Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New food in Plus (737): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by cedric
I don't know if anyone has ever said this before... But makes me glad I booked Premium Rouge for a flight next month.
No.....no one has EVER said that before.
cedric, Arthurrs and ottobud like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by cedric
I don't know if anyone has ever said this before... But makes me glad I booked Premium Rouge for a flight next month.
OMG ... hell has finally frozen over.
cedric, Arthurrs and ottobud like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:18 am

Would appreciate post new food offer experience in PLUS on the YYZ-YVR route...... booked Plus over Christmas with a 6PM departure from YYZ and 1PM from YVR. It appears that the "super food bowl" is the only offer in Plus apart from beverages. Should I pre-order a "hot" meal? First time flying WS. Many thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I was in a play last week. There was a scene where one of the characters talked at length about the benefits of Kale, but was saddened that it was only used as garnish on buffet tables. Another character asked, "What do we do with the Kale? Do we eat it?" the first character replied, "Oh no! Throw it away, it is nasty!"
Arthurrs likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Just checked in for my YYC - CUN flight tomorrow. Was offered the Plus upgrade for $175, but with the changes in menu (and the recent increase in Plus upgrade costs), I really don't see the value in it. I kept our exit row seats. $175 for some kale isn't really appealing at all ;-)
ottobud likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Comments on twitter look to be 2:1 negative. I will have a breakfast and lunchtime opportunity to try this stuff before Christmas. I will try to keep an open mind.

Negative:

Positive:

Search:
https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=west...c=typd&lang=en

Edit: The links will show up if you press quote, I'm guessing a moderator has to approve the post as not spam.

Last edited by Error 601; Nov 30, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Wow. Interesting feedback!

FWIW, I’ve tried the Baja Bowl, the Soinach Chicken Salad, and the Bistro Box.

All are really good.

The problem: none are available in Plus, unless you purchase them ... in advance. All three products are only for pre-purchase, or for regular Economy (for purchase) during the flight.

And as mentioned in my earlier post, I’m one of the outliers who actually enjoyed the Chicken/Sweet Potato/Kale Bowl. My concerns, even though I liked it, were (a) no choice — it’s that or nothing, (b) absolutely no other food offered (other than a brownie) during the flight — no snacks, appetizers, or sides. And (c) when asked what options I’d have for an upcoming, paid Plus itinerary with my kids, I was told “none, get your own food”.

Pretty disappointing. Westjet really seems to have taken a serious fumble on this. They need to give Plus customers choice ... for a variety of tastes and preferences ... and I better not have another FA tell me (while seated in Plus) that I need to get my own food to bring on board!
Arthurrs likes this.

Last edited by FlyerJ; Nov 30, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
All of my recent flights have been short ones where food service hasn't been a consideration. That will change with tomorrow morning's hop to YVR. Booked in Plus, if only for the legroom and proper pull-down table (for my laptop ... the flip out exit row tables make lousy desks). But I think I'll eat at the airport. The Chia Pet Warrior Bowl doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Wow. Interesting feedback!

FWIW, I’ve tried the Baja Bowl, the Soinach Chicken Salad, and the Bistro Box.

All are really good.

The problem: none are available in Plus, unless you purchase them ... in advance. All three products are only for pre-purchase, or for regular Economy (for purchase) during the flight.

And as mentioned in my earlier post, I’m one of the outliers who actually enjoyed the Chicken/Sweet Potato/Kale Bowl.
The sounds far to healthy to be airline food. No will like that. It needs to be doped with sugar and salt. Lot of salt. Take the Kale out and you might have something that is appropriate for an airline.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Wow. Interesting feedback

And as mentioned in my earlier post, I’m one of the outliers who actually enjoyed the Chicken/Sweet Potato/Kale Bowl. My concerns, even though I liked it, were (a) no choice — it’s that or nothing, (b) absolutely no other food offered (other than a brownie) during the flight — no snacks, appetizers, or sides. And (c) when asked what options I’d have for an upcoming, paid Plus itinerary with my kids, I was told “none, get your own food”.

Pretty disappointing. Westjet really seems to have taken a serious fumble on this. They need to give Plus customers choice ... for a variety of tastes and preferences ... and I better not have another FA tell me (while seated in Plus) that I need to get my own food to bring on board!
More concerning than the food is that WJ seems to be adopting AC's particular brand of on board 'service'. If you're reading this Mr. Saretsky, is it with concern or pride?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:04 pm

The lack of a vegetarian option is brutal. For all the bad said about AC, one of my favourite things is that, short some 1-hour hops, every J menu has a vegetarian option. It's such a refreshing change from the US3 where I have to ask for a 'special' meal in advance.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rehoult
The lack of a vegetarian option is brutal.
There is a vegetarian option: the California Salad comes in two varieties: one with chicken,the other vegetarian.

But, alas, both salads are only available through pre-purchase. Not available for Plus guests (unless you want to buy it!)
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:19 am

There is a vegetarian option: the California Salad comes in two varieties: one with chicken,the other vegetarian.

But, alas, both salads are only available through pre-purchase. Not available for Plus guests (unless you want to buy it!)
Right, so like the US carriers, they require advance notice and unlike US carriers, they require payment (despite being in plus), to meet my (very common) dietary needs. Also, vegetarian doesn't just cover off that: it's also the easy way of covering off most religious meal requirements. It's such a common sense offering to have in Canada given the diverse population.

Beyond that, telling me I can only choose after Y pax are done is unacceptable. You don't offer a meal I can eat, and I can't buy one?! You should be selling the meal I don't eat in the back and letting me buy what I want.

I'm YYC based. I've worked with WS. I have many friends with WS. I would love to consider WS as my primary carrier. But, I truly cannot grasp how or why they are this bad at trying to win over business travellers. I don't know if it's poor plans from the top, or disagreement with the plans at the GA/FA level, but the attitude needs to change if they have a hope in heck of getting anywhere with it.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
OK, I take back my previous comment. This sounds really bad .
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by rehoult
Right, so like the US carriers, they require advance notice and unlike US carriers, they require payment (despite being in plus), to meet my (very common) dietary needs. Also, vegetarian doesn't just cover off that: it's also the easy way of covering off most religious meal requirements. It's such a common sense offering to have in Canada given the diverse population.

Beyond that, telling me I can only choose after Y pax are done is unacceptable. You don't offer a meal I can eat, and I can't buy one?! You should be selling the meal I don't eat in the back and letting me buy what I want.

I'm YYC based. I've worked with WS. I have many friends with WS. I would love to consider WS as my primary carrier. But, I truly cannot grasp how or why they are this bad at trying to win over business travellers. I don't know if it's poor plans from the top, or disagreement with the plans at the GA/FA level, but the attitude needs to change if they have a hope in heck of getting anywhere with it.
I agree with you completely. From what I have read, the recent changes are definitely a down-grade. I shall be flying WS for the first time in a few weeks booked in PLUS. I was somewhat looking forward to compare it with AC, but not any more. It looks increasingly like my first and last WS flight.
WS restricted PLUS fare is the same as AC's Premium Economy on several routes that I travel, but it is not offering nearly the same amenities as AC, e.g., a better seat, a hot meal, dedicated cabin, toilet, dedicated check-in and priority handling of baggage.

Last edited by Clipper801; Dec 2, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.