Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
this seems risky, but i applaud AA for making this move with orbitz and not backing down from expedia. i hope other airlines follow suit.

i know that many hotels hate working with expedia because they are pressured into paying them more and more every year as reservations volume increases. i assume it is the same with the airlines. AA is saying "enough" and i hope it works out for them.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA HH
Just received a 15% promotion code.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by demkr
Some folks have reported receiving 15-20% off promo codes from AA.com.
Those may be people who have booked AA flights through Orbitz and Expedia in the past? I could certainly use such a coupon good for March travel and would love to hear from AA or some recipient who does not plan to use his.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Some folks have reported receiving 15-20% off promo codes from AA.com. Not me. I wonder if it's targeted to folks who booked on Orbitz/Expedia.
I received a targeted 20% e-mail, with a pin code, from AA. It is good for most any AA-metal flight booked by Dec 31 and flown by March 6 (two of the February weekends are blacked out, though.

The e-mail says it's because I recently used Orbitz to purchase an AA flight (I did), and now they want me to use AA.com for future purchases of American Airlines flights.

Too bad I don't have or need status on AA. 20% off would have been nice on the LAX-DFW-MKE-DFW-LAX same-day mileage run that's available for just over $200 ai and with double miles on the LAX-DFW leg.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just as they know why we flow, they know where we buy. It's easy enough to send an email to every AAdvantage member who has used an AA ticket purchased on Expedia or Orbitz in the past xx months.

The notion of web visits or searches as a proxy for puchases is sorely deficient. AA doesn't need a proxy - it has data by purchase point, traveler, city of origin, fare...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I received a targeted 20% e-mail, with a pin code, from AA. It is good for most any AA-metal flight booked by Dec 31 and flown by March 6 (two of the February weekends are blacked out, though.

The e-mail says it's because I recently used Orbitz to purchase an AA flight (I did), and now they want me to use AA.com for future purchases of American Airlines flights.

Too bad I don't have or need status on AA. 20% off would have been nice on the LAX-DFW-MKE-DFW-LAX same-day mileage run that's available for just over $200 ai and with double miles on the LAX-DFW leg.
Well, if you need it taken off your hands, my PM is always open. Haha! Good to know though that they are reaching out to folks who have booked with these resources.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I don't recall using Orbitz or Expedia since I book 95% of my flights on AA.com, but AA send me a 15% off code too.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Me and my wife both got 15% coupon, while my son have nothing...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
UA/CO is pulling the plug on Travelport in 2012.

WSJ
That's for internal operations, not for listing of flights for sale to the public.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by krazieman
I don't recall using Orbitz or Expedia since I book 95% of my flights on AA.com, but AA send me a 15% off code too.
Me too. I wonder how they determine who gets these. My wife travels just as much as I do and is also EXP, but she never got the email. Is this because I purchase most of the tickets and am logged in as myself?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I have used both orbitz and expedia in the past 12 months and have received neither discount. Would be nice for taking that option away from me.

But IIRC the OTAs did not offer anything to me last century for taking away eaasysabre. Oh wait they offered the ease of searching on their sites. Now everyone considers what they have to be the apex for what could be.

Not for me. What takes place for anyone who wants to find what they really want is multiple searchs at multiple places when it use to be possible to do it all at eaasysabre. YMMV
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Why go through all this complication of hiding AA? Why doesn't Expedia just drop AA then? If they want to protest it, go all the way!
AA thinks it doesn't need Expedia, and Expedia thinks it doesn't need AA. (Or at least, both of them think the other party has more to lose by severing the relationship.)

This may be more than a negotiating stance, it may also be a market analysis opportunity. How may people actually click through to see AA rates on Expedia? Will AA notice a drop in bookings in general, or specifically through Expedia? I use tools like Expedia and Orbitz to search, and then I buy on AA.com. AA itself may not realize how many trips to AA.com are sparked by seeing a low rate on an outside website - if they see a significant drop in website traffic, that would be interesting. I actually think this is an incredible business case study in the making.

No one knows how to conduct themselves like adults anymore it seems.
Playing hardball doesn't seem childish to me. The best stance at the negotiating table is being able to walk away at any time.

Originally Posted by Blumie
Don't you think AA knows the precise sources of its bookings today?
Actual purchased tickets, yes.
Click-through referrals, yes.
Do I go to AA.com after I visit Expedia and see a price I like? AA probably has very soft data on this.

Originally Posted by masonp123
Can a corporation act arrogant? Or callous? Can a business be mean or cruel? Can AA or other companies be happy or sad? Moral or immoral? Do companies exist to make their shareholders happy?

Most importantly, since when have airlines existed to make their shareholders wealthier?
Yes, yes, yes, no, yes, yes.
Since they became publicly held companies.
Thanks for the laugh!!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by justforfun
CMB is a special exception. Other sites like Orbitz don't allow ex-CMB tickets either. In general, you can use aa.com to book tickets that originate in non-AA cities outside of the US as long as you choose "All Carriers."

With that said, aa.com is very limited in booking mixed airline itineraries. I'm not happy about all these changes.
Orbitz does allow ex-CMB tickets.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
Orbitz does allow ex-CMB tickets.
Thanks for the update. For years they never did.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:11 pm

I just got 15% off code from AA also, just in time for my next trip in Jan.
It's all thanks to the expedia.ca booking I made with the $300 off coupon to LAS last month.
This is awesome since I have use expedia only for browsing for many years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.