Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to fare structure from May 11, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...-fares/options

Plus split between lowest and flexible.

Except the website doesn't allow me to choose between the two.
Only flexible is offered.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Well worth noting is that for bookings made 7 days or less prior to departure there is no longer a 24-hour grace period in which to cancel for a full refund.

Also the change fees are different depending upon when changes are made.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by tracon
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...-fares/options

Plus split between lowest and flexible.

Except the website doesn't allow me to choose between the two.
Only flexible is offered.
Today "Plus" is renamed as "Plus Flexible", as other changes in the fare structure and website are made throughout the day, you will see "Plus Lowest" appear as a separate fare by tomorrow.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by aerobod
Today "Plus" is renamed as "Plus Flexible", as other changes in the fare structure and website are made throughout the day, you will see "Plus Lowest" appear as a separate fare by tomorrow.
I for one will be curious to see the difference in price between the two new Plus fare types.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Apparently I'll let you know tomorrow.
It appears that Plus lowest will be yesterdays price.
The Plus flex are about 50% higher on the routes I'm watching.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
You can see Plus Flexible on flights YYZ SJO right now. It's about $300 more than when I flew in February (and there is no Plus Lowest), but I don't know if that's due to fewer flights, the time of year or a higher fare.

What I do know it's only now about $300 less than Copa in proper J so they might not want to get too capricious on pricing and do themselves out of a market of people like me who pay for refundable J fares and won't pay for their imitation.

YYZ YVR which I flew in Plus a week ago is about $900 higher and once again there's no Plus Lowest shown. Again that might be supply and demand but I'd also have to look at a P fare on AC for their J product. Hmm... about $700 savings vs. AC restricted J which even given AC generally is not that much of a savings for a trip where changes are unlikely.

Are they doing away with the upgrade at check-in? They should.

Last edited by ricktoronto; May 11, 2017 at 9:35 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
revising
Old May 11, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
WS Plus fare for YVR SFO is significantly more expensive than AC/UA in J. Why would anyone in their right mind fly WS on this route?
Old May 11, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Well worth noting is that for bookings made 7 days or less prior to departure there is no longer a 24-hour grace period in which to cancel for a full refund.

Also the change fees are different depending upon when changes are made.
This is a deal breaker for me. I was liking Westjet, have had some very good flights and interactions with them over the past few years. But I tend to book and travel on short notice usually within a week. If they can't give the same grace period of 24 hours like other airlines, well I guess i will see the inside of many more AC flights than I anticipated. Like Sunday for instance, a flight that would have been WS no questions asked. I see this bipolar airline syndrome coming back. Are we a low cost mom and pop carrier, or with our Gold program a serious business contender. Now we know which side won.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by tracon
Apparently I'll let you know tomorrow.
It appears that Plus lowest will be yesterdays price.
The Plus flex are about 50% higher on the routes I'm watching.
Plus Lowest is now showing up when I search. It's just one instance (YYC-YHZ) but it looks like Plus Lowest isthe same price as the old Plus. I was sort of expecting/hoping for a little price drop.

I'm hoping one can still upgrade at check-in! ^

PS: Who buys Flex fares on WS? The only difference I see between Flex and Econo is a free checked bag and cheaper seat selection. Is there something I'm missing?
Old May 11, 2017, 11:20 pm

Westjetters:

Does this mean that simplicity is done, and there are no longer free same day changes within the YUL, YYZ, YOW, LGA markets.

Last edited by yul36; May 11, 2017 at 11:29 pm
Old May 12, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by radnub

PS: Who buys Flex fares on WS? The only difference I see between Flex and Econo is a free checked bag and cheaper seat selection. Is there something I'm missing?
I was helping someone navigate the WS website to buy a YHZ-JAX round trip about 3 weeks out. There were no Econo fares available, only Flex. Not sure why.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by yul36
This is a deal breaker for me. I was liking Westjet, have had some very good flights and interactions with them over the past few years. But I tend to book and travel on short notice usually within a week. If they can't give the same grace period of 24 hours like other airlines, well I guess i will see the inside of many more AC flights than I anticipated.
Not so fast as I expect AC will "enhance" their fare rules to stop offering free cancellation within 24-hours for bookings made less than a week prior to match WJ's new rules because they can.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:05 am

Apparently, Westjet wants to prop up travel agents who offer free cancellation​.

Like ExpediaforTD until midnight Pacific Time, or expedia.com AFAIK until midnight (?) the next busines day.

Who else?
Old May 12, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by radnub
When the Econo fares run out it's the next cheapest fare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.