Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Gary_AA
Thanks for the update ExpertFlyer Voice! Great website too! It's been very helpful.

This Thursday I was finally able to nail down 2 biz seats over the phone, but not on the first try. Like before, we were able to go through the entire booking before getting to the reference number where the agent said the seats no longer existed. He in fact was the only rep I've talked to who said "Someone else bought the seats". The others just chalked it up to a computer glitch.

What is casting doubt on the glitch theory was that the tickets I was able to get were for the day AFTER the ones that were lost. So it doesn't seem like the agents were seeing phantom space and instead were indeed getting their seats pulled out from under them.

I've never encountered this before. I've been under the assumption that when an agent starts the transaction those tickets are held no matter what. It was odd and definitely frustrating over this past week but persistence paid off. Now I get to look forward to trying EI's new business class and their lounges both in Boston and Dublin (and also how smoothly my first time requesting checked-through baggage will go).
Glad persistence paid off! I had the same issue of getting all the way through to ticketing and then the BA agent saying EI had no availability! I find it hard to believe that someone else got the seats in all these instances! Now I'm not seeing availability in EI on the UA website for the dates I want so I'm reluctant to try again - although before UA had shown 4 seats available and BA said there were only 2 seats which ultimately EI said there none??? Very frustrating.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:37 am

Any advice on how to choose seats and see reservation on EI site when booking with Avios?
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by irishborn430
Any advice on how to choose seats and see reservation on EI site when booking with Avios?
Call, I was unable to pull mine up online even with the EI confirmation number.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nrdk
Call, I was unable to pull mine up online even with the EI confirmation number.
Thanks, nrdk.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 pm

I know it's been said many times that BA's inventory of EI award seats doesn't necessarily match United's availability but I'm assuming that if United shows no availability then BA won't have availability either. Does anyone know if this is true? Just trying to minimize calls to the BA desk.
Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Silver, Flybe, Hertz President's Circle
Hi Guys,

If there are no business class seats available, is it possible to book a flight with Avios and then use Aer Lingus' bid now pay later scheme to upgrade?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Nope--can't upgrade that way. I tried.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bkemp99
I know it's been said many times that BA's inventory of EI award seats doesn't necessarily match United's availability but I'm assuming that if United shows no availability then BA won't have availability either. Does anyone know if this is true? Just trying to minimize calls to the BA desk.
Thanks.
I'm interested in knowing the same. I'm trying to book for mid August 2016 but United shows no availability in Y, but oddly, has it in J (if only I wasn't bringing the girlfriend along with me). Has anyone had any luck of late booking for summer 2016, or am I too late?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by bkemp99
Glad persistence paid off! I had the same issue of getting all the way through to ticketing and then the BA agent saying EI had no availability! I find it hard to believe that someone else got the seats in all these instances! Now I'm not seeing availability in EI on the UA website for the dates I want so I'm reluctant to try again - although before UA had shown 4 seats available and BA said there were only 2 seats which ultimately EI said there none??? Very frustrating.
I had the same issue recently. Got right to the end of the booking process and then Aer Lingus refused to issue the ticket. The flight even showed in my BA "my bookings". BA called me back after trying to get Aer lingus to issue the ticket and they wouldn't honour the booking. After much messing around BA running into the same situation, BA found me 2 business seats to Boston on another date that ticked ok. BA were great but said they hate dealing with avios requests for Aer Lingus as it's never straight forwards, the systems are poorly integrated and they now don't always honour the bookings like we have found recently.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: EI Gold Circle, A3 *G, AB Gold & 3rd place East Leinster High Jump (1996)
I was pricing a DUB-BOS Y cabin return this morning and the BAEC agent quoted 25k Avios as expected, but the taxes seemed higher than anticipated at €120.70 p.p.

Anyone know if that figure is the standard charge on an economy return?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ZorbaTheGeek
I was pricing a DUB-BOS Y cabin return this morning and the BAEC agent quoted 25k Avios as expected, but the taxes seemed higher than anticipated at €120.70 p.p.

Anyone know if that figure is the standard charge on an economy return?
If the taxes seem high, it may be because the agent automatically added the phone-booking fee into the "taxes". Of course, this fee should be waived because it wasn't possible to book online.

I'm sure the agents who consolidate the costs feel that they're simplifying information for the customer, but I would prefer that they take the time to say "The flight will cost X Avios, Y taxes, and Z fees". If they do that, it would remind me to request that the phone-booking fee be waived.

I made two RT bookings for BOS-DUB last July, paying in USD. For the first booking (when I forgot to have the phone-fee waived), each RT ticket was 139USD in taxes/fees. For the second booking (when I remembered to request the waiver) each RT ticket was 114USD in taxes/fees.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
If the taxes seem high, it may be because the agent automatically added the phone-booking fee into the "taxes". Of course, this fee should be waived because it wasn't possible to book online.
I don't know if phone fee is part of the OPs issue, but that's not how the BA phone fee works, unless something has changed very recently.
You don't get charged the phone fee if the normal functionality of the BA website is broken resulting in you being unable to do something online that you should be able to do online. However, if you need to do something that is ONLY ever available via phone, you pay the fee.

Some agents do waive fees for offline only functionality, but that's at their discretion.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:30 am

Hello everyone

I try to book a flight LHR-DUB for 4500 point, but anyone know how much they charge for taxes on an award booking? i call British Airways two hour ago, and they say it will be $50 per person? is this seem right? i didn't book since it is so high for 90 min flight? thanks
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Hello everyone

I try to book a flight LHR-DUB for 4500 point, but anyone know how much they charge for taxes on an award booking? i call British Airways two hour ago, and they say it will be $50 per person? is this seem right? i didn't book since it is so high for 90 min flight? thanks
Go to the BA website and search for award space. Then click the little circle and it will show taxes and fees plus points needed.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Go to the BA website and search for award space. Then click the little circle and it will show taxes and fees plus points needed.
Thanks for the response but on the website it only show BA flight only, and for me i try to book Aer Lingus flight using my Avios point?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.