Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "upgraded" Android app as of 6 Apr 2017

AA "upgraded" Android app as of 6 Apr 2017

Old Apr 6, 17, 4:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,351
AA "upgraded" Android app as of 6 Apr 2017

A search of the forum did not bring up anything about the new app that AA started today. I like the new app.

The app has several new features and is more user friendly than the old version.

It seems that a lot of time and thought went into the new app.

If there is already a thread on the new app, please delete or combine this.
dgcpaphd is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 5:00 pm
  #2  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BTR
Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Gold; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Posts: 6,143
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
A search of the forum did not bring up anything about the new app that AA started today. I like the new app.

The app has several new features and is more user friendly than the old version.

It seems that a lot of time and thought went into the new app.

If there is already a thread on the new app, please delete or combine this.
More info needed.

I assume this must be an Android app?

The latest iOs app is dated Feb 7, 2017.
controller1 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 6:39 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,351
Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
More info needed.

I assume this must be an Android app?

The latest iOs app is dated Feb 7, 2017.
Sorry about that. You are correct. The upgrade was made to Android phones.

-
dgcpaphd is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 6:48 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 1,955
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
Sorry about that. You are correct. The upgrade was made to Android phones.

-
So what's the upgrade...
iadisgreat is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 6:56 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,351
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
So what's the upgrade...
More features that are useful and the app is more user friendly.

Try it, you will like it.
dgcpaphd is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 7:23 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Posts: 636
Lipstick on a pig. At first glance I see zero functional and meaningful changes to the app, just a new look and feel.

Does it look nicer? Yes. Are there new useful features? None that I've noticed.

They're still embarrassingly behind the times. Personally, I look at United's app as the one that AA should be aspiring to.
sjpmurph01 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 7:34 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 1,955
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
More features that are useful and the app is more user friendly.

Try it, you will like it.
Don't see one new feature. Just a different way it shows your active trips - any selection you make takes you back to the old interface.
iadisgreat is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 12:43 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Brisbane AU
Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Posts: 1,306
Originally Posted by sjpmurph01 View Post
Lipstick on a pig. At first glance I see zero functional and meaningful changes to the app, just a new look and feel.

Does it look nicer? Yes. Are there new useful features? None that I've noticed.

They're still embarrassingly behind the times. Personally, I look at United's app as the one that AA should be aspiring to.
Agreed on all counts. Still doesn't look like you can book flights natively in the app and I'm not sure I see any new features, let alone fixing the issues discussed here (like the codeshare seat map issue or the buggy upgrade/standby list). As mentioned earlier, many of the secondary screens still seem to be the old design. And it actually seems to run slower for me now...

The UA app is miles ahead of AA and DL. The best feature is waking up at 4 am for an early-morning flight, SDFCing myself to a later flight in the UA app in <30 seconds, and then going back to sleep...
SpeedRicer is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 12:50 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,229
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer View Post
Agreed on all counts. Still doesn't look like you can book flights natively in the app and I'm not sure I see any new features, let alone fixing the issues discussed here (like the codeshare seat map issue or the buggy upgrade/standby list). As mentioned earlier, many of the secondary screens still seem to be the old design. And it actually seems to run slower for me now...

The UA app is miles ahead of AA and DL. The best feature is waking up at 4 am for an early-morning flight, SDFCing myself to a later flight in the UA app in <30 seconds, and then going back to sleep...
Agreed that AA is dead last. However what can you expect for an airline that doesn't even do instant ticketing keying in 2017. As for UA/DL I find each has their own strengths. However I wouldn't classify UA as being miles ahead of DL. You can just as easily do a SDC using DL app.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 1:22 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Posts: 1,314
I can't seem to see upgrade lists anymore...
no2chem is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 4:29 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Posts: 556
I received this update last night. It seems to just be a fresh new look for the same limited functionality. Clicking "book flights" still takes you to a web browser session.
kingstontoon is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 5:03 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: QDF
Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Posts: 1,003
I give it a quadruple-meh.

I don't know how managers are constantly convinced to spend vast amounts of money on UI rejiggering, while ignoring massive gaps in core functionality.
PlatinumScum is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 7:43 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Posts: 5,336
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum View Post
I give it a quadruple-meh.

I don't know how managers are constantly convinced to spend vast amounts of money on UI rejiggering, while ignoring massive gaps in core functionality.
Because it "shows" progress (and is way easier )
teemuflyer is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 7:52 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: AA-EXP
Posts: 350
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
I can't seem to see upgrade lists anymore...
You have to scroll up the bottom tab (that says Boarding Pass and Seats). It then has links to Upgrade List, Manage Trip, and Share Trip.
Uzzar is offline  
Old Apr 7, 17, 9:02 am
  #15  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Posts: 5,622
I don't often say this, but I find the posts by the OP to be contextually unusual. Do you have some connection to the developer of the new app?
sbrower is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: