Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
So do you see some immorality here?

I'm certainly not saying that companies are not moral actors. But I am saying that I don't see any of the business decisions involved in this dispute to be of any moral significance.
I agree with you (i.e. I don't see any immorality).

As you mention, the original point indicated that "business" is abstract, detached from people, and not subject to morality, and that's what I reacted to. I see now that I was a bit OT, and apologize for it.

BTW, I do think that AA is being quite arrogant and callous, and totally support Expedia's reaction (their contract is expiring too, Orbitz just did sooner than theirs) given the circumstances.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by tgriff4boy
American claims the move to screw Orbitz removes the middleman but the fact is that this is just another way this airline is scrambling to get every dime it can. The real problem at AA is that even if they were packing the planes with $100 bills, they couldn't make money because their senior management team is clueless and lacks leadership.

Go Expedia!!!!!
The same leadership that avoided bankruptcy, you mean? Those clueless, inept managers who managed a company so well it didn't require a cort-mandated bailout or government assistance?

Uh-huh. Go Expedia my ......
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mreed911
The same leadership that avoided bankruptcy, you mean? Those clueless, inept managers who managed a company so well it didn't require a cort-mandated bailout or government assistance?

Uh-huh. Go Expedia my ......
At this point in time those managers have put AA in the position of being on the bottom rung of the legacy airlines.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That argument would be pursuasive if a large fraction of AA's Expedia-sourced booking were such multi-carrier (and non oneworld, non-partner) bookings. AA has the data.
Expedia's behavior seems to be a bit short sighted. They are depriving their customer's of a valid comparison of major carriers. Flying AA is the BEST option in many cases, but Expedia doesn't want to give their customers the best options for travel
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
Expedia's behavior seems to be a bit short sighted. They are depriving their customer's of a valid comparison of major carriers. Flying AA is the BEST option in many cases, but Expedia doesn't want to give their customers the best options for travel
So it is. But Expedia has decided not to be bullied by AA. Have you heard of UA/CO DL US? They are also important airlines and often they have the BEST option - overall much more so than AA has.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by virmaior
yes.... another nail in the citi rewards program...
YES, this is my biggest/only concern. for people who are STUCK using expedia to book with points or with corporate travel systems that use expedia, it will be harder to book AA fares...

People still use expedia? I thought kayak would have saturated the market by now... there's no reason not to use kayak... it takes you to the lowest fare... minus WN...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by hillrider

BTW, I do think that AA is being quite arrogant and callous, and totally support Expedia's reaction (their contract is expiring too, Orbitz just did sooner than theirs) given the circumstances.
Can a corporation act arrogant? Or callous? Can a business be mean or cruel? Can AA or other companies be happy or sad? Moral or immoral? Do companies exist to make their shareholders happy?

Most importantly, since when have airlines existed to make their shareholders wealthier?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Originally Posted by bbmatt
YES, this is my biggest/only concern. for people who are STUCK using expedia to book with points or with corporate travel systems that use expedia, it will be harder to book AA fares...

People still use expedia? I thought kayak would have saturated the market by now... there's no reason not to use kayak... it takes you to the lowest fare... minus WN...
Kayak does take you to the lowest fare, but then it shuttles you to Expedia or Orbitz in order to book that fare. For now, no AA bookings through either unless you click directly on them.

JB
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
So it is. But Expedia has decided not to be bullied by AA. Have you heard of UA/CO DL US? They are also important airlines and often they have the BEST option - overall much more so than AA has.
I never claimed AA always or usually was the best option for people, only that it often is, and some areas where it is the only major carrier.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bbmatt
Originally Posted by jbart74
Kayak does take you to the lowest fare, but then it shuttles you to Expedia or Orbitz in order to book that fare. For now, no AA bookings through either unless you click directly on them.

JB
Sometimes yes, but very often no. That is, Kayak very often takes you to airline websites or other alternatives to Expedia or Orbitz.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jbart74

JB
it usually shows you all the available websites that you can book that fare. and the main carrier website (in this case aa.com) is always the first one on list if the price is the same... it will also list expedia, orbitz, vayama and all the rest of the online travel websites as well...

unless you are referring to the first search page where there are ads in "pop-ups" to orbitz/expedia, etc. once you enter a flight search. however, you can disable those
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
UA/CO is pulling the plug on Travelport in 2012.

WSJ
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by masonp123
Most importantly, since when have airlines existed to make their shareholders wealthier?
LOL!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by johndeere19
As a frequent user of both Orbitz and expedia, I'm disappointed to see this happen. The biggest hit to me personally is going to be the inability to book flight/hotel packages at significantly reduced prices (esp after a coupon is applied) and use AA as the carrier.
An excellent point, since that's the main time I book via Expedia as well. But I just did a test search, and vacation packages are treated like air-only bookings. That is, AA won't appear in the matrix, but you can scroll thru the flight listings and still see AA flights listed (with no price); once you select it, the price is shown.

So, yes, the well-educated and determined consumer can still get AA flights with the package savings.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think this graphs are sobering. Expedia's reach is 2.5 times AA.com's

Source: http://www.google.com/trends?q=aa.co...ate=all&sort=0

Source: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/aa.com#

Also, according to this, Expedia is over 2 times more popular than Orbitz, and AA is now either absent or "de-preferenced" from Agency sites that account for 20.73% of US traffic.

Ouch. They better quickly increase existing fees and introduce new ones to make up for the revenue hit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.