Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hmm a little disappointed that I didn`t get to try out the chopped leaf as I love that stuff but the new roll out seems good. I knew the plus food badly needed an upgrade but I`m surprised how quickly they skipped over the chopped leaf.

That picture above me unfortunately doesn`t look appetizing at all
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SKYEG
That picture above me unfortunately doesn`t look appetizing at all
Wow. That’s an understatement! It looks horrible!! (Glad to hear that it doesn’t taste quite as bad as it looks, at least.)

The disappointing fallout from this whole “you have a choice of the chia pudding bowl or ... nothing” mess, it seems, is that we’re back to food that looks like it’s from the refrigerated shelf in a gas station convenience store. Back where they started.

It sounds like this may only be a temporary fix, at least. New menus, ovens, and some stronger brainpower in catering all coming very soon??
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I think the most important thing is to have a choice. Some folks want kale filled health food, others want something more traditional. I'd want something without mayo, but I know that I'm weird that way. It is hard to please everybody, especially with cold food.
FlyerJ and SKYEG like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Fisch
No, it is a new, strictly Plus offering:

0930-evening (not including redeyes) choice of:
- Chicken Caesar Wrap with tortilla chips and salsa
- Baja Bowl
- Bistro Box
This was what were offered on my 6PM YYZ-YVR flight.
I had the wrap and it was okay.
Snacks consisted of brownies, chips, chocolate, etc. in a basket were also offered several times throughout the flight along with drinks.
The aeroplane operating my flight was quite tired except for the toilet. WS must have refurbished the toilet. No power outlet and tiny PTV screen and most of the satellite TV channels did not work.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Wow. That’s an understatement! It looks horrible!! (Glad to hear that it doesn’t taste quite as bad as it looks, at least.)
I don't think your reaction would be as harsh had it been plated or served in anything other than cellophane wrap in a fiberboard dish.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 9:10 pm

Had the Baja bowl yesterday, it was pretty gross. The chicken was crumbly, the rice clumpy and the tomato sauce tasted raw. Wife had the wrap which didn't look much better. The new food is pretty disappointing. Appreciate the Scotch, pale ale, and Prosecco, though I wish they'd keep the Prosecco in stock.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Snacks consisted of brownies, chips, chocolate, etc. in a basket were also offered several times throughout the flight along with drinks.
The aeroplane operating my flight was quite tired except for the toilet. WS must have refurbished the toilet. No power outlet and tiny PTV screen and most of the satellite TV channels did not work.
I know that plane!
For some reason, WS likes to offer it on the longest flights, e.g. YYZ/SJO and YYZ/YVR.
After all for a 45 minute flight to Ottawa you better have wifi and all the bells and whistles so you do that by making sure people on 5+ hour flights get the old fogey aircraft. They don't need TV or power.
They should provide binoculars for row 1 if that smaller than iPhone size screen actually works, which so far this year has been never.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:28 pm

Nothing to over think in what aircraft are assigned to which route, it all comes down to capacity required on the route and aircraft availability to fly an appropriate set of routes. The 13 737-600s on average have the oldest interiors and not are converted yet, as there are some challenging certification issues that had to be worked on, they should be in 2018. The 8 737-700s (out of 55) that are not converted yet were originally scheduled for lease return, but are now being kept and will be converted in 2018, this is also the case with the 1 737-800 out of 48. There are also 3 new 737-800s that have the new seats and power, but still need WestJet Connect to be installed.

install rate is currently a dribble, as the mid 80s load factor doesn’t leave much room for aircraft to be taken out of service for the 2 week install, without leaving us short to fly the published schedule.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Return YVR-YYZ ("inbound") on the brand new 7M8.
Service inconsistent with my outbound flight.
- Individual Dasani bottle water not offered. According to the FA, they are discontinued. One was placed at the seat on the outbound prior to boarding.
- same 3 choices of meal except there was actually a "dessert" item on the inbound.
- Paper table clothe on the inbound but not on the outbound.
- FA came around only once with snack on the inbound and drink but several times on the outbound.
- Brand new plane but # of toilet obviously inadequate for long flights. The queue never stopped.
- No tray table in the middle seat for the 7M8.
- Both flights I asked for a glass of Coca Cola. On the inbound, I received one about 2/3 full in a glass. No refill although the FA complied when I requested. On the outbound, a full can and a glass.
- Dedicated FA always in the front galley on the outbound and not on the inbound.
My flight was delayed 3 hours ex-YVR and the way WS handled the delay left a lot to be desired. My first WS trip and was disappointed.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jan 4, 2018 at 8:08 pm
Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Back On Track?

