Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
No love and no coupon for me. I'm just a 7-year EXP so they probably figure they have me anyway.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Cannot see how AA could manage without the sales coming through Expedia and its affiliates.

AA sent me as well the 15% coupon. As I have said before I don't see any reason to book on AA.com unless I have a discount coupon or voucher to use. I am EXP, UA 1K, DL DM, and CO PLT (all earned). I love the ease of comparing the prices, flight times etc on Expedia's of the world.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm baffled at how AA think it can lose all the corporate sales that go through Orbitz and Expedia, that is where the money is

I use another OTA but if this is where AA is going, then I'm going to have to eventually say bye bye. While I book AA.com for personal stuff,60-80% of my EQM's are via work. Those are definitely at a higher fare basis than my leisure travel as well including paid J for Int'l travel
Old Dec 25, 2010, 2:08 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
I agree with most here. AA is no WN and they won't be able to survive without the various OTAs; their product is simply not differentiated enough.

We obviously don't have all the data here, but AA has got to be hurting from Expedia's move to depreference. Orbitz is one thing but Expedia is a major player.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AA and DL engaged in signaling to one another and other industry participants to wage battle against the online travel agencies?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ravel-etc.html
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vasantn
No love and no coupon for me. I'm just a 7-year EXP so they probably figure they have me anyway.
Have you booked AA tickets via Expedia and/or Orbitz in recent times? Other long-time EXPs got the coupons on the evening of December 24th, but all seemed to have used one, the other or perhaps both at some time earlier this year.

[Unfortunately for me, SAAnta came a few minutes too late, as just a few minutes before receiving this coupon I had just booked a rather expensive AA ticket -- for a flight that has since been subjected to a nearly 16-hour delay sparked by quite so ordinary weather conditions at this time of year -- so as to use one of the many remaining AA systemwide upgrades before they expire at February's end.]
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
ARRRGH;

I deleted the email that announced the Orbitz thing without reading it since I knew what was up. Bet you it had a 15% discount in it.

Any suggestions on what I might do to try and get one? (It's not in my deleted email folder).

UPDATE;

Saved by a flyertalk Santa!

Thanks Santa and FT community!

Last edited by beachfan; Dec 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:09 pm

I support AA in their quest to regain control of its distribution channels. The only airline that has full control of it is Southwest and they can generate more revenue since they don't have to pay the GDS's for every booking. As a Hospitality and Tourism Management student, I have done research on how hotels lost control of their distribution channels. Hotel brands have been trying to regain control and make people book through their websites, but based on decision they made 10 years ago, now it is close to impossible. Volume now comes from OTA's which have been squeezing hotels with high markups. Airlines need to regain control now or they will face similar problems in the future.

By the way, I also received a 15% discount code. I normally don't book through Expedia, but this month I went to Las Vegas 3 times for free using the C$300 discount coupon of Expedia Canada. Therefore, AA thinks I started booking with Expedia insteade of using their own website. I will only use Expedia for airline mistake fares only bookable through OTA's or when they give coupons like the C$300!!!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rojo
I support AA in their quest to regain control of its distribution channels. The only airline that has full control of it is Southwest and they can generate more revenue since they don't have to pay the GDS's for every booking. As a Hospitality and Tourism Management student, I have done research on how hotels lost control of their distribution channels. Hotel brands have been trying to regain control and make people book through their websites, but based on decision they made 10 years ago, now it is close to impossible. Volume now comes from OTA's which have been squeezing hotels with high markups. Airlines need to regain control now or they will face similar problems in the future.
A better way to think about it is, "Horse, Barn, Out"

By the way as a 'hospitality and tourism management student' keep in mind overall industry growth is driven by deregulation and free market competition. Many suppliers would like to have it both ways. Industry growth not restricted competition will enhance your career opportunities.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
And do keep in mind that the GDS' cost structure and distribution model is in part due to AA itself. AA OWNED SABRE and milked that cashcow for decades before spinning it off. In doing that, AA created the GDS' pay to play model. Without any support from other carriers (the Delta case with smaller OTAs is a different core issue), AA will not find this battle sustainable.

During the GDS content negotiations of 2006 (I believe that was the year), the GDS' were in big trouble as all the airlines' contracts were up and all banded together to change the model (drop commissions, pay for content). That is not happening here...yet. I don't blame AA for wanting to change the model and reduce distribution costs, but they better have a good replacement/improvement to the distribution landscape. AA's present vision of 'direct connect' is laughable.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 2:14 am
Suspended

The airlines just want to push the costs to the consumer/corporate client on an a la carte basis.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP since inception
Originally Posted by vasantn
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have you booked AA tickets via Expedia and/or Orbitz in recent times? Other long-time EXPs got the coupons on the evening of December 24th, but all seemed to have used one, the other or perhaps both at some time earlier this year.
I'm guessing the e-mail with the discount promo to vasantn is just in queue.

I have never booked a ticket via Orbitz or Expedia, but I got the promo - probably because I'm EXP.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP since inception
Originally Posted by mreed911
The same leadership that avoided bankruptcy, you mean? Those clueless, inept managers who managed a company so well it didn't require a cort-mandated bailout or government assistance?
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
At this point in time those managers have put AA in the position of being on the bottom rung of the legacy airlines.
I have heard lots of people claim that AA's decision to avoid bankruptcy was "not a good thing". The argument being that it prevented them from being able to get out of all their too-costly-contracts the way the bankrupt carriers were, instead forcing them to have to renegotiate with the unions, thereby exacerbating all the already volatile management-labor relationship, yada yada.

I'm no captain of industry, but that does seem to make sense. I can see how bankruptcy is not good when you're the only one in your industry doing it. I guess I can also see how it is not good when you are the only one not doing it, and it leaves so many of your competitors stronger.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I support AA in their quest to regain control of its distribution channels. The only airline that has full control of it is Southwest and they can generate more revenue since they don't have to pay the GDS's for every booking. As a Hospitality and Tourism Management student, I have done research on
Southwest is present on the US's largest GDS, Sabre, albeit with a sweetheart deal.

GDS are way too expensive, completely agree, and AA's solution (of going from agencies being paid by the GDSs for their bookings to agencies having to pay to make bookings--technology costs etc.) is a bit of a pipedream at the moment.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

According to Soleil Securities analyst Jake Fuller, quoted here, the economics are as follows:

by cutting out GDS middlemen, American Airlines would save around $9 per ticket in GDS fees, and the OTAs would lose around $5 per ticket they collect from GDSs in the form of incentives. Fuller estimates that GDS incentives account for about 5% of Expedia’s revenue and 15% of Orbitz revenue, so Orbitz faces much greater exposure to GDS bypass initiatives.

Meanwhile, Expedia’s showdown with American Airlines could heat up even further over the next week or so because the American Airlines-Expedia contract expires Dec. 31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.