Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: imverge
Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) collected on the following airlines:

Air Canada (AC)
Lufthansa (LH)
All Nippon Airways (NH)
Asiana (OZ)
Thai (TG)
Austrian Airlines (OS)
LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
TAP Portugal (TP)
Adria Airways (JP)

Aeroplan fuel surcharges (YQ) NOT charged on these airlines:

Aegean Airlines (A3)
Air China (CA)
Air India (AI)
Air New Zealand (NZ)
Avianca/TACA (AV)
Brussels (SN)
Copa (CM)
Croatia (OU)
EgyptAir (MS)
Ethiopian (ET)
Eva Air (BR)
SAS (SK)
Shenzhen (ZH)
Singapore (SQ)
South African Airways (SA)
Swiss (LX)
Turkish (TK)
United (UA)

*Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

Aeroplan's last official statement on fuel surcharges including an important statement that all fuel surcharges are requested by AC, and not by AE or the operating carriers: All fuel surcharge amounts are applied by Aeroplan on behalf of the ticketing carrier and are passed through directly to the ticketing carrier.

Should the status of any airline on the list please post in the thread or update this wiki. Members must be signed in to edit wiki, which can be minimized or maximized by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post.
Print Wikipost

carriers with little or no fuel surcharges for award travel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yvrgary
OS, fixed.
We are booked from Toronto to Florence via Vienna on OS next July. Two Business seats with charges of $1,033.66 each.

In July, 2012 (booked in Aug. of 2011) I paid $125.00. In July, 2013 (booked in Aug. of 2012) I paid $525.00. Now OS charges the same as AC. I lucked out in 2012 by booking the previous Aug.

Austrian from Toronto now uses Tyrolean as the carrier (at least it did in 2013). In 2012 the plane was Austrian and it was nicer. Our connection from Vienna to Florence will be on a REALLY small plane - I guess the good news is that the runway in Florence is short.

In 2014 we were unable to get tickets via OS so we flew AC to Rome - and then had to make our way to Florence and back. Tuscany is always our destination.

Yes, taxes would have been a lot less on LOT - and I mean a lot less - but our preference is not to fly LOT - not everyone feels this way, but we do. And the return layover would have been a lot longer.

If we had not, or truthfully if I had not been able to get Business all of the way to Florence we would have purchased sale tickets in Economy - I would never have used points and paid the AE taxes. This is how my husband ended up in Y on sale tickets the past 2 years. But then he sleeps.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Murphy123
We are booked from Toronto to Florence via Vienna on OS next July. Two Business seats with charges of $1,033.66 each.

In July, 2012 (booked in Aug. of 2011) I paid $125.00. In July, 2013 (booked in Aug. of 2012) I paid $525.00. Now OS charges the same as AC. I lucked out in 2012 by booking the previous Aug.

Austrian from Toronto now uses Tyrolean as the carrier (at least it did in 2013). In 2012 the plane was Austrian and it was nicer. Our connection from Vienna to Florence will be on a REALLY small plane - I guess the good news is that the runway in Florence is short.

In 2014 we were unable to get tickets via OS so we flew AC to Rome - and then had to make our way to Florence and back. Tuscany is always our destination.

Yes, taxes would have been a lot less on LOT - and I mean a lot less - but our preference is not to fly LOT - not everyone feels this way, but we do. And the return layover would have been a lot longer.

If we had not, or truthfully if I had not been able to get Business all of the way to Florence we would have purchased sale tickets in Economy - I would never have used points and paid the AE taxes. This is how my husband ended up in Y on sale tickets the past 2 years. But then he sleeps.
Why do you not go with LX or TK?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Murphy123

FYI - the aircraft did not change when operations were taken over by Tyrolean.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
Might be time to remove US Airways from the master list.

SG
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Snow Goose
Might be time ...
Note that you, or any member who can see the [Edit] button in the lower right corner of the Wikipost, can make this change.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Note that you, or any member who can see the [Edit] button in the lower right corner of the Wikipost, can make this change.
Done
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Added AI to the list of no YQ partners.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:34 pm

FTers,

On the WIKI of this thread, it states " *Keep in mind AC charges YQ for the entire trip sometimes, so if you do YYZ-PVG-MEL on AC/CA or YYZ-NRT-AKL on AC/NZ, even though the last two segments are not supposed to be charged YQ - AC will charge YQ based on distance of YYZ-MEL/AKL.

First question would be, how is this justified?

