Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 7:55 am

First time attempting to use Avios... what a painful experience!

Going to monitor this thread for any seat availability. Nothing from JFK/EWR/PHL to DUB over the Jul 4 weekend (Have 200K to spend on first/business for 2).

I guess to use Avios you have to really plan a flight in advanced
Old May 18, 2015, 8:41 am

Any award flight during peak tourist season will be difficult to come by, especially only 7 weeks in advance.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by maxim730
First time attempting to use Avios... what a painful experience!

Going to monitor this thread for any seat availability. Nothing from JFK/EWR/PHL to DUB over the Jul 4 weekend (Have 200K to spend on first/business for 2).

I guess to use Avios you have to really plan a flight in advanced
Couple of pointers:
  • Aer Lingus does not operate first class, nor from EWR, nor from PHL.
  • The true, correct and current availability of Avios redemption seats on Aer Lingus can only be ascertained by telephoning BA Executive Club. It cannot be had online.
  • Award flights tend to be in short supply around major holidays, and tend to be snapped up much earlier than 7 weeks before flying
  • Consider EI102 the new daytime flight which may have better availability, but the plane is older.

I guess what I'm saying is if you need to be in Dublin on those dates, you need to get your credit card out.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:45 pm
soy

Programs: various
With all the deals at the moment, I could not justify paying 100k for a NYC-DUB award. Combine that with the availability issues, and I think Stife is right, get out the credit card
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:08 pm

What time does checkin open in BOS for the 6pm flight, 1st flight of the day.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The usual rule for any international flight anywhere in the world is 3 hours before the scheduled departure time.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:59 pm

Is this no longer searchable on United? I don't see any of these flights in the award results these days.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Tracker09
Is this no longer searchable on United? I don't see any of these flights in the award results these days.
The best way to establish availability is simply to phone BA.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Tracker09
Although some bloggers recommended checking UA's website for award availability, I never understood the concept. After IE left Oneworld (and now before they return), they have had a number of partners, but it's clear that IE did not make available to all partners the same award seats. In other words, simply because there was availability on UA, that did not mean that BA had the same access.

Since BA does not show IE availability on its website, stifle has pointed you in the right direction: call BA directly.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Although some bloggers recommended checking UA's website for award availability, I never understood the concept. After IE left Oneworld (and now before they return), they have had a number of partners, but it's clear that IE did not make available to all partners the same award seats. In other words, simply because there was availability on UA, that did not mean that BA had the same access.

Since BA does not show IE availability on its website, stifle has pointed you in the right direction: call BA directly.
KVS Tool, Qantas and United have always shown pretty much the same availability as far as I can tell, and I've never had BA then not see what was showing as available on KVS - albeit I've only ever booked 4 or 5 EI award trips.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by catharsis
KVS Tool, Qantas and United have always shown pretty much the same availability as far as I can tell, and I've never had BA then not see what was showing as available on KVS - albeit I've only ever booked 4 or 5 EI award trips.
I haven't looked recently but when I booked my last flight (just returned earlier this week) UA was showing 7+ seats in business (?!) but ExpertFlyer and BA were seeing only two. I found the actual EI seats that were bookable with Avios to match EF exactly and to vary wildly from what was shown on UA.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: 2015 kettle
In November I'm going ORD-DUB on EI. I booked my flight using 20,000 Avios. I would like to travel in Business, but there isn't any award availability. If it does open up, can I just pay the additional BA Avios required, or is there a change fee for this type of thing? Also, could I just use cash to buy up even though it's an award ticket using Avios?
Thanks. I'm Hoping to save my back some agony.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by mickeydfly13
In November I'm going ORD-DUB on EI. I booked my flight using 20,000 Avios. I would like to travel in Business, but there isn't any award availability. If it does open up, can I just pay the additional BA Avios required, or is there a change fee for this type of thing? Also, could I just use cash to buy up even though it's an award ticket using Avios?
Thanks. I'm Hoping to save my back some agony.
Yes, there is a change fee to change an award ticket if you booked in Y > J, did this for my honeymoon, and yes you'll have to pay the additional Avios as well.

No clue about the cash buy up.

Will say EI J was definitely a hit with the (now) wife, she has a lot of anxiety when it comes to flights, actually backed out of a NRT flight last year due to anxiety at the gate, however with J lie flat she didn't have near the anxiety, so would definitely recommend it if possible.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 3:41 pm

How are the 757s run by Air Contractors in Y? We're looking at a SNN-BOS flight.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:05 pm
soy

Programs: various
Apart from the fact that they are single aisle, the Y experience is little different to that on the EI A330

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.