Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by newfbc
I wasn't aware that the union had already issued a 72-hour notice. Do you have a source for this?

Ron.
...I don't think I said they issued a 72 hour notice, I did say "if they issue a 72 hour (emphasis on IF)
Old May 23, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by james dean
...I don't think I said they issued a 72 hour notice, I did say "if they issue a 72 hour (emphasis on IF)
"Now if they breakdown most likely another 72 hour target date will be issued by ALPA"

is what you said. As I thought, no 72-hour notice has been issued. The union are in a legal position to strike and can issue a 72-hour notice at ANY time...

Ron.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by newfbc
"Now if they breakdown most likely another 72 hour target date will be issued by ALPA"

is what you said. As I thought, no 72-hour notice has been issued. The union are in a legal position to strike and can issue a 72-hour notice at ANY time...

Ron.
Ok, I think the premise of my post was "what if's" but in any event IF talks breakdown they may do a three day cooling off period, IF they don't return to the table THEN it's game on for the 72 hour strike notice.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by james dean
Ok, I think the premise of my post was "what if's" but in any event IF talks breakdown they may do a three day cooling off period, IF they don't return to the table THEN it's game on for the 72 hour strike notice.
I wouldn't be so sure of any "three day cooling off period" before delivering a formal 72-hour strike notice as to legally strike the union must have held a strike vote within 60 days so that clock starting ticking in late Apr. and the first month is almost up.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:40 pm

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...ts-strike.html

WestJet flight attendants face uncertain future if pilots strike
Old May 24, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...ts-strike.html

WestJet flight attendants face uncertain future if pilots strike
Hmmm. The piece is little more than a “hey everyone, you should join CUPE!” advertisement. Not much journalism going on here...
Old May 25, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Hmmm. The piece is little more than a “hey everyone, you should join CUPE!” advertisement. Not much journalism going on here...
It's from the Toronto Star. What else would you expect?
Old May 25, 2018, 4:03 pm

The thing is regardless of whether the FA's are union or not if the pilots shut down the airline, most likely all other employees except for the bare minimum are laid off until the strike is over...Union or not.
Read: get a deal!!
Old May 25, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, UA Platinum, AS MVP75K, Marriott Gold
Old May 25, 2018, 7:20 pm

Amen! Thanks for sharing.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
CBC News piece on the pilot settlement process agreement.
WestJet agrees to settlement process with pilots union | CBC News

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Calgary-based airline and the Air Line Pilots Association have agreed to a settlement process through the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. Both sides have agreed to mediation — and if required, final and binding arbitration.
​​​​​​​
After a tense week of negotiations, sources tell CBC News, WestJet agreed to let union-represented pilots fly all WestJet planes — including Swoop — but wages and working conditions are still being negotiated.
This last quote about ALPA representing all pilots including Swoop just cemented another 2 years of labour strife, IMHO. The FAs will be next to unionize, followed quickly by the CSRs and TACs, finally the mechanics will join the fun.

Im willing to take bets that Swoop will have similar restrictions to AC Rouge. B-scale wages but limits on number and type of tails. This will largely neuter the cost saving effects of implementing a separate airline. swoop will be the first ULFC - Ultra Low Fare Carrier. Costs differences will be negligible.
​​​​​​​
james dean likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Im willing to take bets that Swoop will have similar restrictions to AC Rouge. B-scale wages but limits on number and type of tails. This will largely neuter the cost saving effects of implementing a separate airline. swoop will be the first ULFC - Ultra Low Fare Carrier. Costs differences will be negligible.
I think the purpose of Swoop is to destroy the business cases for any new ULFC airline to raise the funds to become a competitive threat to WS. It does not need to be a big airline to accomplish that goal.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:30 pm

As I said the threat of lockout was real. In fact , the union caved when presented with that threat. They now have a few weeks with a mediator to resolve open issues. If those are not resolved it goes to arbitration and the chips will fall where they may.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
So how much are they going to be paying the Swoop pilots not to fly?
Old May 26, 2018, 7:20 pm

error

I have no idea...just hearing rumours and wishes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.