Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:02 am

Just an update:

A lot of business class and econ class BOS-DUB, JFK-DUB, and vice versa just got released yesterday. Good luck calling into BA!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:50 am

Wooo! HUCA worked like a champ.

Noticed inventory open last night on my return, however for the day prior than I had originally scheduled/would like to come back. Booked, but of course this morning the seats open up for my original flight! Several HUCA and finally found a sympathetic supervisor that was willing to make the change to the next day without charging another set of change fees since it wasn't ticketed yet.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by danielv22
Just an update:

A lot of business class and econ class BOS-DUB, JFK-DUB, and vice versa just got released yesterday. Good luck calling into BA!
What about SNN - BOS? That won't come up on UA searches even though BOS-DUB does. I don't have expertflyer.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Tracker09
What about SNN - BOS? That won't come up on UA searches even though BOS-DUB does. I don't have expertflyer.
I dont have expertflyer either so not sure. You may be able to check on Qantas. Otherwise I'd just call BA and ask and try to do it this morning as the phone wait times can get long by the afternoon.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:44 am

I checked a few random weeks this summer on ExperFlyer and very little to/from SNN. Hardly anything on BOS-SNN and just a few seats in economy here and there (only 1-2) JFK-SNN.

On a different note does anyone know why a U class business award shows on BA as "Business, Confirmed" but on checkmytrip as "Economy Restricted"?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by crimson12
On a different note does anyone know why a U class business award shows on BA as "Business, Confirmed" but on checkmytrip as "Economy Restricted"?
Its just a mix up of the two systems. I was booked on UX in P class a few weeks back and it showed up as Business flatbed on another system Anyone who knows UX will get the joke.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
FYI, I just booked 2 Business class tickets and tax was 228.30 for taxes. They waived the $25 service charge for phone booking per passenger. I thought the taxes were much lower? Still a great deal!

Thanks for the heads up on availability!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Yeah I booked DUB-BOS-DUB over the October Bank Holiday weekend. 50,000 Avios and €119.00 Euro. I forgot to ask for the waiver of the phone booking fee, but I'll wear the €15.00. Quite looking forward to my trip!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Booked four(4) BOS-DUB-BOS r/t in biz for August 2015 travel.
50k Avios each person.

$114 taxes/fees per person
YMMV

And 61 minutes on the phone with BA.
Pathetic.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:17 pm

I had previously booked 2+2 on two flights, same day, BOS-SNN (back when you couldn't find more than 2J per flight). At the time, late last summer, I was charged ~$100-150 in taxes per ticket. Maybe this is the "new normal" for EI? I remember the blogs trumpeting that they charged <$50 in taxes but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

When this new availability opened up I switched around the flights so everyone was on the same flight. This strangely resulted in a ~$8 refund per person. Not sure why. Maybe their YQ went down or something?

Unrelated: I've since closed the credit card that was charged for taxes/fees. They said they can't credit a different card so they'll credit the one I used, and Chase will have to send me a check (?). Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by crimson12
I had previously booked 2+2 on two flights, same day, BOS-SNN (back when you couldn't find more than 2J per flight). At the time, late last summer, I was charged ~$100-150 in taxes per ticket. Maybe this is the "new normal" for EI? I remember the blogs trumpeting that they charged <$50 in taxes but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

When this new availability opened up I switched around the flights so everyone was on the same flight. This strangely resulted in a ~$8 refund per person. Not sure why. Maybe their YQ went down or something?

Unrelated: I've since closed the credit card that was charged for taxes/fees. They said they can't credit a different card so they'll credit the one I used, and Chase will have to send me a check (?). Anyone have any experience with this?
I did the exact same thing as you except we were 2 + 1 & Infant. The adult ticket taxes went down $8 and they sent it back to a closed credit card account.. BA said there was nothing they could do. I called the bank and they told me to call BA. Lets see how this goes.

Interestingly the infant taxes went up $30! I could not use the $8 credit to off set the $30. I was also charged the $55 change fee on the Adult ticket only.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Hmm.. just booked two (2) BOS-DUB one-ways in J for 07-02-2015. It was 25,000 Avios points/miles per person. CSA said I was lucky since they just released a whole bunch of J class this way, and that the phone lines were packed with BA Avios redemption callers... Nervous since I am awaiting points transfers to get my return DUB-BOS flight, and since apparently some folks are getting their BA account audited (thus increasing the number of irate callers to BA call centers), they'll be swamped for the foreseeable future... :P

Btw, $85+ taxes/fees ai

Only about 30 minutes chatting with the nice BA CSA.

-AD
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by rcurry01
I did the exact same thing as you except we were 2 + 1 & Infant. The adult ticket taxes went down $8 and they sent it back to a closed credit card account.. BA said there was nothing they could do. I called the bank and they told me to call BA. Lets see how this goes.

Interestingly the infant taxes went up $30! I could not use the $8 credit to off set the $30. I was also charged the $55 change fee on the Adult ticket only.
Actually I'm in a similar situation. It was 2 + (2+infant). Annoyingly, I was charged the $55 change fee for all 5 people, including infant. I think what fees you get charged with BA is completely YMMV.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Many thanks for the heads up. Called BA in UK - quite shocked, only waited 3 minutes.
Very helpful rep got me DUB-JFK-DUB-MAN for November in Business - no seats were showing on either United or Qantas website - so definitely worth asking.

GBP 97 in taxes - exactly as per the IATA Matrix breakdown.

While I needed to spend an extra GBP 20 + 4500 avios for DUB-MAN, as it happens, I know I am going to have 3 pieces of baggage with me (business stuff). Even though the DUB-MAN is a one class flight, as part of the same PNR as the JFK-DUB flight, you get the Business baggage allocation.

In the past I have booked DUB-MAN as a seperate paid flight - never had an issue checking bag straight through from JFK without having to pay extra for baggage on DUB-MAN. However with 3 pieces, I would rather play safe, so burned a few extra avios.

EDIT: Called EI to confirm seat assignment - each way in seat 3K - I love the way these have been nicknamed "Captain Kirk" seats".

As the clock counts down to April 28th - just to remind everyone - DUB-JFK-DUB goes up from 80,000 Avios to 120,000 Avios. So worth calling BA - even if you dont see seats on United or Qantas - you might get lucky.

Last edited by forextrader; Apr 2, 2015 at 10:14 am
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by airbornedaddy
Hmm.. just booked two (2) BOS-DUB one-ways in J for 07-02-2015. It was 25,000 Avios points/miles per person. CSA said I was lucky since they just released a whole bunch of J class this way, and that the phone lines were packed with BA Avios redemption callers... Nervous since I am awaiting points transfers to get my return DUB-BOS flight, and since apparently some folks are getting their BA account audited (thus increasing the number of irate callers to BA call centers), they'll be swamped for the foreseeable future... :P

Btw, $85+ taxes/fees ai

Only about 30 minutes chatting with the nice BA CSA.

-AD
ahh.. so it was you who snagged those seats!! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.