Followed this thread, and it was very informative. Thank you. Other travel sites have also confirmed poor food service/choice, no snack packs, limited 'bar' service, and the demise of the bottles of water. Am I missing something? Lots of "Premium Economy" advertisements by WestJet, on television, but not sure anymore what the product actually is. Booked flights in 737 'plus' long ago (before the chopped leaf offering), and now worried about the actual service in 'premium economy'? Can anyone provide a situation report or update?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
An FA told me that Plus gets to choose from the snack basket which in someways are inferior to what the rest of the plane has access to in the food cart. When asked if I can get something from the cart instead, such as a snack box or tapas box, she said they were told to only offer what is in the basket but some FA might bend the rules and let Plus choose from the cart. Another words it depends on the FA.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
An FA told me that Plus gets to choose from the snack basket which in someways are inferior to what the rest of the plane has access to in the food cart. When asked if I can get something from the cart instead, such as a snack box or tapas box, she said they were told to only offer what is in the basket but some FA might bend the rules and let Plus choose from the cart. Another words it depends on the FA.
That’s pretty much the norm for all airlines. Domestic and transborder J class on United is little more than Premium Economy on many routes, and you get different snacks than what are offered for sale to the people in Y class. Same for Delta ... at least the shorter haul routes that I’ve done with them.

I dont know of any North American carrier that gives premium product passengers free access to the buy-on-board Economy offering. Other than WestJet (until now). Which is the challenge ... as they’re a “victim” of their own history. They built the expectation (with some customers) that the Plus product comes with free buy-on-board.

I have absolutely no problem with the Plus snack basket being different than what’s sold in the back ... provided that it’s a decent offering. It doesn’t have to be the same, and frankly - to differentiate Plus (a different product, after all!) - I think it really should be a different offering.

(For me, the frustration is the current inconsistency in the Plus experience.)
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by martiantoad
Followed this thread, and it was very informative. Thank you. Other travel sites have also confirmed poor food service/choice, no snack packs, limited 'bar' service, and the demise of the bottles of water. Am I missing something? Lots of "Premium Economy" advertisements by WestJet, on television, but not sure anymore what the product actually is. Booked flights in 737 'plus' long ago (before the chopped leaf offering), and now worried about the actual service in 'premium economy'? Can anyone provide a situation report or update?
I have flown in Plus five times in the last month and the little water bottles were there every time except for on an Encore segment where they were passed out around the time the door was closed.

Except on a 767 segment between YYZ and YYC where a hot meal was served the flight attendants listed the buy-on-board chopped leaf crap (or at the very least the Baja Bowl) among the offerings in Plus.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyerJ

I dont know of any North American carrier that gives premium product passengers free access to the buy-on-board Economy offering. Other than WestJet (until now). Which is the challenge ... as they’re a “victim” of their own history. They built the expectation (with some customers) that the Plus product comes with free buy-on-board.
Exactly. I've never seen a J passenger in AC ask for a few sandwiches, pizza and a bag of Nibs from the Y cabin cart. But like you say, WJ used to do it that way, and the change in practice naturally creates resent.

I expect those that do LMU's to Plus at check-in, then proceed to try and get every penny of their $75 back in food and booze will be the most upset. And I wouldn't be surprised if that behaviour is in part why this change has been made. I once saw a family of 4 go at the cart like hogs at the trough all the way from YWG - YVR. They were on their way to Hawaii and were stuffing their carry-ons with food to eat on the longer flight.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Yikes. And agreed! I’ve seen that too.

I recently witnessed two Plus passengers adamantly demanding (!) that they get the beef jerky and the “lite bites” box from the back, as though it were a god-given right. And then they also took the full actual Plus food offering too, of course. (I cringed at it, but the nice FA complied without so much as blinking.)

Once WestJet gets the Plus food issues ironed out — and once they’re actually able to get a consistent level Plus service on their planes - I think WS will have to cut off access to the “free buy-on-board”. It’s just stupid.

You get your premium Plus meal and access to the premium Plus snack basket. And if you want something else from the food offering that’s intended for other passengers? Then whip out your credit card and buy it.

(I still have two issues with that damn snack basket. First, there’s no consistency in whether it’s passed on a flight, or how often it’s passed. Still a total crapshoot. Second, it’s all pure 100% junk food. Sugar and carbs. Please include a bag of almonds - or something similar - as an option!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.