Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by james dean
There won't be a lock-out and I doubt there will be a strike, it's amazing what can be accomplished once that 72 hour clock starts..
Doesn't the 72 hour clock become self-fulfilling as the airline begins to reposition flights and crews through proactive cancellations, and thus start the doomsday machine to produce a shutdown?
Old May 22, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by transportprof
Doesn't the 72 hour clock become self-fulfilling as the airline begins to reposition flights and crews through proactive cancellations, and thus start the doomsday machine to produce a shutdown?
That's a good question, yes it could but then if a deal is done during that 72 hours takes place then pulling all the airplanes and crews back to their respected bases is still a negative and a cost not to mention a Hugh disruption to the schedule. I guess if there is no hope of a deal at the 72 hour mark, yes the company could do an orderly shutdown, but then your basically saying there is going to be a strike...I guess you could still get a deal done, but your in shutdown mode so it's a disruption to one's that really count read: the paying pax. Might as well keep the airline functioning with the "faint hope clause" being possible during the 72 hours. No easy way solution for sure. The best solution: get a deal done!!!
Old May 22, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I expect the real timing of a strike or lockout will be linked to the status of negotiations. Both parties prefer to avoid any disruption, but if progress stalls who knows and none of us really know if they're currently making progress or not. The good money says that little leaking/news is probably positive.

it will be interesting to see how things progress into June. I suspect the main leverage of the union is the threat of a strike during June-August timeframe.
james dean likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Why would WS lock the pilots out? Unless they are doing rotating strikes or other actions that cause havoc I don’t see the benefit.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Why would WS lock the pilots out? Unless they are doing rotating strikes or other actions that cause havoc I don’t see the benefit.
I agree. The only way I see it is perhaps to bring this to a close before the busy summer months or if they are sure a negotiated settlement is not attainable without further action.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:23 pm

What are the options for arbitration (binding or otherwise)?

The idea of a strike/lockout must be scaring the bejesus out of WS management.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:14 pm

What does “lockout” mean in this context?
Old May 22, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YYCguy
What does “lockout” mean in this context?
A "lockout" is when the employee shuts-down operations by "locking out" the employees who are negotiating a contract.

A lockout is a very rare move, usually done by the employee when it wants to force the union to accept a contract and things having the members not being paying for a few days will force the issue. Not very common in Canada and very unlikely in this case.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Fiordland
A "lockout" is when the employee shuts-down operations by "locking out" the employees who are negotiating a contract.
Employer, not employee.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Employer, not employee.
Typo (meaning the exact opposite), thanks for catching that.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Flying Friday...fingers crossed I can get back home.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Appears talks are on-going.
Now if they breakdown most likely another 72 hour target date will be issued by ALPA, say in 3 days after both parties leave the bargaining room. The 3 days lets both sides rethink and regroup. If no one is interested in getting back to the table then the 72 hour clock starts. If during the 72 hours, no talks or no deal then it's a strike. Every time deadline can be extended if there is progress, but sooner or later frustration will take over with kicking the "deadline can" down the road & then the picket lines go up and the airline is grounded. Not a good thing!!
Old May 23, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by kalderlake
What are the options for arbitration (binding or otherwise)?

The idea of a strike/lockout must be scaring the bejesus out of WS management.
A lockout shouldn't scare management as it would be self induced.

As for arbitration. That won't happen until the two sides are close to an impasse.
Arbitration, is when a neutral third party helps build a bridge between the two sides.

Binding arbitration is when both sides present a contract and the arbitrator picks one.
If one side is to extreme, ie: the employer offering to little or the employee asking to much, that contract gets thrown out.
The arbitrator picks the more reasonable option.
The contract that ACPA is currently working under is the one proposed by AC.

Either way I suspect arbitration, if required, is months away.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by james dean
Appears talks are on-going.
Now if they breakdown most likely another 72 hour target date will be issued by ALPA, say in 3 days after both parties leave the bargaining room. The 3 days lets both sides rethink and regroup. If no one is interested in getting back to the table then the 72 hour clock starts. If during the 72 hours, no talks or no deal then it's a strike. Every time deadline can be extended if there is progress, but sooner or later frustration will take over with kicking the "deadline can" down the road & then the picket lines go up and the airline is grounded. Not a good thing!!
I wasn't aware that the union had already issued a 72-hour notice. Do you have a source for this?

Ron.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by tracon
Arbitration, is when a neutral third party helps build a bridge between the two sides.

Binding arbitration is when both sides present a contract and the arbitrator picks one.
If one side is to extreme, ie: the employer offering to little or the employee asking to much, that contract gets thrown out.
The arbitrator picks the more reasonable option.
Mediation is when a neutral third party helps build a bridge between the two sides.

One form of arbitration is as described above - the arbitrator picks one proposal or the other without alteration. The more common form of arbitration is that the arbitrator listens to arguments from both sides and formulates a recommendation based on what he\she feels is the best and fairest settlement, or in more practical terms, the settlement most likely to result in an agreement. Binding arbitration is when the two sides agree in advance to abide by the arbitrator's decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.