Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Had the chickpea/kale chicken bowl. It sucked. Kale was bitter, and I hate chickpeas. The alternative was the cheese box but that's not really a meal.

Great service but the food is awful.

And the white wine was warm.

Also the flimsy faux cotton tablecloth is a waste of time.

The hot towels are great, though.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I'm trying to remain as positive as I can, but honestly, the new menu just doesn't speak to me. I just make a point of eating before coming to the airport now. The onboard selection, at least in Plus, is pretty hard to stomach.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I'm trying to remain as positive as I can, but honestly, the new menu just doesn't speak to me. I just make a point of eating before coming to the airport now. The onboard selection, at least in Plus, is pretty hard to stomach.
I shall probably do the same for my upcoming flights. It's disappointing. Given WS charges as much as AC's Premium Economy for PLUS, it should provide a decent meal.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
Had the chickpea/kale chicken bowl. It sucked. Kale was bitter, and I hate chickpeas. The alternative was the cheese box but that's not really a meal.

Great service but the food is awful.
And the white wine was warm.
Also the flimsy faux cotton tablecloth is a waste of time.

The hot towels are great, though.
Did you ask for the BOB sandwich? I did on Tuesday and it was better than what they were offering which was something not on the menu (of 1 item). It was chicken and mango vs. chickpea and maple drizzle.
Just ask in Plus. The FAs seem to be well aware how awful the choices are.
Still eating in the terminal or even buying a sandwich in the terminal makes sense.
Still 100% on not acknowledging Gold nor paid Plus by the flight attendant for 2017.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:50 am

Just experienced the new plus menu and service down to Vegas last night. Great improvement in service, actually got acknowledged and personally welcomed for the first time. Actually using hot cloths vs the paper towels they used to use was a long overdue change as well as using glassware. As for the menu, total failure. They had the wrong menu on my flight, menu said it was the jasmine rice, instead it was the chickpea dish. Horrible. FA let us pick from the economy menu and it was a lot better than the plus menu. In plus had a choice of the cheese plate (that was on the economy menu) a chicken rice dish or a sandwich, both of which were more appetizing and filling then what plus had for offerings. Overall long overdue improvement in the overall on board menu, at least for economy but a step back for plus. As a regular flier who uses both AC and WestJet, still a long ways to go to match Premium Rouge.

WJ - cold meals, only a blocked middle seat.
AC Rouge - wider seats and a hot meal.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I LOVE chopped leaf. I used to eat it a few times a week when working DT. Lost a few lbs lol

I think it's a great change, would prefer to eat that that most the food offered US/Canada domestic J 10000%
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:28 pm

They can't even get the Chopped Leaf stuff that are on the menu with a choice of only one thing on the plane at all so don't fall too much in love with it.
So johndk got the chickpea glop that was missing on my flight on Tuesday last when it was the only thing on the menu but instead they had something with mangoes.
It's quite a feat to have one thing on a menu and then not actually have the one thing.
Good news in the morning you won't have to fight for the Chia pudding bowl because everyone in Plus says they don't want it, so more for you.
I am going to check on the price for refundable Rouge Premium to San Jose CR next trip because of the so-so service on WS on this route, as long as it's 767 and not 319 service. I assume that you get the AC lounge (not provided by WS in YYZ without Gold coupons and non-existent in SJO) and AC pays the SJO departure tax while WS struggles to figure out how to do this (with the only other airline incapable being Cubana). And bigger Rouge seats, to boot.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by johndk

