Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA "de-preferenced" by Expedia - "suspension" now lifted April 4, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by hillrider
Isn't business made up of people? Or is it something where no humans are involved? WE (as a society) are pretty much ALL business.
So do you see some immorality here?

I'm certainly not saying that companies are not moral actors. But I am saying that I don't see any of the business decisions involved in this dispute to be of any moral significance.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
American can't make money!

American claims the move to screw Orbitz removes the middleman but the fact is that this is just another way this airline is scrambling to get every dime it can. The real problem at AA is that even if they were packing the planes with $100 bills, they couldn't make money because their senior management team is clueless and lacks leadership.

Go Expedia!!!!!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
It is such a shame because it wasn't that long ago that AA was the big boy in the US skies.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Funny that Expedia is siding with a stiff competitor on this issue... although I guess it's just amassing ammo for their upcoming negotiations with AA.
Expedia wants to stop this AA move from snowballing and hitting it too; and Expedia has extra cause for motivation as Expedia's contract with AA is going to come to an end and will soon enough require re-negotiation and subsequent memorialization of a new contract in order to keep the relationship going without interruption into the time period beyond when the current contract expires.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Ooh, I love a good arms race!

But in this case, it's not Mutually Assured Destruction -- AA needs the travel web sites more than the travel web sites need AA.

It's a beautiful thing to see someone standing up against AA's massive AArogance on this issue.

Customers will (understandably) interpret the Orbitz affair as yet another example of AA putting a nickel-and-dime mentality ahead of doing what's right for the customer.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by justageek
Ooh, I love a good arms race!

But in this case, it's not Mutually Assured Destruction -- AA needs the travel web sites more than the travel web sites need AA.

It's a beautiful thing to see someone standing up against AA's massive AArogance on this issue.

Customers will (understandably) interpret the Orbitz affair as yet another example of AA putting a nickel-and-dime mentality ahead of doing what's right for the customer.
I hope you are correct.

Is it something like 5% of AA's domestic revenue comes via Orbitz? How much more of AA's domestic revenue comes via Expedia than from Orbitz?

And what proportion of Orbitz's revenue comes from AA-using customers? And what proportion of Expedia's revenue comes from the same kind of customers? Orbitz and Expedia can substitute for AA quickly enough, while AA really cannot substitute for Orbitz and Expedia traffic quite as quickly.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I hope you are correct.

Is it something like 5% of AA's domestic revenue comes via Orbitz? How much more of AA's domestic revenue comes via Expedia than from Orbitz?

And what proportion of Orbitz's revenue comes from AA-using customers? And what proportion of Expedia's revenue comes from the same kind of customers?
Good questions. On the surface it would seem that AA will hurt more than Orbitz or Expedia.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by vgacolor
- Most leisure travelers do not know about the hubs. I am willing to bet that half of the people in Miami and Dallas do not know that American is by far the dominant airline there.
People in DFW (that would be both Dallas where WN is based and Fort Worth where AA is based) most certainly know that AA is the dominant carrier at the big airport. News stories about AA make the local news all the time, and the carrier is major employer in the area. There's also that little place in Victory Park called the American Airlines Center.

Originally Posted by vgacolor
When was the last time that you saw an AA, Delta, US or UA/CO TV commercial?
I see AA (and WN) TV commercials all the time. I never see one for the others.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
People in DFW (that would be both Dallas where WN is based and Fort Worth where AA is based) most certainly know that AA is the dominant carrier at the big airport. News stories about AA make the local news all the time, and the carrier is major employer in the area. There's also that little place in Victory Park called the American Airlines Center.

I see AA (and WN) TV commercials all the time. I never see one for the others.
We in ORD see UA commercials and an occasional WN ad (MDW).
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:09 pm
Suspended

AA.com homepage has now revised the banner to say that "Expedia and Orbitz no longer feature American Airlines' fares". How many more companies will AA mention there? First, it was just Orbitz. Now it's Expedia also listed there alongside Orbitz.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I'm officially dumbfounded on how this will end up to be a net positive business decision on AA's part.

There's even a typo on the page title when clicking that page, it was so rushed through. Get your act together AA

Last edited by demkr; Dec 23, 2010 at 9:20 pm
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
This is the final nail in the AA coffin as far as I am concerned. I used to fly strictly AA (for about 15 years) in and out of BDL. About six months ago, AA pulled all direct flights to/from RDU which is my most frequent destination. Now I can't easily compare flights on Orbitz or Expedia?

And, as a result of their pulling out of the BDL market I've learned that UA, DL, and US all have better planes and more comfortable seats, especially on the RJ's. (and DL has introduced nonstops to/from RDU!)

I'm done with AA.... Good riddance!

JB
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by demkr
Official Reaction from AA via Facebook (no press release yet):

We are disappointed that Expedia.com made American Airlines flights and fares more difficult to find. This discriminatory action is unwarranted. You can visit AA.com, KAYAK and Priceline for low AA fares.
Do you remember how AA flights diappeared from Kayak?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Hey al,

No I was unfamiliar with that - but I guess it's been settled?
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHL
I'm still trying to find the so called moral misconduct in AA's decision to reduce costs and bring more value to the shareholders. How am I, as a consumer, morally offended because I have to buy my AA tickets on any other number of available channels? They still have to compete with numerous other competitors, so it's not like they can price gouge me.
That is a different position than what you quoted, which said, paraphrasing, that business is not people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.