Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
More (or Moar as the kids say):
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Flew to SJO yesterday, and they offered a cheese box (unfortunately from the same company as the Chia pudding) as an alternative. Weird tasting corn based crackers and no sausages.
The snack basket included Pringles, Kit Kat, beef jerky and such. Like before.
Few took the Ch-ch-ch-chia pot. I did see one person take it, and the pot is the size of a timpani. She was fishing around in it with a fork, so maybe less Chia and hunting the berries or whatever is in there, like Winnie The Pooh looking for honey in a tree stump.
The FA did not seem surprised people opted out of that choice.
I did not ask if the coach meal boxes were available. Or what they are or if available.
I think even with a 5:30 flight time if people pay nothing they get nothing? Which is pretty amazing. Copa, Avianca etc., on similar routes feed everyone. I think even AA is back with a meal on longish flights.

Last edited by ricktoronto; Dec 6, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Ok, I had my first experience with the new menu in plus yesterday on my flight to YYC. I obviously declined the chia bowl, the flight attendant was more than accommodating allowing me to choose anything from the economy buy on board menu at no extra charge, so I had the Chopped Leaf Chicken Sandwich instead. I gotta say that the sandwich is a step above the wraps they used to serve, very filling, and rather tasty and fresh, some serious chunks of white meat in there. I give it a 9 out of 10, only because a part of the sandwich bread was a tiny bit soggy at one part due to all the toppings, and maybe it was a bit messy eating it with some of the generous portions of toppings falling out of the bread, good thing the wrapper was rather large to catch it all!! It was accompanied by a slice of banana bread, that also was a step above previously offered banana bread that came in the box with our breakfasts. I had the sandwich with my usual can of regular pringles and the usual snack offerings they offer everyone. To top it off, before landing I had a chocolate biscotti, which was also generously sized and a very nice snack to round things out, saved a portion of it that came in handy during work yesterday. My neighbor had the Chopped Leaf Baja Bowl, she said it was good, the salsa had a bit of "bite" to it, she said it was similar to a taco salad.

I do like that they are serving drinks in glassware in plus now. It was nice to have my McDonald's coffee in an actual coffee mug instead of a paper cup! All service in plus was done directly out of galley, with one flight attendant dedicated to plus throughout the entire flight, who was very attentive to our needs. Definitely a good experience all around!! I will say that if my wife was with me, she being a fussy and more plain eater would have probably gone hungry, so it would be really nice if Westjet would offer something less "fancy" for those with plain tastes, like a hearty roast beef sandwich or a scaled down version of the chicken sandwich.

Oh, and it was really nice to upgrade myself to Plus prior to the 24 hour check in by calling the gold line, saved me from having to get up at 6:10 am to ensure myself a seat with online checkin, as the plus cabin was already getting pretty full for the flight.

Two thumbs up from me!!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:05 pm

Let's hope they listen to the feedback and chia bowls head to the compost heap in January.
Also I think it's still sensible for a while to eat before the trip. That's my plan ex-SJO in a few days.
If you like cumin the corn crackers in the alternative meal will go down well.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
Ok, I had my first experience with the new menu in plus yesterday on my flight to YYC. I obviously declined the chia bowl, the flight attendant was more than accommodating allowing me to choose anything from the economy buy on board menu at no extra charge, so I had the Chopped Leaf Chicken Sandwich instead. I gotta say that the sandwich is a step above the wraps they used to serve, very filling, and rather tasty and fresh, some serious chunks of white meat in there. I give it a 9 out of 10, only because a part of the sandwich bread was a tiny bit soggy at one part due to all the toppings, and maybe it was a bit messy eating it with some of the generous portions of toppings falling out of the bread, good thing the wrapper was rather large to catch it all!! It was accompanied by a slice of banana bread, that also was a step above previously offered banana bread that came in the box with our breakfasts. I had the sandwich with my usual can of regular pringles and the usual snack offerings they offer everyone. To top it off, before landing I had a chocolate biscotti, which was also generously sized and a very nice snack to round things out, saved a portion of it that came in handy during work yesterday. My neighbor had the Chopped Leaf Baja Bowl, she said it was good, the salsa had a bit of "bite" to it, she said it was similar to a taco salad.

I do like that they are serving drinks in glassware in plus now. It was nice to have my McDonald's coffee in an actual coffee mug instead of a paper cup! All service in plus was done directly out of galley, with one flight attendant dedicated to plus throughout the entire flight, who was very attentive to our needs. Definitely a good experience all around!! I will say that if my wife was with me, she being a fussy and more plain eater would have probably gone hungry, so it would be really nice if Westjet would offer something less "fancy" for those with plain tastes, like a hearty roast beef sandwich or a scaled down version of the chicken sandwich.

Oh, and it was really nice to upgrade myself to Plus prior to the 24 hour check in by calling the gold line, saved me from having to get up at 6:10 am to ensure myself a seat with online checkin, as the plus cabin was already getting pretty full for the flight.

