Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation fun: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? Dropped? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation fun: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? Dropped? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Didn't AA used to fly BOS-MAN with a 757? I know that once upon a time, US operated transatlantic flights from BOS seasonally (at least for a short period in the 90s).
The only time US did that was in the early 90's for a year. It was a 762 that ran CLT-BOS-FRA (when US initiated service to FRA). Then it just became CLT-FRA. I don't remember anything else out of BOS on US metal after that.

As for BOS going forward, the 757 can reach every destination in the western half of Europe from there, except Italy. In addition to the O&D traffic, there is plenty of feed coming off of the LGA/DCA/ORD/DFW/LAX/MIA flights. As well as the AS feed. Even more so if SFO-BOS is re-instated.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The only time US did that was in the early 90's for a year. It was a 762 that ran CLT-BOS-FRA (when US initiated service to FRA). Then it just became CLT-FRA. I don't remember anything else out of BOS on US metal after that.

As for BOS going forward, the 757 can reach every destination in the western half of Europe from there, except Italy. In addition to the O&D traffic, there is plenty of feed coming off of the LGA/DCA/ORD/DFW/LAX/MIA flights. As well as the AS feed. Even more so if SFO-BOS is re-instated.
Gotcha.. thanks for keeping me straight. In terms of Transatlantic travel for BOS, I think the 757 is actually tolerable as actual flight times are very short (most flights to major cities are generally six hours).
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by FLgrr
I am guessing at this time the flight is a response to DL's direct flight and the LAX battle.
Not everything is a "response."

AA is building up its LAX network and Tampa is a logical addition. AA is the largest airline between California and Florida and the largest trans-con carrier out of LAX, and adding Tampa to that network just makes sense regardless of what Delta does or doesn't do.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
Wasn't that to DUB? Or am I losing my mind? The latter is very possible...
There may have been a DUB flight in there as well, but MAN definitely did exist, maybe even just for a single summer.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by Microwave
Wasn't that to DUB? Or am I losing my mind? The latter is very possible...
Not to cast aspersions on the state of your mind (), but BOS-MAN definitely existed. I took it a couple of times.

BOS-DUB definitely existed as an AA codeshare on EI metal. Not sure if it ever ran on AA metal.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Starwood Platnium, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Speculation: RDU... [future plans and expansion?]

RDU in the nineties used to an American hub but in the late nineties they shut it down. One of the terminals is basically split between AA/Delta/US Airways. They have consolidated the US Airways club into the AA club. What I am wondering since Charlotte is so close and is a mega US Airways hub would AA invest in having more direct flights from RDU. Currently there is 2 international flights to LHR everyday with AA and a flight is coming that will be non-stop to Germany as well with AA. Does anyone know if AA has plans on expanding at RDU again?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Jeff Sloyer
What I am wondering since Charlotte is so close and is a mega US Airways hub would AA invest in having more direct flights from RDU.
I think they'll get right on that, after they start the new LIT-NRT service I hear they've been planning for years...

In all seriousness, a nearby hub in CLT makes restarting a RDU hub less likely.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I think they'll get right on that, after they start the new LIT-NRT service I hear they've been planning for years...

In all seriousness, a nearby hub in CLT makes restarting a RDU hub less likely.
You won't see LIT-NRT anytime soon. Nobody know for sure. You have go through DFW-NRT or LAX-NRT.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I don't believe you will see any significant growth from AA+US at RDU.

There are not 2 flights from RDU to LHR daily; there is only one (AA 174). AA has not announced any service from RDU to Germany. Most speculation I've heard is that the second nonstop from RDU to Europe, if it happens at all, is likely to be Delta to Paris or Amsterdam.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Jeff Sloyer
Currently there is 2 international flights to LHR everyday with AA and a flight is coming that will be non-stop to Germany as well with AA.
Ummm... no. RDU only has one international flight to London and that is the way it is going to be. AA DOES NOT have service from RDU to Germany. They never have done.

In the long term, I actually see little hope regarding service from RDU. With Charlotte so close and the fact that population of CLT is almost double of Raleigh, the fact that Charlotte has many Fourtune 500 companies and that CLT has more than 700 daily flights (in peak season), I don't really see how any additional AA expansion from RDU would be feasible and really IMO I don't think RDU-LHR will be around in 5 years, just my two cents.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
population of CLT is almost double of Raleigh
Whoa. Charlotte MSA was 2,335,358 last year. Triangle MSA was 2,037,430. You should come over sometime and look around. Let's see what happens in CLT when BofA moves the corporate HQ to the northeast, an inevitability.

I don't think RDU-LHR will be around in 5 years, just my two cents.
Have you ever been on AA 173/174? Good load factors, good yield (i.e. mostly paying pax up front), and a guarantee of revenue from local businesses. People have been predicting the failure of this route within 5 years ever since it began in 1994. It's still operating. What I think could easily happen, however, is for AA+US to hand over the route to BA... similar to the BA AUS-LHR route. Personally I'd be fine with that.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Speculation: RDU... [future plans and expansion?]

RDU-LHR isn't going disappear. However, I would not expect to see any big increase in mainline flights beyond the hubs anytime soon. At this point, I'm just hoping the LAX flight survives.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by socalduck
RDU-LHR isn't going disappear. However, I would not expect to see any big increase in mainline flights beyond the hubs anytime soon. At this point, I'm just hoping the LAX flight survives.
This about sums it up. RDU-LHR will stay (either with AA or BA). AA has no need to start RDU-XYZ if it can currently be flown RDU-CLT-XYZ (too risky with little reward), but on the other hand as long as the existing routes are profitable there's no reason to move them to CLT and piss off a bunch of customers by making them take a connection (many have been loyal to AA for a long time, since the old hub--- although DL has been siphoning off some elites).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by ccengct
Whoa. Charlotte MSA was 2,335,358 last year. Triangle MSA was 2,037,430.
Whoa, read what I say first. I said the population of Charlotte, not Charlotte MSA. Population of Charlotte: approximately 757,000. Population of Raleigh: 395,000!

Originally Posted by ccengct
Let's see what happens in CLT when BofA moves the corporate HQ to the northeast, an inevitability.
Yeah, yeah. The loss of BoA has been predicted for at least 10 years. BoA won't move, but if they do (extremely small chance) the entire CLT office won't close but would become just a regional and retail banking HQ, but that won't happen.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:20 am

Whoa, read what I say first. I said the population of Charlotte, not Charlotte MSA. Population of Charlotte: approximately 757,000. Population of Raleigh: 395,000!
With any airport you need to look at the population in the catchment area and not just the city. Nevertheless, if we're going to start throwing numbers around, the DU in RDU also stands for Durham which has a population of 245K. Still 'only' 640K when combined with Raleigh but I refer back to my original point that the airport serves a larger market than just the city of Raleigh (or Raleigh and Durham).

I agree though that RDU is likely to see a scaling back of AA services or a shift towards the hubs before expanding into new routes; but I'd like to be proven wrong. At least with the merger I have more connection options to get down to the Triangle from YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.