Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedited screening with TSA Pre✓™ on Air Canada flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You always need to reprint at the kiosk or agent to get the actual Precheck code on your boarding pass - no idea why.
Some US Airlines (Happened to me on DL) are requiring reprinting at the airport too (or via their mobile app). This is new as far as I know.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I'm thinking I won't use Pre anymore and just stay in Frequent Flyer lanes.

Last time in Pre at PHX they told me to keep everything on as usual (and there are no trays to put anything in) including my hiking boots which have lots of metal. Of course I set off the alarm bells and they required me to remove them and go through the scanner machine. I had lots of time so had them do a manual check, having a good conversation with the TSA officer who was efficient, competent and a good conversationalist.^

I don't get the point of pre-check operating this way. I'd rather just remove everything and do the same as everyone else so will opt for the shorter FF lane and remove my shoes (if they don't force me into pre-check!).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber

Last time in Pre at PHX they told me to keep everything on as usual (and there are no trays to put anything in) including my hiking boots which have lots of metal. Of course I set off the alarm bells and they required me to remove them and go through the scanner machine. I had lots of time so had them do a manual check, having a good conversation with the TSA officer who was efficient, competent and a good conversationalist.^

I don't get the point of pre-check operating this way. I'd rather just remove everything and do the same as everyone else so will opt for the shorter FF lane and remove my shoes (if they don't force me into pre-check!).
I know my belt will make the alarm go so I take it out even when they say it's not needed.

So far the couple.of places where I have used Pre have worked OK. MCO, long line otherwise. BOS, to go to the (former US Airways) lounge.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Stranger
I know my belt will make the alarm go so I take it out even when they say it's not needed.

So far the couple.of places where I have used Pre have worked OK. MCO, long line otherwise. BOS, to go to the (former US Airways) lounge.
Why not change your belt? I mean so with utmost respect, but you guys fly a lot. I challenge security agents who say I need to take my belt and employee badge off, I simply go....I won't set it off.

It saves time not having to take off belt/shoes, and it makes the people behind you in line (e.g. me) shake my head at you less
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Why not change your belt? I mean so with utmost respect, but you guys fly a lot. I challenge security agents who say I need to take my belt and employee badge off, I simply go....I won't set it off.
I bet I don't go through security anywhere near as often as you do. Only 38 segments last year.

This said, taking off my belt is rather quick. Putting it back is slower, but that has no effect on the rest of the line.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I bought a belt with a plastic buckle before EYWv1. One of the best investments of my life. $5 has saved me at least 30 minutes over the years
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Forgive me if I missed this upthread, but I have a few questions.

1) Flew out of SEA with my NEXUS #. Was not offered TSA Pre. Security said it's not guaranteed, but it increases the probability of getting it.

2) If I was in Y, am I eligible to go to the "Premium" security line?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Forgive me if I missed this upthread, but I have a few questions.

1) Flew out of SEA with my NEXUS #. Was not offered TSA Pre. Security said it's not guaranteed, but it increases the probability of getting it.

2) If I was in Y, am I eligible to go to the "Premium" security line?

Thanks!!
Was your Nexus number in the reservation as the Known Traveler Number? If not, then no precheck - you can't just show your Nexus card at the checkpoint and receive precheck.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:31 am
Suspended

Was your Nexus number in the reservation as the Known Traveler Number? If not, then no precheck - you can't just show your Nexus card at the checkpoint and receive precheck.
Yes it was
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes it was
That's odd - a valid KTN usually results in 100% Pre
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:48 am

In my experience, it doesn't (same for my wife). About 90%. No idea why that is.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:04 am
Suspended

Consistently inconsistent...as usual.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it was
Did you reprint your BP at the airport?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Did you reprint your BP at the airport?
Yes, an agent printed it for me
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's never guaranteed.

My understanding is that every passenger is assigned a trustworthiness rating based on various factors, and if you're above a certain rating, you're given Pre✓.

A NEXUS/GE membership significantly increases your trustworthiness rating, making it much more likely you'll get it.

The one time I have not received Pre✓ since getting my NEXUS card was on a last-minute, full-fare, one-way ticket (IRROPS resulted in me being booked on another airline). My KTN was absolutely in the correct place on the reservation (I made the agent double check when my BP didn't say Pre✓).

Also, I believe there's a random component.

So no, it's not guaranteed, just very likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.