Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have seen some spectacular acts of freeloading in J on Air Canada and United.

Although I have been on a few flights where the flight attendants offered those seated in Plus all the remaining perishables at the end of the flight.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Recent data point in Plus. YWG-YEG 737-600 was offered basket of chips, chocolate bars, small cashews and tiny pkg of beef jerky. FA told me and lady next to me that we could only take one and they didn't have anymore in the back once the basket is empty. This is a 715 pm flight. C'mon, this is beyond ridiculous. It was only this flight, other ones were much better, no problem getting more than one item or FA coming around second time with fully replenished basket.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
When I did the survey I told WJ that they should just have a dollar limit on what a Plus passenger can order for food.
Say $25 or $30 off the menu at the menu prices.
That way the customer gets what they want without being able to hoard.
YYCguy likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
WS 700 YVR-YYZ April 29 in Plus. FA was unaware of what was on offer "because it keeps changing". The breakfast parfait is no longer part of the menu and as this was a 6:00 am departure, that would have been my first choice. Instead, I went for the continental breakfast, which was an odd mix of crisp-bread, cheese (pretty tasteless), sliced apple and a hard boiled egg (no salt or pepper). In 35 years of flying in all classes on countless airlines, I've never been offered a hard boiled egg on a plane.

Towards the end of the flight, wine was offered multiple times and while there was no basket as such I was asked multiple times if I'd like anything. I was even asked if I'd like a sandwich to take with me.

I got the impression that the FAs have lost track with the changes in catering so just go with whatever's there and roll with it.

It was very friendly service so the above are not so much moans as observations. Still, if anyone from WS is monitoring, please being back the parfait....you can keep the hard boiled eggs.
polyesther likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
In 35 years of flying in all classes on countless airlines, I've never been offered a hard boiled egg on a plane.

Still, much better than being offered a raw egg. All in all it's a lower fat way of getting protein so not a bad idea.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
...we could only take one and they didn't have anymore in the back once the basket is empty.
... It was only this flight, other ones were much better,
So to summarize she or he was fairly trying to make sure everyone could have at least something, did not personally stock the basket from the warehouse and thus wasn't resonisble, it was a short flight, and it was an exception not a rule because all the other flights were better. Still best to castigate them like you should be able to shop for your groceries for free due to this one event.

I just flew YYZ SJO and the Plus service was quite well done, with three options for food, no problems with drinks, and no concern over emptying the snack basket. That said the return is usually pre-stocked from the outbound due to a one hour turnaround in SJO, so we will see if they are adequately stocked for that. Last trip it was OK.

The best news is all that Chopped Leaf mush is gone and what they offered was decent quality and edible. Ws should go through the files for every paid Plus passenger for the history of "Mushgate" and send them $25 per flight in dollars that don't expire like their silly one day offers.
martiantoad likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Still, much better than being offered a raw egg. All in all it's a lower fat way of getting protein so not a bad idea.
What do they have for us passengers who don't like eggs
Old May 2, 2018, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Fiordland
The option of not eating the hard boiled egg.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Remarkably normal choices in Plus on YYZ-FLL today ... the chicken wrap, the chicken on a croissant, and something else which wasn't interesting enough to remember. No eggs, boiled or otherwise.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Ask the guy or gal sitting next to you if they want an egg. You could ask this about literally ever food offered by every airline. What about gluten? Nuts? Turkey?
They offer more than just one egg take it or leave it, but to hedge your bets maybe buy food in the terminal before you board.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:55 pm

Is the food offering time of day dependent, ie: hard boiled eggs in a continental breakfast for a morning flight perhaps vs a chicken wrap for a middday or evening flight?
Old May 2, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Is the food offering time of day dependent, ie: hard boiled eggs in a continental breakfast for a morning flight perhaps vs a chicken wrap for a middday or evening flight?
Look, someone has to do this so I'll volunteer. Which meal comes first? The chicken meal or the egg?
Arthurrs, YYCguy and Fiordland like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Yes. They don't offer breakfast at dinner time. I flew ex YYZ last Saturday at 8:55 and they offered turkey/brie wrap, chicken croissant and the "continental" breakfast (the FA used the "quotes") with an egg and a muffin and fruit at around 10-1030 a.m. For some reason there were no menus.

I suspect at lunch the offering would be the same minus the "continental" though. Ditto dinner. I'm leaving at 1 p.m. this Saturday where my suspicions will be confirmed I think.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I had the new breakfast wrap when I flew in Plus last week and it was pretty good although on the small side, it needs a side of fruit. I was traveling with my mother and she liked it too.

Although I really wish they would get rid of the gritty tortillas used for the wraps and just use a plain flour tortillas.

Trying to explain to my mother why I was taking pictures of the menu was an interesting conversation and I will post the current Plus menu for the MAX later.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
WS 1698 YVR-LAX 1615-1904 737-800

Snack basket items

Choice of a chicken Cesar wrap or turkey sandwich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.