Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
Flew the new UA seats last month: yes the seats are wider - that's because the armrests are 2" wide. Sat next to a control freak who wanted those 2" and then some. No IFE (seatbacks are too thin), no plug-in for USB, power, or listening to ATC, skinny backs means plastic means Hard!
I had the unfortunate experience of a 250mph headwind 6hr transcon on a UA B738 a couple days ago. What a piece of garbage. No IFE, No ch9, no power

I'm disappointed AC selected the MAX but understand it's a business decision. The Sky interior and strong IFE will compensate for the reduced shoulder room

Originally Posted by briantoronto
AA did a split order—they are big enough to make that work.
Strong rumors had AA going all-Airbus until a last-minute too-good-to-refuse offer from Boeing. Sound familiar?
I get the feeling MAX is inferior to NEO by a wide margin. Superior produts don't need deep last minute price slash and/or taking on unwanted metal to sell
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by YYZMIAZRH
As much as I love WS staff, service, timeliness, etc... their 737s are not comfy at all.
Agreed. The most uncomfortable seats on any aircraft I have flown. Except the Dash 8. The pitch and the zero padding make WS excruciating for me (6" 1" )

Hopefully AC orders padding in the seats.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC*E, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold
A320 series Neo would have been my preferred choice.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: FT
Ha. Some who said airbus was a slam dunk have to eat crow. I personally see little difference between them. Less creeking in the 737s.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:01 pm

And the pilot and FO cannot be both moving the joystick without knowing who is controlling the plane. And the tail won't break off when the rudder is moved suddenly.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:03 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Reads up-thread. And here I thought airliners.net was bad. *shakes head*
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I think it's a good decision. With the new 777 & 787, AC will become a majority Boeing fleet allowing for streamlined maintenance and I would expect easier integration of crews. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's easier to train up in the Boeing family once a pilot is used to the Boeing controls. I would expect that this will reduce the cost of training etc.
It is also my understanding that Boeing purchases more parts and services from Canada than does the EADS group who try to keep purchases in the EU. That means the potential for more spinoffs in Canada. I admit to being biased against Airbus as I think Boeing is one of the better multinational companies and has a history of reliability and quality. I loved the B767 and love the B777 too.
I'm a picky flier and the Westjet configs suit me fine. I usually use it on the YVR-YYZ/YUL flights. However, what I fear is that AC is going to go the sardine packing way and stuff as many pax onto the plane as it can legally get away with.

In any case, this will make it easier for WestJet to combine fleets when it eventually takes over AC.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GlennH
A320 series Neo would have been my preferred choice.
Mine too.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Garbageman
Wow, I was sure it was going to be Airbus!
One of the good things about the Harper regime is they don't take bribes to buy aircraft. So by decade's end AC will be an all-Boeing airline, save for the E190 replacement.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:52 pm

E90 is one of my favourite aircraft to fly..haven't cared too much for the Boeings although they do tend to have much more headroom that Airbii. Ah well, nonse of this affects us until at least 4 years
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Shareholder
One of the good things about the Harper regime is they don't take bribes to buy aircraft. So by decade's end AC will be an all-Boeing airline, save for the E190 replacement.
True, but not at all relevant since it appears the Harper regime had nothing to do with this purchase (I don't know that financing details have been released at this point).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:36 pm

Any chance the pilots could kill this, like they did to the 777 order initially?

IMHO, this is a very bad move for AC on so many levels. And definitely from a customer service point of view. Not only the interior dimensions, but containerizing the baggage meant that even during rainstorms, suitcases wouldn't generally get wet because they'd be unloaded from the containers indoors. If there was a few dollars difference in the price of a flight, I'd gladly take AC to fly on the A320-series or the A330. But now, forget it, may as well burn my Aeroplan card as I am terribly disappointed.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
Any chance the pilots could kill this, like they did to the 777 order initially?
I'd say there is a chance of some disruption, but I doubt AC would threaten to cancel the 737s and lose the slots like they did the 777s. That mistake cost AC refurbished 767 interiors (update to 777 interiors on 763s was part of original contract) on Boeing's dime.

Pilot pay is negotiated largely on number of seats... AC will want pilots to work for A320 wages, when the average number of seats will likely increase due to the heavy weighting of the A321-sized 739 vs the 738. And I bet the pilots are annoyed with the contract they were forced onto with the A319s going Rouge for much less than they were being flown before.

Dangerous negotiating with a group who has a bone to pick.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
I suspect not. IIRC when AC originally ordered the 777 they placed an order for the 787 at the same time. I thought that the original deal was killed because of the 787. I thought it had something to do with the "weight" of the aircraft.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember something about pilots getting paid more for "heavier" aircraft. Because of the light weight composite material in the 787, pilots flying these aircraft would get paid less even though they were going to have longer range and more capacity than the 767. I thought the pilots and AC eventually agreed on what the pay scale should be for the 787 and that cleared the way for the purchase.

737's should fall into the traditional pay scale tables so I don't think the pilots will be able to object (plus it isn't as if 737's haven't been in the fleet before, via CP).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Originally Posted by Garbageman
True, but not at all relevant since it appears the Harper regime had nothing to do with this purchase (I don't know that financing details have been released at this point).
Actually, I think that was exactly Shareholder's point! I would add, maybe one of the ONLY good things...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.