WJ - cold meals, only a blocked middle seat.
AC Rouge - wider seats and a hot meal.
Hot meal is a purchase option in AC/ACr economy class. Essentially the business class entree.
If one pre-purchase a meal voucher at $7.95 + tax, one gets a meal item plus a snack item and the hot entree is an additional $5.
Besides the wider seats in AC PE/ACr PR, one also gets dedicated check-in kiosk, priority baggage handling, a dedicated cabin with dedicated toilet(s).
I really wonder what WS senior management is thinking ........
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
They can't even get the Chopped Leaf stuff that are on the menu with a choice of only one thing on the plane at all so don't fall too much in love with it.
So johndk got the chickpea glop that was missing on my flight on Tuesday last when it was the only thing on the menu but instead they had something with mangoes.
It's quite a feat to have one thing on a menu and then not actually have the one thing.
Good news in the morning you won't have to fight for the Chia pudding bowl because everyone in Plus says they don't want it, so more for you.
I am going to check on the price for refundable Rouge Premium to San Jose CR next trip because of the so-so service on WS on this route, as long as it's 767 and not 319 service. I assume that you get the AC lounge (not provided by WS in YYZ without Gold coupons and non-existent in SJO) and AC pays the SJO departure tax while WS struggles to figure out how to do this (with the only other airline incapable being Cubana). And bigger Rouge seats, to boot.
One gets MLL access with ACr PR for North American and Sun destination flights. Optional extra at $25/person for International flights.
I always treat AC's Premium Economy to be equivalent to WS Plus. However, at more or less the same price, AC PE is offering much more than WS Plus.
AC PE (North American routes) may access the MLL for $25/person. Many credit cards offer complimentary lounge access and AC MLL has nother to rave about anyway.

Last edited by Clipper801; Dec 20, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Clipper801
One gets MLL access with ACr PR.
... except for flights to Europe. No MLL access for Premium Rouge for flights to/from London or other European destinations — unless the passenger buys it.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Hmmm interesting to note. I've found AE PE fares not even remotely close to being comparable to WS Plus prices for LHR so it's an easy choice for me if I want to save and fly "PE"

For ex, YYC-LHR WS PE $1200(to buy outright), AC PE $2600, AC/BA J $4K+ . No brainier. There's not much really anything different for me between AC PE and WS Plus to LHR having flown both except the WS planes are OLD and the flight crew are much more more friendlier.

I've flown ACr for their INTL sun destinations/USA sun on both the plus style PR seats on 767 and the new 2/2 J seating that ACr has on their Airbus. I think it was $199 O/W to upgrade to PE YYZ-Mexico, which was amazing value for a couple friends who had no status and received all the benefits of AC PE. It was also always available at time of check in, but we just called in and upgraded in advance.

It's nothing to rave about for sure but for $199 O/W, I'd also fly AC Rogue PR to Sun over WS if it were the same price if you had no status as you do receive more benefits. Plus I do really like the ACPr crew, service and plane. The WS767's are just so noticeably old even with the "new" plus seats.

choice between ACr and WS in economy? WS all day. avoid ACr like the plague in Y
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ

... except for flights to Europe. No MLL access for Premium Rouge for flights to/from London or other European destinations — unless the passenger buys it.
Yes, that is correct. Thanks for clarifying.
ACr Premium Rouge is pretty much marketed as Premium Economy on International routes.
Access to the MLL is available at $25/person.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
One gets MLL access with ACr PR for North American and Sun destination flights. Optional extra at $25/person for International flights.
I always treat AC's Premium Economy to be equivalent to WS Plus. However, at more or less the same price, AC PE is offering much more than WS Plus.
AC PE (North American routes) may access the MLL for $25/person. Many credit cards offer complimentary lounge access and AC MLL has nother to rave about anyway.
What's a Sun destination flight?
Other than the poles occasionally, there's sun for at least some time everywhere on Earth.
I was in San Jose Costa Rica last week and just about froze my arse off. Not much sun, temps to 4 degrees in the hills.
Even Air Canada's web site is less than helpful on figuring out where the sun is.
If SJO is part of "sun destinations" do they provide access to Star Alliance lounges in SJO, e.g. Avianca or Copa lounges?

Last edited by ricktoronto; Dec 20, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
A flight attendant told me Chopped Leaf in Plus will go away as ovens are installed in the 737s but she wouldn’t be surprised to see them come up with something else sooner since it was ridiculous that people in Plus were eating cheese and crackers for breakfast. She had fairly lengthy chats with several passengers who had diatribes to offer about the new menu.

Another flight attendant described the new menu in general as an “over-correction” and said the revenue will speak for itself.

Personally I decided I wasn’t hungry enough to even poke at the quinoa bowl
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:07 am
Original Member

New Plus Menu begins today 21DEC! It's an interim measure, but will stabilize the Plus experience until proper new menu begins in very early 2018. The "Booster Bowls" and "Chia Bowls" are gone.
cedric and ottobud like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.