Two thumbs up from me!!
I assume that it was a morning flight from Ontario to YYC based on our comments about (not) having to get up at 6:10am to do the PLUS upgrade because of your Gold status.
So those in PLUS may choose any other meal items if they do not like the "superfood bowl", or it was simply a function of your Gold status?
I am flying YYZ-YVR in PLUS later this month. The flight will depart at 6pm, so a "dinner" flight. The "Chopped Leaf Chicken Sandwich" is available for pre-order at $9.49. If I shall be able to select one of the Chopped Leaf items if I do not like the "superfood bowl", I shall not need to pre-order.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
WestJet really needs to push out some clarifying communication on this - right now - to those who have purchased Plus fares for travel in the coming weeks.

Two weeks ago I was told, quite clearly, “No options. You get the Bowl or nothing - unless there are leftovers from the back, after Y is served - and the only other food available to Plus is the little packet of cookies or pretzels”. Period

Now others are are talking about baskets of snack items being offered. That did not exist on my flight. Even though Plus pax even asked for snack items.

And now others are reporting being offered other food options from the BoB menu. But that seems rare (or inconsistent at best).

As mentioned in my earlier post, I’ve booked and paid for Plus for my whole family for two flights later this month. At this point, I have absolutely no idea what I’m going to get. I’m concerned.

So far, based on clear instructions from my Plus section FA a couple of weeks ago, I’ve gone online to PAY for BoB food for those Plus flights. Which makes me furious. As far as I know, we might be the only people in Plus who get non-Chia Pudding food. Or we might end up getting the exact same as everyone else, but will have been the only idiots who paid extra for it.

This is bloody frustrating. I’ve paid my money for Plus, but have no idea what I’m actually going to receive, and - so far - have paid extra to buy food for my family in your “premium” product.

WestJet: Please, please, please communicate with your Plus customers. Now.

I realize it will take time to fix this mess, but don’t wait until then to explain to your paying customers what the heck is going on, and what the heck we’ll actually get when we’re on board.

Fix this!!

Last edited by FlyerJ; Dec 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:23 pm

It was pretty clear on the way to SJO they had added the cheese tray as another option as a standard and the snacks were expanded to be the same (no NIBS, mind you but that was for everyone) as before. It was fairly clear to me the FA knew they were getting bad mojo on the weird food.

I'd bet a BOB sandwich is better than either the sweet potato bowl or the cheese tray. And I'd bet a sandwich bought after security is better than either so it makes more sense to hedge with a terminal sourced snack than BOB food, to be honest. Also eating before the flight for most flights (other than the horribly long YYC LIR flight) could mean that a meal is nothing more than a distraction. I ate breakfast at the Plaza Premium lounge and didn't need a full meal for the flight.

I am having lunch in the SJO lounge before leaving next week as well.

It's not quite as much of a world ending risk as you make it sound. With all the bold type and !!! and all.

To the previous post I can't imagine if they were aware of people being Gold or not. A FA is not going to give one Plus passenger a choice and others sitting next to them no choice due to Gold status or not. I'd not put it past them to offer nothing to anyone but not select Gold over other Plus passengers, even if they knew who is who.

That said, a good airline would have the chief FA greet Gold passengers somehow which they don't do at all. Watch how AA, CX do that properly.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: WestJet Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
It was pretty clear on the way to SJO they had added the cheese tray as another option as a standard and the snacks were expanded to be the same (no NIBS, mind you but that was for everyone) as before. It was fairly clear to me the FA knew they were getting bad mojo on the weird food.

I'd bet a BOB sandwich is better than either the sweet potato bowl or the cheese tray. And I'd bet a sandwich bought after security is better than either so it makes more sense to hedge with a terminal sourced snack than BOB food, to be honest. Also eating before the flight for most flights (other than the horribly long YYC LIR flight) could mean that a meal is nothing more than a distraction. I ate breakfast at the Plaza Premium lounge and didn't need a full meal for the flight.

I am having lunch in the SJO lounge before leaving next week as well.

It's not quite as much of a world ending risk as you make it sound. With all the bold type and !!! and all.

To the previous post I can't imagine if they were aware of people being Gold or not. A FA is not going to give one Plus passenger a choice and others sitting next to them no choice due to Gold status or not. I'd not put it past them to offer nothing to anyone but not select Gold over other Plus passengers, even if they knew who is who.

