Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum

WestJet pilots vote overwhelmingly in favour of strike action

Negotiations continue as pilots try to secure first union contract with airline

Kyle Bakx · CBC News · Posted: May 10, 2018 2:04 PM ET Last Updated: an hour ago

The union representing WestJet pilots now has a strike mandate from its members. (Kyle Bakx/CBC)
107 commentsWestJet pilots could walk off the job as early as May 19 after voting 91 per cent in favour of striking.

The pilots and airline are still at the negotiating table, but the union now has a strike mandate after voting ended Thursday morning with 95 per cent of members casting a ballot.

The union said it still hopes to sign a contract before taking any job action, although it said large gaps exist in negotiating compensation, working conditions and job security. Negotiations resume next week in Halifax.

As a gesture of goodwill, the union said it has told the airline it will not strike during the busy May Long Weekend.
Full article here: WestJet pilots vote overwhelmingly in favour of strike action | CBC News

Bolding mine, in reference to the question above, I think everything is stable for the May long weekend per the quote from the pilots. However with 86% of all pilots voting to strike and the longstanding Management attitude against unions, I think we will have a strike before Trans Mountain Pipeline Deadline of May 31.
Old May 10, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
It's amazing what one toxic leader can do to a company in a short period of time.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Error 601
It's amazing what one toxic leader can do to a company in a short period of time.
Yes. Especially if the leader is a union leader.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Would you fly on an aircraft piloted by someone who is dumb enough to think that going on strike is a good idea?
My strong preference would be to NEVER do it but I am afraid it is too late now!
Old May 10, 2018, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Bolding mine, in reference to the question above, I think everything is stable for the May long weekend per the quote from the pilots. However with 86% of all pilots voting to strike and the longstanding Management attitude against unions, I think we will have a strike before Trans Mountain Pipeline Deadline of May 31.
Let's hope not as WS brand will take an immeasurable hit if there is a pilots strike. I have friends who've booked a 40th anniversary Alaska cruise and months ago booked WS flights YEG-YVR roundtrip and if their travel is affected they may forgive but are unlikely to forget and all the years of goodwill that's been built up with the airline brand will ebb away like snow in the warm Spring sunshine. Just MHO of course and it's okay if YYMV.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:46 pm

Yes. Especially if the leader is a union leader.
I despise unions but Saretsky was swaggering towards the abyss for years with either the approval or indifference of the board.
Old May 10, 2018, 11:40 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Something tells me the person conducting the "poll" was not an impartial collector of data.
you're right. the poll indicated 90 per cent but the actual ballot count was 91 per cent.
ws has been dysfunctional for years. like any fast growing, insular company that built its success over keeping things the same a'la southwest. name me one normal north american airline with a jet fleet that has non union pilots. i'm not saying this rhetorically, i'm genuinely trying to think of one other than air north. i thought allegiant but they're teamsters

amazing how many people think the sky is falling because pilots want a contract and protection from outsourcing domestic flying to slovakian pilots

Originally Posted by tcook052
Let's hope not as WS brand will take an immeasurable hit if there is a pilots strike. I have friends who've booked a 40th anniversary Alaska cruise and months ago booked WS flights YEG-YVR roundtrip and if their travel is affected they may forgive but are unlikely to forget and all the years of goodwill that's been built up with the airline brand will ebb away like snow in the warm Spring sunshine. Just MHO of course and it's okay if YYMV.
strikes happen, people get mad, they vow over twitter to never fly again (like united customers today over the removal of tomato juice) then 1 year later they see a flight to lax that's 15% cheaper than the 2nd cheapest and has the most superior schedule. ws will overcome, this is what happens within companies sometimes
Old May 11, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Would you fly on an aircraft piloted by someone who is dumb enough to think that going on strike is a good idea?
So we should avoid flying in any Air Canada plane flown by a pilot with 20 years of experience because that pilot went on strike in 1998?
Old May 11, 2018, 10:38 am

Obviously. Only fly with legacy CP crews or those hired after the last AC pilot strike
Old May 11, 2018, 1:23 pm

I've been that initially the pilots will refuse overtime.
That would probably only affect 5-10% of flights

We'll see how things unfold of course.

I wonder if there will be any solidarity from Encore pilots?
Old May 12, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I despise unions but Saretsky was swaggering towards the abyss for years with either the approval or indifference of the board.
I have never been a fan of unions but have worked in unionized environments (on the management side). You come to accept them as being part of the process. That said at the end of the day management ends up getting the union it deserves. The fact they even need to hold a strike vote is as much an indication of managements inability to respond to the needs of their staff as anything.
wrp96 and smallmj like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I have never been a fan of unions but have worked in unionized environments (on the management side). You come to accept them as being part of the process. That said at the end of the day management ends up getting the union it deserves. The fact they even need to hold a strike vote is as much an indication of managements inability to respond to the needs of their staff as anything.
I also worked in management for many years in an environment where a small contingent of a much larger employee group belonged to a large international union. My observation was that when it came to negotiating a contract there were three parties: the company, the union and the employees. The union and the employees were rarely aligned in their objectives. The company was in it for economy and flexibility. The employees were in it for fairness and reasonable compensation, which they saw all the other non-union employees getting. The union was in it to "win", usually with little regard to what the members wanted, and in so doing strove do turn it into an adversarial process, which invariably put their own members off side.

Eventually the union guys decertified, but it took many years because none of them had the courage to stand up to the union. What tipped the scale was when they finally realized that over a ten year period the non-union employees got a slightly higher aggregate wage increase. By turning it into an adversarial process the union caused the company to push back, and they ended up with less.
Old May 13, 2018, 12:46 am

I have been in some extremely ugly union situations, also in management - but without fail everywhere I have ever worked when there was a manager or non-union employee who was running their mouth in a way that was unhelpful to the purposes of tranquility and cooperation they were muzzled immediately. My old company even came down on a secretary for referring to picketers as .......s on Facebook.

Whereas Saretsky got up on stage and told people to ostracize and harass their fellow employees until they quit. The anti-union campaign that WestJet ran was of about the caliber you would expect from a fast food franchise owner.
Old May 13, 2018, 1:21 am

I have been in some extremely ugly union situations, also in management - but without fail everywhere I have ever worked when there was a manager or non-union employee who was running their mouth in a way that was unhelpful to the purposes of tranquility and cooperation they were muzzled immediately. My old company even came down on a secretary for referring to picketers as .......s on Facebook.

Whereas Saretsky got up on stage and told people to ostracize and harass their fellow employees until they quit. The anti-union campaign that WestJet ran was of about the caliber you would expect from a fast food franchise owner.
I was at 3 of the approximately 15 Ignite20 sessions (one in each of YYC, YYZ and YVR) that every employee was expected to pick one to attend. Gregg’s message was about pulling in the same direction, evolving culture and being willing to embrace change to meet the changing needs of our guests and the market conditions. It wasn’t an anti-union message, it was a message about needing to change and making it uncomfortable for those in the company who weren’t willing to change to stay in the company.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
It wasn’t an anti-union message, it was a message about needing to change and making it uncomfortable for those in the company who weren’t willing to change to stay in the company.
Well, context is everything, wouldn’t you say? Given the HR messes WS was dealing with at the time (harassment, big union drives, etc), that statement was grossly inappropriate, and only served to drive further wedges amongst employee groups. He eventually paid the price for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.