Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:48 pm

I booked two tickets in Y yesterday for August 2015.

Not one ticket available in J unfortunately (according to BA phone operator). Still 25k for a transatlantic trip is not to be sniffed at.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:52 pm

my experience

I could find economy, but no business

Last edited by georgepds; Dec 30, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by georgepds
Whatever happened to the biz class *(U) tickets from boston to dublin. I had no problem booking these with Avios last October. This year there are no tickets at all (at least according to my perusal on expert flyer)

Anyone have a clue? Last year I looked in mid summer, is it just a quesition of release date?
Seats in J have been limited even GC Elite members have their redemptions looked at by revenue management who decide on a case by case basis who gets them. Apparently they do look at activity on the members account to see how valuable they are to EI.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 3:25 pm

clues?

That brings up a question.. If I search expert flyer on J class (Business) I see lots of availability. If I do the same search on U class ( Business award) I see nothing

Now I know the rule is to call BA if you want to book with avios because the BA award availability on EI suposedly shows more than one finds on expert flyer. Is the clue that there has to be a business seat (J) available before it is even worth the call?

Those business class seat to europe really call to me, and I want to master the rules
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I'm trying to find four seats in Y BOS-DUB for March/April. I found dates that would work for me showing lots of availability on both the UA and QF websites, called BA and was told that only 2 Y seats were available on those days... From reading this thread and some of the related ones, I know that this isn't uncommon. Given that there are some reports that people have found 4 seats available in Y in the past, do you all think that BA may suddenly "see" more seats on the flight, or are we close enough now that it is unlikely anything new will appear in their inventory? With other airlines I would just keep checking every few days, but the very long wait times to get through to BA are too painful to contemplate if the likelihood of success is low.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by whimsey21
I'm trying to find four seats in Y BOS-DUB for March/April. I found dates that would work for me showing lots of availability on both the UA and QF websites, called BA and was told that only 2 Y seats were available on those days... From reading this thread and some of the related ones, I know that this isn't uncommon. Given that there are some reports that people have found 4 seats available in Y in the past, do you all think that BA may suddenly "see" more seats on the flight, or are we close enough now that it is unlikely anything new will appear in their inventory? With other airlines I would just keep checking every few days, but the very long wait times to get through to BA are too painful to contemplate if the likelihood of success is low.
could you secure the 2 available and then see if 2 more open up after these have been taken, or book 2 more for the day before or after if available or book 2 BOS/SNN for same day and arrange to meet up in DUB/SNN
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Apparently the BA agent was seeing 0 or 1 seats for the days around the days I wish to travel (those days also showed little or no availability on UA and QF). I somehow hadn't realized there was a direct BOS-SNN flight when I called initially; I'm going to try to call back to see if that is available at all for the dates I want, or potentially do the 2 seats to DUB and 2 seats to SNN that you suggested.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
I've just booked BOS-DUB-BOS for three in July; there were only 2 seats in Y available for the flights I wanted, but the agent saw a single seat in the alternate EI flights in each direction so snapped that up as we can at least all be travelling on the same day (with 3-4 hours between us).

The BAEC agent mentioned something about typically only 2 x Y seats are visible on any EI flight right now. Not sure if that is true, but I can't see availability improving on what I'm sure is a very popular route these days.

I may try and check availability on UA/QF engines in the coming days/weeks and see if anything opens up, but not sure how likely this will be.

Managed to take advantage of a 1.5x multiplier on the Canadian RBC Avion card last week, so I'm hardly complaining at what is a great deal for summer flights.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: spg
I'm in the same boat - party of four trying to get to Ireland this summer. Same reply from BA, only 2 seats per flight if you can get them. My husband is not keen to separate us, which makes it nearly impossible to book the trip! Does anyone know if I could book using another points currency to get us on the same flight - ie United miles? I know I'd pay more but we'd be together.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by kelly622
I'm in the same boat - party of four trying to get to Ireland this summer. Same reply from BA, only 2 seats per flight if you can get them. My husband is not keen to separate us, which makes it nearly impossible to book the trip! Does anyone know if I could book using another points currency to get us on the same flight - ie United miles? I know I'd pay more but we'd be together.
Are you looking for Y or J? Also are you seeing availability on QF for the dates you are inquiring with BA?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: spg
Originally Posted by flyaxa
Are you looking for Y or J? Also are you seeing availability on QF for the dates you are inquiring with BA?
Looking for economy. I did see availability for 4 on UA, transferred the points to avios and then called to book only to find out there's really only 2 seats.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Biz availability on this route with avios went from excellent a year ago to almost non existant this year.

At least thats my experience trying to book in Autumn 2013(sucessful) to trying to book in Autumn 2014(impossible, even Y was scant)
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:36 pm

I've been watching for availability from BOS-DUB, JFK-DUB, ORD-DUB, JFK-SNN, and BOS-SNN (I'm not picky) in J in either August or September of 2015 for the past few weeks with no luck. I'm really hoping they open up availability soon, because I'd like to take advantage of the 40% MR transfer bonus.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Aer Lingus award availability to other programmes has always been sporadic. It appears this is continuing and it is favouring Gold Circle Club members.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
Aer Lingus award availability to other programmes has always been sporadic. It appears this is continuing and it is favouring Gold Circle Club members.
As a GC prestige I have experienced the same issues as the previous posters. I think the recent success of the TA routes has reduced availability across the board. Maybe it is different for the GC elites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.