FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Changes to fare structure from May 11, 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1841980-changes-fare-structure-may-11-2017-a.html)

tracon May 11, 2017 9:18 am

Changes to fare structure from May 11, 2017

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...-fares/options

Plus split between lowest and flexible.

Except the website doesn't allow me to choose between the two.
Only flexible is offered.

tcook052 May 11, 2017 9:56 am

Well worth noting is that for bookings made 7 days or less prior to departure there is no longer a 24-hour grace period in which to cancel for a full refund.

Also the change fees are different depending upon when changes are made.

aerobod May 11, 2017 10:36 am

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 28298078)
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...-fares/options

Plus split between lowest and flexible.

Except the website doesn't allow me to choose between the two.
Only flexible is offered.

Today "Plus" is renamed as "Plus Flexible", as other changes in the fare structure and website are made throughout the day, you will see "Plus Lowest" appear as a separate fare by tomorrow.

tcook052 May 11, 2017 10:48 am

Originally Posted by aerobod (Post 28298499)
Today "Plus" is renamed as "Plus Flexible", as other changes in the fare structure and website are made throughout the day, you will see "Plus Lowest" appear as a separate fare by tomorrow.

I for one will be curious to see the difference in price between the two new Plus fare types.

tracon May 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Apparently I'll let you know tomorrow.
It appears that Plus lowest will be yesterdays price.:(
The Plus flex are about 50% higher on the routes I'm watching.

ricktoronto May 11, 2017 9:29 pm

You can see Plus Flexible on flights YYZ SJO right now. It's about $300 more than when I flew in February (and there is no Plus Lowest), but I don't know if that's due to fewer flights, the time of year or a higher fare.

What I do know it's only now about $300 less than Copa in proper J so they might not want to get too capricious on pricing and do themselves out of a market of people like me who pay for refundable J fares and won't pay for their imitation.

YYZ YVR which I flew in Plus a week ago is about $900 higher and once again there's no Plus Lowest shown. Again that might be supply and demand but I'd also have to look at a P fare on AC for their J product. Hmm... about $700 savings vs. AC restricted J which even given AC generally is not that much of a savings for a trip where changes are unlikely.

Are they doing away with the upgrade at check-in? They should.

yul36 May 11, 2017 9:49 pm

revising

mahasamatman May 11, 2017 9:51 pm

WS Plus fare for YVR SFO is significantly more expensive than AC/UA in J. Why would anyone in their right mind fly WS on this route?

yul36 May 11, 2017 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 28298276)
Well worth noting is that for bookings made 7 days or less prior to departure there is no longer a 24-hour grace period in which to cancel for a full refund.

Also the change fees are different depending upon when changes are made.

This is a deal breaker for me. I was liking Westjet, have had some very good flights and interactions with them over the past few years. But I tend to book and travel on short notice usually within a week. If they can't give the same grace period of 24 hours like other airlines, well I guess i will see the inside of many more AC flights than I anticipated. Like Sunday for instance, a flight that would have been WS no questions asked. I see this bipolar airline syndrome coming back. Are we a low cost mom and pop carrier, or with our Gold program a serious business contender. Now we know which side won.

radnub May 11, 2017 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 28299042)
Apparently I'll let you know tomorrow.
It appears that Plus lowest will be yesterdays price.:(
The Plus flex are about 50% higher on the routes I'm watching.

Plus Lowest is now showing up when I search. It's just one instance (YYC-YHZ) but it looks like Plus Lowest isthe same price as the old Plus. :( I was sort of expecting/hoping for a little price drop.

I'm hoping one can still upgrade at check-in! ^

PS: Who buys Flex fares on WS? The only difference I see between Flex and Econo is a free checked bag and cheaper seat selection. Is there something I'm missing?

yul36 May 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Westjetters:

Does this mean that simplicity is done, and there are no longer free same day changes within the YUL, YYZ, YOW, LGA markets.

smallmj May 12, 2017 3:31 am

Originally Posted by radnub (Post 28301221)

PS: Who buys Flex fares on WS? The only difference I see between Flex and Econo is a free checked bag and cheaper seat selection. Is there something I'm missing?

I was helping someone navigate the WS website to buy a YHZ-JAX round trip about 3 weeks out. There were no Econo fares available, only Flex. Not sure why.

tcook052 May 12, 2017 7:04 am

Originally Posted by yul36 (Post 28301084)
This is a deal breaker for me. I was liking Westjet, have had some very good flights and interactions with them over the past few years. But I tend to book and travel on short notice usually within a week. If they can't give the same grace period of 24 hours like other airlines, well I guess i will see the inside of many more AC flights than I anticipated.

Not so fast as I expect AC will "enhance" their fare rules to stop offering free cancellation within 24-hours for bookings made less than a week prior to match WJ's new rules because they can.

sokolov May 12, 2017 11:05 am

Apparently, Westjet wants to prop up travel agents who offer free cancellation​.

Like ExpediaforTD until midnight Pacific Time, or expedia.com AFAIK until midnight (?) the next busines day.

Who else?

YXUFlyboy May 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by radnub (Post 28301221)

When the Econo fares run out it's the next cheapest fare :)