My second question would be, if you went YVR - HKG (STOP) HKG - PER (TURN AROUND) PER - HKG (STOP) HKG - YVR and the only legs that YQ could be charged on were the YVR - HKG legs, would you stilll be charged for the entire distance to PER being that they were not continuations since there was a stop over? Could that be calculated differenly than going YVR - PER (turn around)?

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by averflavour
First question would be, how is this justified?

My second question would be, if you went YVR - HKG (STOP) HKG - PER (TURN AROUND) PER - HKG (STOP) HKG - YVR and the only legs that YQ could be charged on were the YVR - HKG legs, would you stilll be charged for the entire distance to PER being that they were not continuations since there was a stop over? Could that be calculated differenly than going YVR - PER (turn around)?

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Justified? AC is running a racketeering operation here using Aeroplan to collect money for them based on random amounts.

Trying it out in multicity, technically only YVR-HKG should be subject to YQ (about $200 - govt regulated - but the system comes back with CAD680 in YQ - which is coach YVR-Australia YQ

YVR-HKG (AC) stopover
HKG-SIN-PER (UA/SQ)
PER-SIN-HKG-YVR (SQ/AC)

Nice scam eh?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Justified? AC is running a racketeering operation here using Aeroplan to collect money for them based on random amounts.

Trying it out in multicity, technically only YVR-HKG should be subject to YQ (about $200 - govt regulated - but the system comes back with CAD680 in YQ - which is coach YVR-Australia YQ

YVR-HKG (AC) stopover
HKG-SIN-PER (UA/SQ)
PER-SIN-HKG-YVR (SQ/AC)

Nice scam eh?
This is the same problem I'm having. If I call the call center, and tell them the only legs which should have YQ, can they calculate it manually or is what the computer giving what the call agent give me as well?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by averflavour
This is the same problem I'm having. If I call the call center, and tell them the only legs which should have YQ, can they calculate it manually or is what the computer giving what the call agent give me as well?
No. The only solution is not to fly AC/NH on the first/last leg.
If you want to save money it will have to be BR/CA/UA with a connection.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:08 pm

YVR-HKG (AC) stopover
HKG-SIN-PER (UA/SQ)
PER-SIN-HKG-YVR (SQ/AC)

Nice scam eh?
If I type in such a hypothetical itinerary into ITA Matrix - the YQ on such a revenue ticket is indeed $680. I realize that there are segments that don't have YQ on there, but my experience is that YQ is not a segment-by-segment basis and more how the fare is constructed (this works in your favour sometimes, e.g. flying LH from YYZ-FRA-SIN, where the YQ if done segment by segment is $750+ but about $400 or so when priced together.)

A stop in HKG doesn't seem to lower YQ on AP or revenue tickets. It does though for tickets that O/D in HKG.

What is bull is when you price out the exact same itinerary in ITA and the YQ is magically 40% higher. Or the marked-up Nav Can fee which I don't see ever charged on revenue tickets either.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tng11
I realize that there are segments that don't have YQ on there, but my experience is that YQ is not a segment-by-segment basis and more how the fare is constructed (this works in your favour sometimes, e.g. flying LH from YYZ-FRA-SIN, where the YQ if done segment by segment is $750+ but about $400 or so when priced together.)
And therein lies a scam on top of a scam by Air Canada.

This is also where the whole argument of YQ going to the operating carrier/or its demanded by the operating airline falls apart, and further proves that all the money is going directly into Air Canada's pockets.

Yes, its nice when you can outwit them on their own scam in those rare situations
Old Jan 18, 2015, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And therein lies a scam on top of a scam by Air Canada.

This is also where the whole argument of YQ going to the operating carrier/or its demanded by the operating airline falls apart, and further proves that all the money is going directly into Air Canada's pockets.

Yes, its nice when you can outwit them on their own scam in those rare situations
The one thing I don't understand is if it's demanded and pocketed by the ticketing carrier (which is what I believe through trusted sources off of FT), why don't they charge YQ on everything?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AC UA TK FI DL
This needs to be a sticky, because there is a new question every second day on this topic!!

Can someone write up a process that can be followed, make it a wiki+sticky, so questions about scamcharges (how do I go to Europe/Asia without paying $1200 in fees) don't pop up daily?

* List of airlines without scamcharges (listed already)
* How to search using UA website or ANA website
* How to route via certain cities (as it seems like those are the only ones with availaibility)
* How to call Aeroplan and spoon feed and pay the fee

Last edited by iamaho; Jan 23, 2015 at 10:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.