Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
UA/CO is pulling the plug on Travelport in 2012.

WSJ
UA is dropping Apollo, the reservation system, not the GDS.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: A few
Thank goodness this all happened after the Expedia.ca screw up! That last free MR got me EXP for 2011

But I have to say I have no idea what AA is doing... they seem to be cutting back routes across the board, adding only relatively obscure routes. They really seem to lack AMBITION as much as leadership. Seem content to be just part of the BA/Iberia conglomerate and play second fiddle to DL/UA/CO

I'm still trying to decide between DL and AA for my primary carrier next year, not an easy decision, but AA keeps helping to push their customers away for sure.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by johndeere19
As a frequent user of both Orbitz and expedia, I'm disappointed to see this happen. The biggest hit to me personally is going to be the inability to book flight/hotel packages at significantly reduced prices (esp after a coupon is applied) and use AA as the carrier.
Originally Posted by swag
An excellent point, since that's the main time I book via Expedia as well. But I just did a test search, and vacation packages are treated like air-only bookings. That is, AA won't appear in the matrix, but you can scroll thru the flight listings and still see AA flights listed (with no price); once you select it, the price is shown.

So, yes, the well-educated and determined consumer can still get AA flights with the package savings.
You can still do this through AAVacations.com. Many times the price for the airfare and hotel is only slightly more (and sometimes less) than the airfare alone.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
UA is dropping Apollo, the reservation system, not the GDS.
I am fairly certain that it's going to be all of it. This is just a stepping stone.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I do believe that AA has made a colossal error in judgment here, and will be forced to eat crow. Their attempts to cast this in a positive light on aa.com smack of desperation. JM(uninformed)O, of course.

I never use Expedia or Orbitz for AA bookings so the direct effect on me will be zero.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by controller1
You can still do this through AAVacations.com. Many times the price for the airfare and hotel is only slightly more (and sometimes less) than the airfare alone.
Yes, but that's without taking the (potential) coupons into account.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:05 am

This is interesting news. The Orbitz thing I don't care about...tried using them once and they couldn't confirm the ticket I wanted. However, Expedia I use all the time.
Nobody has shot themselves in the foot here though. This is just round one, good on AA for wanting to change the way they do business.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
I think this graphs are sobering. Expedia's reach is 2.5 times AA.com's

Source: http://www.google.com/trends?q=aa.co...ate=all&sort=0
Actually, this graph shows Expedia losing ground in terms of search volume vs. aa. Note also that the first graph is for SEARCHES - people going to Google.com and searching for Expedia vs. searching for aa.com, etc. Not really good data to base conclusions on. The Alexa data is only marginally better... as they still can't determine actual traffic, only patterns based on searches, cookies, etc.

With the investment in its web site, AA is banking on being the next one stop shop for most people.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
On the trips I am looking to book, eg, an ORD-DEL in March, AA is at the right end of the page anyway. While UA CO, LH, KLM, etc are in $900-$1000 range, AA is $1330+.

So, in the end, Expedia may be helping AA by hiding their fares from the general public.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:41 pm

erican Airlines Tickets No Longer Featured On Expedia

Another one? here is the email i just got

Dear WrldTrvlnIndian,

As a valued customer, we want to inform you that ExpediaŽ has chosen to make American Airlines tickets more difficult to find on ExpediaŽ sites. We are committed to ensuring that you are always presented with the lowest available fares on American, so we regret that ExpediaŽ has chosen not to feature our fares. You may still purchase American Airlines flights on AA.com, our newly re-designed website, as well as many other online travel sites. For more information, please click here.

To thank you for your continued business, we are pleased to offer you an extra 15% off* when you book your next flight on AA.com before December 31, 2010. Simply visit www.aa.com, and use the promotion code below for your next flight.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Yep, here's the existing thread discussing it..

On the other hand, this does introduce the 15% one-time use coupon through the end of this year. Fine print says for travel between 12/30/10 and 3/9/11

*Terms and Conditions for Promotion Code:
Embargo Dates: 02/17/11 - 02/20/11, 02/24/11 - 02/27/11. When used according to its terms, the promotion code entitles the user to a 15% discount on a published round-trip or one-way fare from any of the fifty United States to any American Airlines destination, excluding codeshare flights, when purchased on AA.com between 12/24/10 and 12/31/10, for travel between 12/30/10 and 03/09/11. The discount cannot be used for travel on the embargo dates detailed above. The promotion code requires instant purchase and may not be applied to previous reservations or reservations placed on hold. The discount will not be applied to any government or airport imposed taxes, fees or charges. Only one promotion code may be used per reservation, for up to six people in the reservation. Round-trip travel is defined as travel from your city to the destination, and from the same destination back to the city where you originated travel with no deviations. For full terms and conditions about AA.com promotion codes, visit www.aa.com/promotioncode. Offer valid only for recipients of this email.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
Another one? here is the email i just got

Dear WrldTrvlnIndian,

As a valued customer, we want to inform you that ExpediaŽ has chosen to make American Airlines tickets more difficult to find on ExpediaŽ sites. We are committed to ensuring that you are always presented with the lowest available fares on American, so we regret that ExpediaŽ has chosen not to feature our fares. You may still purchase American Airlines flights on AA.com, our newly re-designed website, as well as many other online travel sites. For more information, please click here.

To thank you for your continued business, we are pleased to offer you an extra 15% off* when you book your next flight on AA.com before December 31, 2010. Simply visit www.aa.com, and use the promotion code below for your next flight.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.....I think AA knows they are in trouble now losing two major third party booking sites. This won't impact elites loyalty to AA but only will impact leisure travelers and Orbitz for Business customers who now cannot book AA flights. AA has a heck of a lot more to lose than Expedia and Orbitz here
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Some folks have reported receiving 15-20% off promo codes from AA.com. Not me. I wonder if it's targeted to folks who booked on Orbitz/Expedia.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: NWA Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond AA ExpPl
Just received a 15% off coupon
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
maybe the emails are currently in process. fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.