Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation fun: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? Dropped? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation fun: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? Dropped? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Airline stocks have always been horrible investments. Any investor with half a brain will always stay miles away from these stocks, Charles Schubs expert advise aside.
Indeed. As Robert Crandall very eloquently put it a decade or two ago, "airlines are not an investment."
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
No I was talking about IAD. IAD became a decent sized operation for US (and Metrojet) and probably had close to 150 flights a day at its peak....
It did, but the time frame is a little off on that, that's why I was confused in your example. The IAD buildup was part of Wolf's vision (including MetroJet and the expansion of Shuttle to IAD), and weren't legacy AL-US/PI/PS. That was a good two generations later in US history/strategy. IND would have been in with the hubs in BWI (though it survived longer), DAY, etc.. Those were actually listed as hubs in the US magazine, with maps, after the PI merger.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, Delta Sky Miles
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
This thread delivers.

PHX is a backwater, third world crpahole that's going to become the next STL because it's "barely a hub" already at 300 flights/day. ORD is surely going to be slashed and burned. And JFK is definitely going to be the first to be cut.

Worthless speculation, indeed.
PHX also has the 3rd lowest percentage of regional operations. 65% of AA's PHX daily departures are mainline.

This alone differentiates PHX from CLE, CVG, MEM, PIT, and STL.

Plus, the airport authority at PHX will do anything for AA just like it would do anything for US or HP. They're committed to doing everything in their power to have AA keep the hub at PHX and AA's share of local O/D is increasing.

I don't see all of the doom and gloom for PHX. The Phoenix economy is growing and has finally begun to diversify, the population is continuing to increase, and there is ample O/D traffic. It's not a "flashy" city like Chicago, LA, NYC, or even Dallas.

However, daily departures have remained mostly flat between HP, US, and now AA. Capacity has increased as a lot of 733/A319 flights have been ungauged to A320s or LAA 738s and many former A320 flights have been ungauged to A321s.

WN hasn't grown in PHX in at least 10 years (other than up gauging some flights to 738s) as they've passed on growth to PHX to grow elsewhere (which is why AA is now the O/D leader). F9 and NK are trying some things but haven't really made a huge dent in the local market. G4 has built a decent operation at IWA but I don't believe they really effect AA either.

While I don't see intercontinental flights. I can see some additional connecting of the dots to places such as BNA, CLE, COS, FLL, and RDU (Yes, I know WN flies to all of these locations nonstop (except for COS) but they're the largest holes in AA's network from PHX).

Last edited by ztonyg; Jun 27, 2016 at 8:39 am
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ztonyg
While I don't see intercontinental flights. I can see some additional connecting of the dots to places such as BNA, CLE, COS, FLL, and RDU (Yes, I know WN flies to all of these locations nonstop (except for COS) but they're the largest holes in AA's network from PHX).
All of these are former US destinations from PHX with the exception of BNA, which US served from LAS only. CLE and FLL service just ended a few months ago. Add to that other secondary cities that formerly saw service, such as MSY, YYZ, IAD, BDL, and PBI, and some west coast cities like MFR and EUG.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
DP has sold over 2.5 million shares for over 94 million dollars at a average share price of $36 since 13FEB2014.
http://fortune.com/2016/04/29/americ...rker-contract/

Parker’s compensation structure was changed in May last year. According to the revised structure, he no longer receives a base salary, an annual bonus payment or any other cash compensation, but instead receives his pay in the form of American Airlines stock grant in April each year.
So according to you, he should keep all his stock and pay his mortgage and other expenses how, exactly, since he isn't getting any other cash compensation?

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
This thread delivers.

PHX is a backwater, third world crpahole that's going to become the next STL because it's "barely a hub" already at 300 flights/day. ORD is surely going to be slashed and burned. And JFK is definitely going to be the first to be cut.

Worthless speculation, indeed.
So, that means new A380s to fly the LIT-NRT route, right?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
nevermind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.