Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS announces Canada to London-Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 3:18 pm

737 from YYT.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/fly-we...151500488.html

Canada's low-fare leader offers a total of 28 non-stop flights weekly from Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and St. John's along with fares on connecting flights from select cities for only $20 more

CALGARY, Sept. 15, 2015 /CNW/ - WestJet today announced it will launch new non-stop service next spring to London (Gatwick) a total of four times daily from six Canadian cities: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto and St. John's. These new routes represent WestJet's first non-stop service to London, and the only non-stop service from Winnipeg to the United Kingdom.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:08 pm

What is WestJet's strategy in regards to connecting flights from LGW?

Aegean would be awesome. That could become a good offer for the passengers SkyGreece was serving.

I have read that easyJet wants to become a feeder for transatlantic flights.

And of course there is BA.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Hoping BA will have an awesome deal coming as we have first class tickets booked on the inaugural flight of the A380 into YVR just need a cheap positioning flight with them to get us to LHR.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
oh boy, now if only WS earned status miles somewhere this would be even more amazing... as someone flying YVR-EU often this is a sweet deal tho. 299!

Do you guys think AA will codeshare/ticket these? Because... then they'd earn status miles... :/
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: AC, AA, AS, UA, WN, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by YoYUL
Congrats to all the winners. Sigh, YOW's overlooked again
Originally Posted by Heffeh41
More connections through YYZ. Just what I needed
So it turns out YOW is gaining 1-stop, same-plane service to LGW on WS. The 73G from YYT will originate in YOW with the same flight numbers.

WS 24
17:30 YOW - YYT 1h59 stop - 08:00 LGW

WS 25
9:20 LGW - YYT 1h53 stop - 14:51 YOW

It's strange that WS didn't include this in their big announcements as they heavily hyped the fact that the GLA and DUB routes are 1-stop, same-plane direct service out of YYZ.

So look at that, while not nonstop, new transatlantic service for YOW without the need to make a connection. 1-stop's the next best thing to nonstop.

Psst WS, don't keep this new direct YOW-LGW service a secret.

Last edited by YoYUL; Sep 17, 2015 at 7:43 am
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Possibly because the connection times, especially on the outbound are horrible?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Possibly because the connection times, especially on the outbound are horrible?
Are you referring to the length of the YYT stop? It's only 10 mins more than the YYZ-DUB YYT stop.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Congrats to YWG, but only 1x/week? I was guessing it would have been 2-3x/week. Nevertheless, I'm sure Winnipegers will be over the moon to have transatlantic service again. First time since that weekly Wow Air KEF service a few years back.
Also, when's the last time YWG had scheduled wide-body service to any destination? I can't recall any in the recent past. Maybe "back in the day?"
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Also, when's the last time YWG had scheduled wide-body service to any destination? I can't recall any in the recent past. Maybe "back in the day?"
Excluding regularly scheduled freighter service at YWG, Zoom had the weekly 763 to LGW. Also, hasn't TS sent 310s down south out of YWG the past couple of winters? I know the 310 is on the skeds for this winter.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:14 pm

hasn't TS sent 310s down south out of YWG the past couple of winters? I know the 310 is on the skeds for this winter.
Ah, that appears to be correct. In fact, the 310 looks to be operating out of YWG virtually every day over the winter season. So I guess this new Westjet flight to LGW isn't as notable in terms of widebody capacity after all.

Wonder if there's ever been a "legacy" carrier that's operated widebody flights out of YWG?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 3:22 pm

Is CP385/386 legacy enough for you.

Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Is CP385/386 legacy enough for you.

^

Very nice. I had no idea that service once existed. Man, YWG-AMS on a DC10. That was a different era, for sure.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC
I'm quite disappointed to see the lack of any growth from WS in YUL. It's pathetic actually.

Maybe in the future they could give YUL-ORY a try, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:56 pm

I think WS is always on the lookout for qualified bilingual flight attendants (French, and otherwise), so I am really looking forward to seeing expanded YUL routes!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by YYCguy
I think WS is always on the lookout for qualified bilingual flight attendants (French, and otherwise), so I am really looking forward to seeing expanded YUL routes!
It's a constant struggle for them to find bilingual FAs. Most of the time they're hard pressed to have a bilingual gate agent in YOW or staff a flight with one bilingual FA on a YOW departure, let alone a full compliment for their YUL and YQB ops. It'll be a long time before they fly transatlantic to a non-English speaking destination. No doubt CDG will be the first one though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.