Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paging Captain Norma Rae. Pilots might strike May 19.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Is the strike date set in stone...what I mean is if the voting is finalized before May 19 can they strike earlier?
Yes the strike date is set in stone and cannot occur earlier because as is noted in the linked article there's a mandated 21-day cooling off period from 27th Apr. so the earliest date a strike could happen is 19 May.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by tcook052
Yes the strike date is set in stone and cannot occur earlier because as is noted in the linked article there's a mandated 21-day cooling off period from 27th Apr. so the earliest date a strike could happen is 19 May.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but but they could delay strike action until after the 19th. Having the pilots be able to walk out at any moment would likely focus the attention of the employers bargaining team.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Please correct me if I'm wrong but but they could delay strike action until after the 19th. Having the pilots be able to walk out at any moment would likely focus the attention of the employers bargaining team.
There has to be a minimum 72 hours notice given for the strike to be legal. From the federal rules: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...argaining.html

Strike or lockout notice

A strike notice is an advanced written notice that must be given by the union to the employer indicating the date and time on which a strike will begin. A lockout notice is an advanced written notice that must be given by the employer to the union indicating the date and time on which a lockout will begin.

If no agreement is reached during the conciliation process, there is a 21-day waiting period (known as a cooling-off period) before the parties may acquire the legal right to strike or lockout. As per article 87.2 of the Canada Labour Code, advance notice of strike or lockout to the other party and the Minister of Labour is required to be served at least seventy-two hours in advance. Furthermore, to strike, the union must have sought and received a positive strike vote from its members within the previous 60 days.

Strike or lockout notice must be filed in full compliance as stipulated in section 7 of the Canada Industrial Relations Regulations.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by aerobod
to strike, the union must have sought and received a positive strike vote from its members within the previous 60 days.
Is that 60-days from when the ballots are counted and union executive ratify that there was a clear majority voting in favor of strike action? How long after the end of balloting would the union executive meet to ratify the vote? Just curious.

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Yes, provided they offer proper notice and were still within the 60-day window they could delay a strike until there was maximum effect such as over Canada Day and the start of the busy Summer travel season.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Is that 60-days from when the ballots are counted and union executive ratify that there was a clear majority voting in favor of strike action? How long after the end of balloting would the union executive meet to ratify the vote? Just curious.
I’m sure lawyers would need to sort that out, if it isn’t spelt out in the legislation.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Did the Trudeau government provide any signals with regards to back to work legislation when a Canadian Pacific strike appeared likely?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan

Quite a few of the pilots have gross incomes of over $300K per year with minimal overtime, some with the higher levels of overtime are in the high $300s. Typical net income for these pilots is over $200K per year in Alberta, if they take advantage of all the stock programs. Compensation will break down for those paying Alberta tax approximately like this:

27% base net salary
13% ESPP (tax free, available 1 year after contribution)
10% RRSP contribution
10% stock units and options (tax paid amount, vesting between 1 and 3 years after the annual award)
4% profit share and owners performance award
36% deductions (income tax, CPP, EI, LTD)
Do you really think if the pay was this rich for all but a few, the Pilots would be holding a strike vote?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:08 pm

Captains with 10 years of service are getting that level of compensation.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:22 pm

Captains with 10 years of service are getting that level of compensation.
i didn’t think WS had years of service pay for pilots? Step 10 CA would translate into about year 15-17, no?

And is it not the WS pilots’ campaign that this is not “just” about pay? I.E. Work rules, outsourcing jobs, etc..?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
There has to be a minimum 72 hours notice given for the strike to be legal. From the federal rules: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...argaining.html

Strike or lockout notice

A strike notice is an advanced written notice that must be given by the union to the employer indicating the date and time on which a strike will begin. A lockout notice is an advanced written notice that must be given by the employer to the union indicating the date and time on which a lockout will begin.

If no agreement is reached during the conciliation process, there is a 21-day waiting period (known as a cooling-off period) before the parties may acquire the legal right to strike or lockout. As per article 87.2 of the Canada Labour Code, advance notice of strike or lockout to the other party and the Minister of Labour is required to be served at least seventy-two hours in advance. Furthermore, to strike, the union must have sought and received a positive strike vote from its members within the previous 60 days.

Strike or lockout notice must be filed in full compliance as stipulated in section 7 of the Canada Industrial Relations Regulations.
How will this affect Encore flights, Their pilots are not happy campers either, and also represented by ALPA.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by yul36
How will this affect Encore flights, Their pilots are not happy campers either, and also represented by ALPA.
They are currently in their own process with its own timelines and negotiations.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by 4stroke

i didn’t think WS had years of service pay for pilots? Step 10 CA would translate into about year 15-17, no?

And is it not the WS pilots’ campaign that this is not “just” about pay? I.E. Work rules, outsourcing jobs, etc..?
For DEC in the past, step would equal YOS, but not if they had entered through the FO path. In years where the company stock has done well, WestJet pilots have been some of the best paid 737 operators in the industry. As there is no seniority, every pilot is treated equally when it comes to standby listings, vacation bidding, scheduling, etc. What it looks like the pilots want to do is put in a seniority based system and give up company performance based compensation for more base pay. From a compensation perspective, the total won’t likely be significantly more, just a different mix, work rules will change with it getting better for senior pilots likely at the expense of the juniors.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat

For DEC in the past, step would equal YOS, but not if they had entered through the FO path. In years where the company stock has done well, WestJet pilots have been some of the best paid 737 operators in the industry. As there is no seniority, every pilot is treated equally when it comes to standby listings, vacation bidding, scheduling, etc. What it looks like the pilots want to do is put in a seniority based system and give up company performance based compensation for more base pay. From a compensation perspective, the total won’t likely be significantly more, just a different mix, work rules will change with it getting better for senior pilots likely at the expense of the juniors.
So basically evolving away from an entrepreneurial, startup culture to a good old traditional "worker-employer" relationship. I think they are going to shift away from the entire "owners care" after all these changes it is not going to come across as not being authentic. I wonder what the root cause that is driving this desire.
tcook052 and james dean like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:19 pm

...give up company performance based compensation for more base pay. ...
Who can blame them.
I wouldn't want my pay to be based on the luck of external forces.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Who can blame them.
I wouldn't want my pay to be based on the luck of external forces.
Those prepared to accept some risk with a more entereneurial approach to corporate success will have higher net compensation for a given gross compensation, due to the fact that share gains will be taxed at half the rate as a capital gain, compared with other compensation which will be just straight income taxed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.