Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to fare structure from May 11, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to fare structure from May 11, 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
[QUOTE=radnub;28301221]Plus Lowest is now showing up when I search. It's just one instance (YYC-YHZ) but it looks like Plus Lowest isthe same price as the old Plus. I was sort of expecting/hoping for a little price drop.[QUOTE]

I noticed the same as well (on YHZ-YYC). I rarely, if ever fly WS but needed to consider it as an option for a flight in the near future. The new Plus Lowest fare on that route on that day is exactly the same as the old Plus fare and Plus flexible is $300 more...
Old May 13, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
WS Plus fare for YVR SFO is significantly more expensive than AC/UA in J. Why would anyone in their right mind fly WS on this route?
I tried a couple of dummy bookings and found the opposite. YYZ-YVR, YYZ-YYC, YYZ-YEG all came in with AC being more expensive - by up to $1,000. Evidently it depends on the route and, perhaps, what other competitors are involved.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:44 pm

The rebooking fee for changes more than 60 days out has been reduced to CAD 25. That is a positive development!

Also, the minimum redemption amount of WestJet Dollars has been lowered to 15. A friendly move that strengthens the Rewards program.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:45 pm

I frequently fly YKF<>YYC on business and always book a Plus fare, mainly for the flexibility it affords me (free changes, cancelation for $50, etc.). Now I see that the Plus fare I used to purchase has been renamed "Plus (Lowest)" but doesn't offer any of the flexibility it used to have; if I want that, I need to pay another $200 for "Plus (Flexible)".

So, I can either pay $200 for the new "Flexible" fare, or chose the "Lowest" fare and potentially pay a change fee of $100. Does this make sense to anyone? Who on earth would pay for the "Flexible" fare in this situation? And why aren't more people upset that WestJet has taken away features previously included in the plus Fare but haven't lowered the price accordingly? Or am I missing something obvious?

Truthfully, this whole thing has me looking at alternative flights out of YYZ on another airline.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:07 pm

Just another step towards being like everyone else. WestJet of yesteryear would have shunned this stuff - in fact made fun of it.

$665 for a Plus flexible ticket YWG-YYC. Get lost
Old May 16, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by ottobud
I frequently fly YKF<>YYC on business and always book a Plus fare, mainly for the flexibility it affords me (free changes, cancelation for $50, etc.). Now I see that the Plus fare I used to purchase has been renamed "Plus (Lowest)" but doesn't offer any of the flexibility it used to have; if I want that, I need to pay another $200 for "Plus (Flexible)".

So, I can either pay $200 for the new "Flexible" fare, or chose the "Lowest" fare and potentially pay a change fee of $100. Does this make sense to anyone? Who on earth would pay for the "Flexible" fare in this situation? And why aren't more people upset that WestJet has taken away features previously included in the plus Fare but haven't lowered the price accordingly? Or am I missing something obvious?

Truthfully, this whole thing has me looking at alternative flights out of YYZ on another airline.
Westjet being Westjet
Old May 16, 2017, 10:30 pm

So, I can either pay $200 for the new "Flexible" fare, or chose the "Lowest" fare and potentially pay a change fee of $100. Does this make sense to anyone? Who on earth would pay for the "Flexible" fare in this situation?
Those who book at a time when "Lowest" is unavailable ("sold out").

I find "Flex" even worse, because it's not.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
I for one will be curious to see the difference in price between the two new Plus fare types.
I picked a random date of 16/8/2017 on YYZ=YVR to check the WS fares with a comparison on AC.

I don't know why one would buy WS Flex instead of the Plus Lowest for the marginal price difference. If I am not 100% sure and need to "hold a seat" in the meantime, I'd buy AC as it still permits free cancellation within 24 hours.

If I don't need the "flexibility" of Plus Flexible, I'd seriously consider buying AC Tango instead of WS Plus Lowest. After paying extra for a Preferred Seat (including those PE seats on 777 and 787), a meal voucher and On My Way, I am still ahead of WS Plus Lowest.

Essentially, WS is now asking for a huge premium for the change and cancel "flexibilities" of the Plus fare.

I am not sure if WS is any more competitive with the change to its fare structure.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Clipper801; May 17, 2017 at 2:12 pm
Old May 17, 2017, 11:54 am

Enjoy the drive to Pearson.

I've done it countless times from the KW area.

It is colossal waste of time when, at least for me, time is money.

Non-stop to YYC and a quick connection to everywhere else in BC, Alberta.

Its a no-brainer.

Old May 17, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by HangTen
It is colossal waste of time when, at least for me, time is money.

Non-stop to YYC and a quick connection to everywhere else in BC, Alberta.

Its a no-brainer.

If I remember correctly, your 2004 Annual Report bio included a picture of you driving a convertible, top down, hair flowing in the Vancouver Island breeze.

But then I guess your comments were directed at the boring scenery of the 401 between KW and YYZ.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
It seems like a general price increase on WJ and further complicates their fare structure. I have always liked the simplicity of WJ but they seem to want to follow AC in segmenting and the result looks like a price hike.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
It seems like a general price increase on WJ and further complicates their fare structure. I have always liked the simplicity of WJ but they seem to want to follow AC in segmenting and the result looks like a price hike.
The price has not changed but one gets less at that price.

This seems to be the trend. It's like facial tissues are on sale again at Shoppers for $0.69/box. Then you realise instead of 90 sheets per box, it's now only 78 sheets. It's still the same price per box.

Yes, WS has effectively raised the price of the old Plus by stripping away many of the features while the price stays relatively the same.

The "new" Plus with all the old Plus features now cost a lot more.

Last edited by Clipper801; May 20, 2017 at 10:27 am
Old May 20, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801

I don't know why one would buy WS Flex instead of the Plus Lowest for the marginal price difference. If I am not 100% sure and need to "hold a seat" in the meantime, I'd buy AC as it still permits free cancellation within 24 hours.

I am not sure if WS is any more competitive with the change to its fare structure.
Fully refundable is still a better deal in Plus than AC in "lowest" J which has no refunds at all. That's about the extent. Refundable after 24 hours is the real need these tickets fill, not changing your mind a few hours later.

Where they are falling apart is non domestic routes where I can get real J fully refundable for a small premium and let's face it, their Plus is not real J.

YVR I probably wouldn't mind a so much since I go a few times a year and can always bank the ticket but I do need quite a lot of flexibility and it's a drag how they've fiddled.

Time to put 2 seats per row in Plus, WestJet if you want to charge for "pricey sort of J", you need J seats.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
The price has not changed but one gets less at that price.

This seems to be the trend. It's like facial tissues are on sale again at Shoppers for $0.69/box. Then you realise instead of 90 sheets per box, it's now only 78 sheets. It's still the same price per box.
Consumerist calls this the grocery shrink-ray.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Fully refundable is still a better deal in Plus than AC in "lowest" J which has no refunds at all. That's about the extent. Refundable after 24 hours is the real need these tickets fill, not changing your mind a few hours later.

Where they are falling apart is non domestic routes where I can get real J fully refundable for a small premium and let's face it, their Plus is not real J.

YVR I probably wouldn't mind a so much since I go a few times a year and can always bank the ticket but I do need quite a lot of flexibility and it's a drag how they've fiddled.

Time to put 2 seats per row in Plus, WestJet if you want to charge for "pricey sort of J", you need J seats.
I don't think that it's fair to compare WS Plus with AC's lowest J. It's two completely different hard products. WS Plus is probably better described as a "premium" or "upgraded" economy class. IMO AC's Latitude is a closer match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.