Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DUB or DUB-BOS using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:58 am

Question for the experts:

I'm looking for one EI BOS-DUB non-stop rt J award (Avios) for early-Sept. 2015. QF only shows connections through LHR on BA, inflating the cost in both miles and money.

Am I tilting at windmills here, or should I give BA call center a try? Or wait-and-see if inventory opens up.

Last edited by pmblinn; Jan 7, 2015 at 11:03 am Reason: Clarifying
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Question for the experts:

I'm looking for one EI BOS-DUB non-stop rt J award (Avios) for early-Sept. 2015. QF only shows connections through LHR on BA, inflating the cost in both miles and money.

Am I tilting at windmills here, or should I give BA call center a try? Or wait-and-see if inventory opens up.
I'm not an expert, but I checked Expert Flyer for the month of September and I didn't see any Biz space either. EI needs to loosen the reigns some.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
I'm not an expert, but I checked Expert Flyer for the month of September and I didn't see any Biz space either. EI needs to loosen the reigns some.
Thanks. EF was my next stop (for intel prior to phoning BA).

If you find one, let me know before you book, so I can snag it ahead of you.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Thanks. EF was my next stop (for intel prior to phoning BA).

If you find one, let me know before you book, so I can snag it ahead of you.
Haha. I was just looking for you. Hope you get it!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
EI European flights not available on Avios.

Only other option is book EI DUB LHR online and check in in BOS can through check the bag and issue boarding cards
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Silver, Flybe, Hertz President's Circle
Hi All quick question that hopefully somebody can help me with.

Can I book flights using avios for other people, if I am not going to be travelling with them? I would like to book the DUB-BOS route for my parents as a present.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Originally Posted by mpd22
Hi All quick question that hopefully somebody can help me with.

Can I book flights using avios for other people, if I am not going to be travelling with them? I would like to book the DUB-BOS route for my parents as a present.

Thanks for your help.
Yep. Just did it yesterday for two daughters.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by LivelyFL
EI doesn't "need" to do anything. You might want it to loosen the reins, but that is completely different. It will release award availability on a case by case basis to GCC members.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kelly622
I'm in the same boat - party of four trying to get to Ireland this summer. Same reply from BA, only 2 seats per flight if you can get them. My husband is not keen to separate us, which makes it nearly impossible to book the trip! Does anyone know if I could book using another points currency to get us on the same flight - ie United miles? I know I'd pay more but we'd be together.
Could you use a cash currency?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Connecting beyond DUB?

Originally Posted by ROKNA
EI European flights not available on Avios.

Only other option is book EI DUB LHR online and check in in BOS can through check the bag and issue boarding cards
I'm a little late to this party...trying to get to CDG from BOS. Do I understand from the comment above that I can only use Avios to fly BOS-DUB and that I can't connect to Europe from there? (Obviously for more points...)
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mtimmer
I'm a little late to this party...trying to get to CDG from BOS. Do I understand from the comment above that I can only use Avios to fly BOS-DUB and that I can't connect to Europe from there? (Obviously for more points...)
Aer Lingus offer this for revenue fares, but not for BA redemption, only TATL is available on Avios.

Only option is to book a separate flight with EI to complete your journey, EI will through check your bags on back to back reservations. You can of course earn Avios on the paid leg.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, BA Silver, Flybe, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for your help flyaxa
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ROKNA
Aer Lingus offer this for revenue fares, but not for BA redemption, only TATL is available on Avios.
This is not entirely true. I have see flights from DUB to Europe available for avois redemption. They have always been at the J level. EI do not offer J service on these routes so you would be paying additional miles for the lounge access and the free bags.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
The UA site show BOS-DUB-CDG available with MP points in Y, albeit at the 30K United level. So I assumed I could use 20K Avios (which is what I think it works out to for that distance) until I saw this thread. Sounds like I need to call BA--I was just hoping to avoid that.

Hoping to avoid the rev ticket and have two separate tix in case I mis-connect.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:53 am

I recently booked 2 coach tickets from BOS to DUB. (Fee waived btw, 64$ in taxes/fees)

Have the BA record locator and also I asked for the Aer Lingus Record Locator.

I still though have no been given any BA confirmation email or ticketing email. Should I be calling Aer Lingus to get ticketed or wait for BA to come through?

The agent when I asked during booking was a little confusing.

Thanks,
-Bill

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.