FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Speculation fun: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? Dropped? (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1627606-speculation-fun-will-xxx-next-aa-focus-city-hub-dropped-consolidated.html)

shadesofgrey1x Nov 10, 2014 3:47 pm

Speculation fun: Will xxx be the next AA focus city / hub? Dropped? (consolidated)

How easy could it get for AA in the merger? Both airlines in the same terminal, along with OW partner BA. The US club already there where AA had none. Both in one of the shiny newer TPA terminals (unlike ugghhh where they are in FLL, boy what a dump!). Could this be a new mini-focus city for AA?? I see they are adding TPA-LAX Non stop as well now.

Could we see some more major TPA offerings, very soon?

cmd320 Nov 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x (Post 23821800)
How easy could it get for AA in the merger? Both airlines in the same terminal, along with OW partner BA. The US club already there where AA had none. Both in one of the shiny newer TPA terminals (unlike ugghhh where they are in FLL, boy what a dump!). Could this be a new mini-focus city for AA?? I see they are adding TPA-LAX Non stop as well now.

Could we see some more major TPA offerings, very soon?

Highly doubt TPA will be a new focus city for AA. If by more offerings at TPA you mean more flights, I would say that's pretty unlikely to occur with any kind of bulk.

MKE-MR Nov 10, 2014 4:57 pm

I think the hierarchy of names goes:

Fortress Hub
Hub
Focus City
Mini Focus City
Served only by RJs

So...TPA's already there! :D

FAA1996 Nov 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Feels likee they've actually been cutting back. JFK flights went Eagle and are now gone. :-(

rrgg Nov 10, 2014 6:18 pm

TPA will become a focus city when people stop over using "perfect storm."

dcdavido Nov 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Don't forget DCA is a hub. The route from Washington to TPA has a lot of government DoD traffic. Right now UA won the city pair with IAD to TPA. But UA also has EWR as a CO old hub. Any time it gets down to UA vs. old CO, with all CO management, you know CO will win out. IAD is losing flights.

I'd be aggressive and fight for West Florida via TPA. The only problem is Southwest.

Fanjet Nov 10, 2014 7:55 pm

I don't see TPA getting any new service outside of a hub or focus city.

grahampros Nov 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Simple answer..NO. TPA will be lucky to maintain the service it has. It's a low yield leisure market with MIA less then 200 miles away. May not even have an AAdirmals club within 5 years.

Microwave Nov 11, 2014 2:37 am

Tampa is well positioned for the TPA-LIT-NRT flight. Not likely until the TPA Flagship Lounge opens though.

:D

Snuggs Nov 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by grahampros (Post 23823298)
Simple answer..NO. TPA will be lucky to maintain the service it has. It's a low yield leisure market with MIA less then 200 miles away. May not even have an AAdirmals club within 5 years.

Oh, sure, I've not gotten the chance to visit yet and already talk about mothballing...

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Nov 11, 2014 3:46 pm

From a connecting standpoint, TPA is a dream. But from an O&D perspective and a hub 250 miles away in MIA I see very little in TPA's future. Hopefully, the AC will remain open, that concourse is really sparse on options.

Global321 Nov 12, 2014 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 23827678)
From a connecting standpoint, TPA is a dream. But from an O&D perspective and a hub 250 miles away in MIA I see very little in TPA's future. Hopefully, the AC will remain open, that concourse is really sparse on options.

Agreed. TPA is not going to happen. Small market. Larger market close by.

flyingbrick Nov 13, 2014 12:37 am

OP is dreaming. TPA is exactly the kind of airport that will be screwed over by flight cuts and high prices due to the reduced competition.

FWAAA Nov 13, 2014 10:02 am

New AA has a lot of flights at IND, CMH and PIT. And none of them has any chance of additional non-hub flights (note that they're all former US/HP hubs). Same thing at BNA and RDU. They're not coming back either.

New AA has yet to begin the hub-shrinking process, but it's inevitable. New AA has a lot of hubs.

Global321 Nov 13, 2014 10:26 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 23836472)
New AA has a lot of flights at IND, CMH and PIT. And none of them has any chance of additional non-hub flights (note that they're all former US/HP hubs). Same thing at BNA and RDU. They're not coming back either.

New AA has yet to begin the hub-shrinking process, but it's inevitable. New AA has a lot of hubs.

PIT?

It is a ghost town since US de-hubbed it years ago. I believe it has less than 50% of the flights it once did.