Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
A week away from a possible strike and its crickets from Westjet. People who have flights booked deserve better than this.
That's how negotiations work. Neither side is going to show their hand. Both sides will get as close to the deadline as possible to extract as much benefit for themselves as possible.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Yes and no...

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Were the tickets cheaper than you might expect? I'm interested to see if the threat of strike action is putting pressure on pricing.

....the YYZ-YWG were about the same but the YYZ-YVR was maybe 15% cheaper...but they did have one of their twice weekly sales on offer, so it could have been just that.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Fiordland
If the quotes are true and you have a CEO tells the assembled staff that they need to push the employees in Category 4 out that is simply bad form and poor judgment. You have management deal with employees in group 4 one-on-one.
Agreed. As I said, it takes finesse. If you handle it in a ham-fisted way it can blow up on you really quickly. It's not that hard to get those in Group 3 and even some in Group 2 to move into Group 4.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by tracon
That's how negotiations work. Neither side is going to show their hand. Both sides will get as close to the deadline as possible to extract as much benefit for themselves as possible.
Exactly right, and my guess is management will make a deal with ALPA at the 12th hour....
Old May 16, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by james dean
Exactly right, and my guess is management will make a deal with ALPA at the 12th hour....
It's a case of "who blinks first?" and with a strike mandate like that, it WILL be management.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The latest update posted at www.wjpilotfacts.com sure doesn’t look good. It’s obviously one-sided but if the facts are as presented it doesn’t sound like the union is negotiating in good faith.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I talked to someone fairly high up within WestJet on Tuesday and they didn't think a strike is likely because a strike won't derail the launch of Swoop.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by fly_yag
The latest update posted at www.wjpilotfacts.com sure doesn’t look good. It’s obviously one-sided but if the facts are as presented it doesn’t sound like the union is negotiating in good faith.
Perhaps someone with expertise in this area is reading and can comment. I find this kind of website to be interesting. It seems to undermine the ALPA and communicating directly with pilots which I would have thought could be seen as union busting.

hard to believe this type of activity is likely to settle things fast.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Communicating with unionized employees in Canada who are bargaining is pretty straight forward, just don't make any threats, be misleading, force anyone to listen or entertain hypothetical discussions.

Last edited by Error 601; May 17, 2018 at 3:49 am
Old May 17, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Perhaps someone with expertise in this area is reading and can comment. I find this kind of website to be interesting. It seems to undermine the ALPA and communicating directly with pilots which I would have thought could be seen as union busting.

hard to believe this type of activity is likely to settle things fast.
Not at all unusual, both side want to paint themselves as the "good guy & reasonable". There are always two sides to every labour dispute and each side will try to make the other side look selfish and demanding as well as have the other employees put peer pressure on the employee group that is trying to get a deal. As ugly as this may look now, it's amazing how fast the two sides can come together once the strike deadline approaches the zero hour.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
WestJet's labour dispute is about expanding union influence, not protecting existing jobs CBC News

WestJet's labour dispute is about expanding union influence, not protecting existing jobs
Good article — and pretty accurate, I think.

Contrary to popular belief, there are actually three different parties in a labour dispute.
- the employer
- the union
- the employees

Only two of those parties actually have a seat at the bargaining table.

It’s all about the union and the union’s income and power at this point. The personal outcome for all of the actual pilots likely won’t be any different than it otherwise would have been.

Realistically, once you strip away all of the rhetoric in the WestJet situation, there are zero pilots at risk of losing their jobs. The only risk is to the union — an “opportunity cost” to them that they won’t be able to increase their ranks and collect more dues.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ

Good article — and pretty accurate, I think.

Contrary to popular belief, there are actually three different parties in a labour dispute.
- the employer
- the union
- the employees

Only two of those parties actually have a seat at the bargaining table.

It’s all about the union and the union’s income and power at this point. The personal outcome for all of the actual pilots likely won’t be any different than it otherwise would have been.

Realistically, once you strip away all of the rhetoric in the WestJet situation, there are zero pilots at risk of losing their jobs. The only risk is to the union — an “opportunity cost” to them that they won’t be able to increase their ranks and collect more dues.
With respect to ALPA this is not the case. ALPA is run by pilots for pilots. The negotiating committee comprises of pilots, the associated committees are run by pilots. All positions are elected by pilots with terms subject to re-election. They ARE at the table. ALPA supports the pilot group through expertise of various means.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
And the postal union is run by mailmen, and the auto workers union is run by auto workers, and the nurses union is run by nurses, and so on and so on.

That absolutely does not mean that what’s in the union’s best interest is identical to what’s in the “real” employees’ best interest. The pro-union pilots/mailmen/autoworkers running the unions have a big interest in the union’s success (since the union is its own separate entity, with its own money and politics and hierarchy).

It’s all too often a game. Two seats at the table for three parties, with both the union and the employer claiming (and probably legitimately believing) that each has the employees’ best interests at heart. And both sides dig in their heels to fight for what’s “right” ... when the final settlement is probably no different than what it would have been without a union and without a strike.

WestJet customers lose.
WestJet loses.
WestJet pilots lose $ from their pockets in the form of union dues (w probably very little incremental benefit compared to what it’s cost them.)
Union and union reps are the only winners - power, influence, and a bank account full of their members’ money - in what’s otherwise an unwinnable game.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by james dean
With respect to ALPA this is not the case. ALPA is run by pilots for pilots. The negotiating committee comprises of pilots, the associated committees are run by pilots. All positions are elected by pilots with terms subject to re-election. They ARE at the table. ALPA supports the pilot group through expertise of various means.
No aviation experience, but I have been on the management side in these types of negotiations. The people across the table are regular every day employees who have day jobs and reflect the majority or are they? Usually they get into that position because they have a keen interest in the union and the outcome of the bargaining. Sometimes that is aligned with the majority and sometimes there are some weird conflicts of interest and special interests at play. I have had the case where they negotiate a deal and they committee can't sell it to the membership because it is to complicated.

The committee likely also has one or more advisers. Why do they need advisers? Because they are negotiating labor rules. First contract they are going to need to sort out progressive discipline, benefits, maternity leave, jury duty, and a long laundry list of stuff that needs to make its way into that contract.

A first contract is going to be slow.....
james dean likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
No aviation experience, but I have been on the management side in these types of negotiations. The people across the table are regular every day employees who have day jobs and reflect the majority or are they? Usually they get into that position because they have a keen interest in the union and the outcome of the bargaining. Sometimes that is aligned with the majority and sometimes there are some weird conflicts of interest and special interests at play. I have had the case where they negotiate a deal and they committee can't sell it to the membership because it is to complicated.

The committee likely also has one or more advisers. Why do they need advisers? Because they are negotiating labor rules. First contract they are going to need to sort out progressive discipline, benefits, maternity leave, jury duty, and a long laundry list of stuff that needs to make its way into that contract.

A first contract is going to be slow.....
That's a good analysis from what I know, especially with ALPA and in fact other pilots Associations. ACPA (AC) APA (AA) and even SouthWest of whom WS modelled itself after has a pilot association which is similar to ALPA. ALPA being the largest pilot association, is very much involved in airline and passenger safety, flight & duty times, training and standards etc and all are run by Pilots of their associated airline. Labour expertise is utilized especially in contract negotiations but the negotiating committee is comprised of appointed and elected pilots from their own airline. Usually the key pilot figures are excused from flying duties while they function in the ALPA leadership roles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.