - mostly in a good way. Progress has been made with updating their aged fleet with the goal of having "the youngest fleet in the sky" and looks to have the green light for the future. Updates to interior design on aircraft, refreshed seats, etc. have garnered some positive feedback. And above all, the overall rebranding and facelift of the AA name has seemed to have given them the push they needed to make their true foray into the 21st century.

While all these changes look great on paper and sound great to us chatting about them, the question(s) remains:

Are customers going to appreciate the changes?

Are those who strayed from AA of late going to come back after seeing these new developments? Is customer loyalty going to increase?

And above all:
Is this the revival of the AA we once knew, one where flying was an event, or is this just the same AA wearing a new shirt and tie?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.