WS announces Canada to London-Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:13 pm

Here's my guess for four 767s:
  1. YYZ-LGW (daily)
  2. YYC-LGW (daily)
  3. YEG/YWG-LGW (4x/3x)
  4. YOW/YUL-LGW (3x/4x)

Should be enough wiggle room in the schedule to loop aircraft back through YYC for maintenance with a daily YYC-YYZ on the widebody.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see one aircraft operating winter flights (3x YYC with connections on to ski areas in YLW/YKA/etc)
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by HangTen
Icelandair has no feed at the Cdn end of the pipeline.
WestJet feeds Icelandair at YEG. It was amazing waiting for my bags at YEG after flying back from KEF seeing all the tags continuing onto YVR, YYC, YLW and YXE.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by CZBB
Here's my guess for four 767s:
  1. YYZ-LGW (daily)
  2. YYC-LGW (daily)
  3. YEG/YWG-LGW (4x/3x)
  4. YOW/YUL-LGW (3x/4x)

Should be enough wiggle room in the schedule to loop aircraft back through YYC for maintenance with a daily YYC-YYZ on the widebody.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see one aircraft operating winter flights (3x YYC with connections on to ski areas in YLW/YKA/etc)
Nice guess but my understanding is that WS has only one slot pair at LGW.

My guess is that WS longhaul will have the following schedule. Note I calculate that WS 763 will have approximately 24-28 round trip frequencies. (Route ~ Frequency/week)
- YEG-LGW 3x
- YYC-GLA/EDI 2x
- YYC-DUB 2x
- YYC-YYZ 7x
- YYC-TXL/SXF 2x
- YYZ-GLA/EDI 2x
- YYZ-DUB 2x
- YYZ-TXL/SXF 2x
- YYZ-LGW 2x
- YHZ-LGW 2x

Above analysis assumes that WS does NOT join an alliance.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Above analysis assumes that WS does NOT join an alliance.
Now if WS would partner up with Alaska.....
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
WestJet feeds Icelandair at YEG. It was amazing waiting for my bags at YEG after flying back from KEF seeing all the tags continuing onto YVR, YYC, YLW and YXE.
That will continue as long as it's in WJs best interests to do so, which it currently is.

That may not be the case next summer.....

Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:11 pm

Why would WestJet end an interline agreement? To have less people fly on their planes??
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:46 pm

Why would WestJet end an interline agreement? To have less people fly on their planes??
To not further the interests of a competitor. Or of a non-alliance-member.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
To not further the interests of a competitor. Or of a non-alliance-member.
That makes no sense. WestJet is filling its own planes to help feed Icelandair. Will they also be ending agreements with BA and KLM? Just give all those domestic connections to Air Canada?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:43 pm

I presume this recent discussion concerns the Icelandair service from Edmonton, which seems to have been assumed by some to an alternative Edmonton-London service to the existing Air Canada service. It is true that if Westjet starts Edmonton-London service there might be some competition with Icelandair (as well as with Air Canada!). However, the numbers cannot support much of a scrap in my opinion.

For example, today I see only three Icelandair flights to London (two Heathrow and one Gatwick) from Keflavik. These receive traffic from at least sixteen flights from North America as well as a significant local Iceland-London load. The normal share of the Edmonton flight would be about twenty passengers to London. In my opinion there will be very little competition between Icelandair and a possible Westjet service. Besides, as I understand it, on interline connections of this sort the local end (Westjet) gets the more profitable piece of the pie. I don't see Westjet changing anything.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I wonder what the result of YEG-LGW would be? We all know AC hasn't been happy with YEG-LHR in the past and is down to a seasonal service. I don't know how Icelandair is doing out of YEG, but add in KLM too, and its suddenly a packed YEG-Europe market, considering where YEG was just a couple years ago.

My prediction- a summer seasonal, 3xweekly YEG-LGW flight on Westjet. AC will pull out of YEG-LHR completely and feed pax through YYC, which will get 2 daily flights in the high season (A333 and 763). AC seems like the weakest player in YEG- as others expand flights, AC seems to cut. I'd also guess that Westjet would have flights nearly daily on YYC-LHR. Yes YYC has a lot to Europe already, but Westjet out of YYC can feed off pax from BC, all over AB (ie. YEG), SK, MB, and parts of the US. Look at places like YLW, YYJ, YQR or YXE- Westjet is probably just as big, or bigger than, AC at these stations, so the potential feed is there!

I don't have any formal stats, but I have heard that Westjet is the market leader in YEG. AC bashing seems to be a local past time, so I can see Westjet doing well here. YEG certainly isn't a premium market, so a Y+ product would likely do well.

Just my thoughts. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: Winnipeg Transit:-)
Originally Posted by nave888
I wonder what the result of YEG-LGW would be? We all know AC hasn't been happy with YEG-LHR in the past and is down to a seasonal service. I don't know how Icelandair is doing out of YEG, but add in KLM too, and its suddenly a packed YEG-Europe market, considering where YEG was just a couple years ago.

My prediction- a summer seasonal, 3xweekly YEG-LGW flight on Westjet. AC will pull out of YEG-LHR completely and feed pax through YYC, which will get 2 daily flights in the high season (A333 and 763). AC seems like the weakest player in YEG- as others expand flights, AC seems to cut. I'd also guess that Westjet would have flights nearly daily on YYC-LHR. Yes YYC has a lot to Europe already, but Westjet out of YYC can feed off pax from BC, all over AB (ie. YEG), SK, MB, and parts of the US. Look at places like YLW, YYJ, YQR or YXE- Westjet is probably just as big, or bigger than, AC at these stations, so the potential feed is there!

I don't have any formal stats, but I have heard that Westjet is the market leader in YEG. AC bashing seems to be a local past time, so I can see Westjet doing well here. YEG certainly isn't a premium market, so a Y+ product would likely do well.

Just my thoughts. It'll be interesting to see what actually happens!
Edmonton could work but possibly not daily. I would rule out Winnipeg except for maybe a once weekly service. Really if their risk tolerance is low they will look at Vancouver first, then Toronto. Yes, Virgin couldn't make it work from Vancouver but they were too focused on upper cabin customers that didn't materialize. YVR LGW could work very well.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by yuma santos
Edmonton could work but possibly not daily. I would rule out Winnipeg except for maybe a once weekly service. Really if their risk tolerance is low they will look at Vancouver first, then Toronto. Yes, Virgin couldn't make it work from Vancouver but they were too focused on upper cabin customers that didn't materialize. YVR LGW could work very well.
YVR wouldn't work. People will fly BA to LHR when there's already frequency AND premium service. Or they fly AC. Market from YVR is too full, especially when AC can just feed cheap YVR traffic to YYC or YYZ or YUL.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:31 am

That makes no sense. WestJet is filling its own planes to help feed Icelandair. Will they also be ending agreements with BA and KLM? Just give all those domestic connections to Air Canada?
Air Canada also Interlines with FI http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...codeshare.html
and they have not stopped the agreement.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by HangTen
That will continue as long as it's in WJs best interests to do so, which it currently is.

That may not be the case next summer.....

Is Westjet planning to fly their 767 trans Con, YYC/YVR to YYZ so they can increase the aircraft flying hours(not have them sitting large parts of the day waiting for their London flight).
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC, WS, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Is Westjet planning to fly their 767 trans Con, YYC/YVR to YYZ so they can increase the aircraft flying hours(not have them sitting large parts of the day waiting for their London flight).
Blog post mentions a YYC-YYZ flight for the 763:

http://blog.westjet.com/new-westjet-...ter-2015-2016/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.