Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
naps8906, if all you are doing is comparing prices, why not go to Kayak. There you will continue to find AA flights and fares, and JetBlue as well (which you won't find on Expedia or Orbitz).
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by naps8906
When they lowered Deep discount rate to earn only 50% of the mile, I stopped looking.
When I looked at moving to AA in January, 2002, I thought that, too, as I came from UA where there was no such thing as points. I actually though I needed to fly 200,000 miles a year to be EXP. I learned with some research on this forum and the AA website how wrong I was. I see you had quite the same perception which other posters have pointed out is not correct.

There was a short period that Delta offered 50% miles on discounted fares, but they faced a rebellion by their flyers and backed down.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by kappa
naps8906, if all you are doing is comparing prices, why not go to Kayak. There you will continue to find AA flights and fares, and JetBlue as well (which you won't find on Expedia or Orbitz).
Excellent point. Why would one even use Expedia or Obtiz to compare fares when there are better alternatives?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I already know their fares are more costly for my 2 prime flights, bwi-lax, bwi-las, but i bit the bullet in past for status, but I will not anymore.
You don't see any value in holding elite status with a single airline? Even at the midtier level on AA, with 100% bonus miles, there's some added value there that might cause me to spend a few dollars more for AA and redeem those miles for a free trip. If you do three round trips BWI-LAX with midtier elite status you have a free domestic ticket. Do four of those and you have a free Europe or South America ticket off peak, or a free ticket to Hawaii.

How much less are you paying on your prime routes with other carriers? If it's something like $10-20 is it really a value with the loss of AA benefits?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:26 pm

the coupon code

they sent me an email regarding this, and a promo code:
LPQL6LR3MH3T

*Terms and Conditions for Promotion Code:
Embargo Dates: 02/17/11 - 02/20/11, 02/24/11 - 02/27/11. When used according to its terms, the promotion code entitles the user to a 15% discount on a published round-trip or one-way fare from any of the fifty United States to any American Airlines destination, excluding codeshare flights, when purchased on AA.com between 12/24/10 and 12/31/10, for travel between 12/30/10 and 03/09/11. The discount cannot be used for travel on the embargo dates detailed above. The promotion code requires instant purchase and may not be applied to previous reservations or reservations placed on hold. The discount will not be applied to any government or airport imposed taxes, fees or charges. Only one promotion code may be used per reservation, for up to six people in the reservation. Round-trip travel is defined as travel from your city to the destination, and from the same destination back to the city where you originated travel with no deviations. For full terms and conditions about AA.com promotion codes, visit www.aa.com/promotioncode. Offer valid only for recipients of this email.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Juanefny
FORT WORTH, Texas, Dec. 29, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines today thanked customers for their continued loyalty in the wake of a commercial dispute with two online travel agencies, Expedia and Orbitz, that is preventing American Airlines fares from being featured on those sites.
From here:
Within a few hours of AA’s statement, BTC poured a healthy dose of cynicism over the airline’s boasts, claiming that customers that had used Orbitz and Expedia for previous fares were emailed with special discounted tickets.

Orbitz customers were offered a 20% discount, Expedia’s got 15%.

The BTC says:

“In such a price-sensitive environment for consumers, discounts of this magnitude no doubt increased AA’s bookings likely masking the true negative impact of its actions and business predicament.

“Indeed, these discounts represent the price AA now has to pay to maintain market share.
And the mudslinging continues...
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by miamigrad
The expedia.co.uk site appears to be functioning the same as the US site...
The AA flights are listed at the far right of the matrix. You must click on the "Show more airlines" at the bottom of the matrix. AA appears all the way at the end, without the price. The user has to click on the "see flights" link to get more information.
Thanks, but this works for flights only, not for the flight/hotel combo which was the reason I looked at Expedia.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:18 am

Look, I understand what y'all are saying, I dont really use expedia/orbitz as much as itasoftware, but was making argument for the general market. Myself will not move the market, so let's take out of equation what I DO.

Believe it or not, bwi-las is $30-$50 or more. less than 3 wks, it's as much as $100. If your flying 10-20 times, it adds up. bwi-lax is like you said, $20-$30. Hey, money is money.

I've been recently screwed over by AA (or expedia or both) so really pissed off at this crappy airline. I need the points (not EQM this time), and spat recently booked my flight the ORD-NRT leg on JAL, even though it's codeshare with AA. I believe this is because of the recent spat., since my accounting booked me using expedia (like I said, general market).
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
....I dont really use expedia/orbitz as much as itasoftware, but was making argument for the general market. Myself will not move the market, so let's take out of equation what I DO.

I've been recently screwed over by AA (or expedia or both) so really pissed off at this crappy airline. I need the points (not EQM this time)....
You now say your negative comments about the AA actions were only on behalf of the "general market" (whatever that means) and you use ITA software.

■ Why would you want or need points [whose only value is to gain or maintain status] on AA, an airline you describe as "crappy"; and,
■ why would you make so many posts on behalf of Expedia,

when either one or both "screwed [you] over"?

Your inconsistencies are glaring!
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Expedia suspends American Airlines flights

The spat intensifies...

Source: http://www.tnooz.com/2011/01/01/news...rlines-flights

Push came to shove and Expedia says it suspended American Airlines flights on Expedia.com today [1 January] after the two sides failed to reach a new agreement.

The prior contract expired Dec. 31.

The American Airlines blackout impacts all Expedia Inc. leisure websites globally, including all of the Expedia-branded sites and Hotwire, but does not impact Expedia Inc.’s corporate travel agency, Egencia, which still features American Airlines flights for business travelers.
Expedia pinned the failed talks on American Airlines’ direct-connect strategy.

Expedia stated: “We have been unable to reach an agreement with American Airlines due to American Airlines’ new commercial strategy that we believe is anti-consumer and anti-choice. American Airlines is attempting to introduce a new direct connect model that will result in higher costs and reduced transparency for consumers, making it difficult to compare American Airlines’ ticket prices and options with offerings by other airlines. American Airlines’ direct connect model is of questionable, if any, benefit to travelers, would be costly to build and maintain and would compromise travel agents’ ability to provide travelers with the best selection.”
(more on the article linked above)
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Confirmed: AA now suspended from Expedia. Sighs
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by kappa
Both Expedia and Orbitz sell JetBlue tickets.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by demkr
Confirmed: AA now suspended from Expedia. Sighs
This certainly can't be doing AA any good.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I don't think that will be doing any good for expedia or orbiz either. Simply use i.e. travelocity to getting a better picture when compare price. Price Match anyway.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
I don't think that will be doing any good for expedia or orbiz either. Simply use i.e. travelocity to getting a better picture when compare price. Price Match anyway.
Probably less damage for Orbitz or Expedia if you think that a good chunk of the people who use those agencies to purchase are looking for best price, schedule or a package and are not carrier loyal. AA is losing that business at least via Orbitz and Expedia. I guess they will try to make it up via other channels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.