That said, a good airline would have the chief FA greet Gold passengers somehow which they don't do at all. Watch how AA, CX do that properly.
The FAs do know who is Gold.. and they're "supposed" to acknowledge it to the Gold guest.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Last flight between YYC-YEG, supposedly too short a flight to offer anything but water, I got to choose from the snack basket - chocolate, biscotti, chips. What you get in PLUS seems very inconsistent and depends on the FA. Why are the WJ employees monitoring on this board silent on this issue?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by WJter
The FAs do know who is Gold.. and they're "supposed" to acknowledge it to the Gold guest.
Ho ho fat chance. They have missed doing that 4 times, on 7 legs thus far in 2017. I am not hopeful.
Let me check the magic 8-ball for Tuesday's flight.....
"Seems doubtful", there you have it.
Paid refundable full fare Plus and Gold and meh, who cares.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Last flight between YYC-YEG, supposedly too short a flight to offer anything but water, I got to choose from the snack basket - chocolate, biscotti, chips. What you get in PLUS seems very inconsistent and depends on the FA. Why are the WJ employees monitoring on this board silent on this issue?
Tell them on Twitter. Somewhat earlier in this post I mentioned that's what they want to hear, with locator code and flight details as they do want to know if FAs are acting unilaterally.
Expect them to monitor here like lurkers vs. actually telling them is too passive.
DM on Twitter and post publicly on Twitter which gets them moving (same as AA)
All the airlines social media hate a post like "hey AA why can't you ticket a full fare J ticket in 3 days for Pete's sake". Give that 15 minutes and a DM arrives asking for deets and 20 minutes after that it's done.
I'd rather AA or WS or WHY just do proper service than shaming them into it but it works better than calling and being put on hold.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Clipper801
I assume that it was a morning flight from Ontario to YYC based on our comments about (not) having to get up at 6:10am to do the PLUS upgrade because of your Gold status.
Yep, the pre-dawn 6:00 am flight!

So those in PLUS may choose any other meal items if they do not like the "superfood bowl", or it was simply a function of your Gold status?
They were offering the choice to other people seated in plus that certainly didn't seem to be Gold members (parent with two young kids).

I am flying YYZ-YVR in PLUS later this month. The flight will depart at 6pm, so a "dinner" flight. The "Chopped Leaf Chicken Sandwich" is available for pre-order at $9.49. If I shall be able to select one of the Chopped Leaf items if I do not like the "superfood bowl", I shall not need to pre-order.
That's a good question. For my late morning flight back home yesterday, the choices in Plus were the power "bowl" or the Bistro Box, but nothing else from the economy menu. I didn't feel "healthy" enough, so I chose the Bistro Box, which is kinda like the previously available cheese tray. I did request a can of regular pringles, the flight attendant did mention that's not normally available for plus meals, but she honoured my request. Maybe because I was super nice as usual, or maybe my Gold status, I dunno. I had two glasses of Merlot to wash it all down, very nice!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by WJter
The only flight where they actually acknowledged my gold status was a recent flight YUL-YYZ, the flight attendant thanked me for my business. It's a nice gesture, but I certainly don't expect it on every flight. I'm sure my status is on the printouts they have up front. It might be why I got a $50 westjet dollar credit on another flight where my seat got mixed up with another person's seat. I slept through that entire flight, so it really didn't bother me, and I certainly didn't make a fuss about it.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:37 pm

Flew back home yesterday, so I once again took advantage of upgrading myself to plus prior to the 24 hour checkin. Love the new gold benefit!!!

This was a 10:00 am departure, so the food options given to me were either the power bowl, or a Chopped Leaf Bistro box from the economy menu. I chose the Bistro box, along with a glass of Merlot which was rather nice. The Bistro box is kinda like the previous Cheese Tray, but they changed the Melba toast to 3 corn-based crackers. The corn crackers were ok, but I felt that there weren't enough crackers for the amount of cheese offered. I ended up doubling up the cheese on each cracker. One improvement that I wish would be to offer a another package of crackers of a different flavour in the bistro box, maybe multigrain, or even the previously available melba toast? Additionally I requested a can of pringles, which I received, though they did mention it was not part of the plus menu.

I think for us Plus "regulars" the change from being able to choose from anything on the regular menu, to ONLY being offered ONE choice (or more depending on how accommodating the flight attendant is), had lessened the perceived value of paying extra for the plus seat. I really don't mind an exclusive menu for the plus seats, but by golly, why be so limiting on giving us choices when there's plenty of food in the carts?? Are they that concerned that nobody is going to eat the plus meal choices offered? I'm sure some health conscious folk in economy would be willing to part with their money to buy the powerbowl that us "plus" folk rejected. Seems pretty telling that on the few flights I've been on since this "change" the forced menu items were not that popular in the plus cabins that I've been in, but then again my sampling size is rather small with just two flights this past week. I do like the Chopped Leaf Chicken sandwich, I think it's a winner, and the bistro box was ok, but the other options....meh.

So to the Westjet head office lurkers reading this thread but keeping silent, your flight attendants know that the changes are not that popular, and have been offering alternatives that are likely against head office directives. I would hope you make some adjustments that would make my $90+ dollar upgrade a bit more tasty to me and palatable to others who would appreciate more choices in the food they eat. Get to know who sits up front, and what choices they appreciate for the extra money they pay for those seats. Otherwise I really like the improvements in the service for plus: the glassware, one flight attendant dedicated to the plus cabin, the extra attention, the new wine options, these are all a step in the right direction!!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:01 pm

$90 upgrade, holy cow.
Try buying a full fare refundable Plus Flex ticket and the mediocrity of the new meal plan is quadrupled (I'd guess on this route vs. coach).
May be back to Copa on Central America routes until they wise up, for a few hundred more they offer actual J service, pay the departure taxes, have lounges at all airports and have 2 X 2 seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.