Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation fun: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? Dropped? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation fun: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? Dropped? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 110pgl
PIT?

It is a ghost town since US de-hubbed it years ago. I believe it has less than 50% of the flights it once did.
The new AA didn't shrink PIT so it's not realy relevant to FWAAA's comment.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't think the new AA has shrunk anything.

The quote was...

Originally Posted by FWAAA
New AA has a lot of flights at IND, CMH and PIT. ...
New AA = pmAA + pmUS

I said...

PIT?

It is a ghost town since US de-hubbed it years ago. I believe it has less than 50% of the flights it once did.
I think we are violently agreeing on the future.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PIT?

Gosh, thanks. I'm so unaware that I had no idea. PIT was de-hubbed?

New AA (combined AA + US) flies more flights at PIT than did either old AA or old US on December 8, 2013 (the day before the merger closed). Same thing at IND. Same thing at CMH. Same thing at other medium-sized cities like TPA or STL or MCI.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Precisely. Lots of spokes now feature more daily flights with new AA than they did with either of the predecessor airlines on December 8 of last year. Doesn't mean any of those spokes has a chance of becoming yet another "focus city" or mini-hub.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
New AA has yet to begin the hub-shrinking process, but it's inevitable. New AA has a lot of hubs.
I would argue that none of AA's current hubs are as marginal as MEM/CLE were as hubs. They are much closer to MSP/SLC/DTW/DEN in terms of their utility (and will be kept around). PHX is a top-15 US city that's expanding population, CLT is in a region where you'd like to have a hub (the US Atlantic SE) and is also growing. PHL's too big to cough up.

Service will be rationalized... but hubs will not be eliminated. I think AA can make the current hub arrangement work: PHX is the interior hub for LAX (handles California/Mountain West/Mexico, LAX is O/D and TPAC), PHL is the interior hub for JFK/LGA (NE Atlantic Seaboard, JFK/LGA is O/D, TATL), CLT is the interior hub for MIA (Atlantic SE, MIA is O/D and S/Central America), and ORD and DFW do what they do now.

Precisely. Lots of spokes now feature more daily flights with new AA than they did with either of the predecessor airlines on December 8 of last year. Doesn't mean any of those spokes has a chance of becoming yet another "focus city" or mini-hub.
Does this mean the new 6x daily LIT-NRT service with newly purchased A380s might not happen?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Nov 13, 2014 at 11:47 am
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I just took the LAX-TPA-LAX redeye turn on a MR Monday night. Both flights were maybe 2/3 full at best. And on a slick 738... seemed like they could use that plane on more popular routes but maybe its too far for a smaller plane to do LAX-TPA? It was nice not having to walk far to the Admirals club tho. A welcome surprise after navigating the underground tunnels from T3-T4 at LAX :-)
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:08 pm

Gosh, thanks. I'm so unaware that I had no idea. PIT was de-hubbed?...

No problem. I am glad I could help you.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The Club in TPA is always moderately busy and a treasure of the legacy US system. I bet the local authority will give AA a rent deal to keep it open.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Does this mean the new 6x daily LIT-NRT service with newly purchased A380s might not happen?
As I keep telling people, LIT-NRT won't happen until the LIT Flagship Lounge reopens. AA will then operate it with a dedicated fleet of 797LR aircraft with 10 rows of MCE and 10 rows of first class suites.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat., HH Gold
The only "mini-hub" that I can think of is Boston.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedracer2
The only "mini-hub" that I can think of is Boston.
Agreed. Even before the merger, I posted that AA should be able to fly BOS-DUB and perhaps restore BOS-SFO and BOS-STL. Not a full-fledged giant hub, but some additional services.

Far cry from 15 years ago when the Business Express purchase gave BOS the third largest Eagle hub (behind DFW and ORD).

With the merger, new AA is the largest legacy airline by passengers and the largest airline by revenue in BOS. Perhaps when the lie-flat seat installation is complete, AA could re-enter BOS-LHR. Plus, there may be other second-tier cities within range of a 75L (MAN?)?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Agreed. Even before the merger, I posted that AA should be able to fly BOS-DUB and perhaps restore BOS-SFO and BOS-STL. Not a full-fledged giant hub, but some additional services.

Far cry from 15 years ago when the Business Express purchase gave BOS the third largest Eagle hub (behind DFW and ORD).

With the merger, new AA is the largest legacy airline by passengers and the largest airline by revenue in BOS. Perhaps when the lie-flat seat installation is complete, AA could re-enter BOS-LHR. Plus, there may be other second-tier cities within range of a 75L (MAN?)?
Didn't AA used to fly BOS-MAN with a 757? I know that once upon a time, US operated transatlantic flights from BOS seasonally (at least for a short period in the 90s).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Didn't AA used to fly BOS-MAN with a 757? I know that once upon a time, US operated transatlantic flights from BOS seasonally (at least for a short period in the 90s).
I don't ever remember BOS-MAN. AA currently fly JFK-MAN, and used to operate BOS-LHR, both most recently on internationally configured 757s.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Yes they did but it didn't last very long. It was around 2005 before any 757s had been configured with a J product. It was a standard domestic 757 and the entire aircraft was sold as economy with elites being able to select the domestic F cabin.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by skitch23
I just took the LAX-TPA-LAX redeye turn on a MR Monday night. Both flights were maybe 2/3 full at best. And on a slick 738... seemed like they could use that plane on more popular routes but maybe its too far for a smaller plane to do LAX-TPA? It was nice not having to walk far to the Admirals club tho. A welcome surprise after navigating the underground tunnels from T3-T4 at LAX :-)
I am guessing at this time the flight is a response to DL's direct flight and the LAX battle.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Yes they did but it didn't last very long. It was around 2005 before any 757s had been configured with a J product. It was a standard domestic 757 and the entire aircraft was sold as economy with elites being able to select the domestic F cabin.
Wasn't that to DUB? Or am I losing my mind? The latter is very possible...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.