Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America to expand?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Originally Posted by flyboy777
Well they are competing on routes, big routes at that (Bay Area/Los Angeles Area - JFK). VX are not after feed traffic. B6 only have a twice daily SEA-JFK service. CO & DL have multidaily flights which can easily be eaten in to. Also, many SEA-NYC pax connect en route so no. of direct flights does not reflect all the demand.

Hawaii is well in range of the Airbus A320 series. West Coast - Hawaii is similar in length to transcons.
http://www.world-airport-codes.com/dist/?a1=sea&a2=hnl
http://www.airbus.com/en/aircraftfam...fications.html

Aircraft aren't just assigned to single routes & flow throughout the system. Also, an A320 will take only 60 First seats. I doubt Virgin would be able to coax up a demand that high on EVERY flight. Besides, it would dilute the product & make it a little more average.

Precisely. Just because VX centres it's ops out of certain cities does not make them a hub & spoke. Low cost airlines such as Ryanair have dozens of bases but NEVER interline passengers.
I believe AA has JFK flights and AS has EWR flights from SEA-NYC.

Hawaii would require ETOPS for the A320's and is at the end of their range, in case of high head winds there is not a landing strip 200 miles away from ITO.

I will agree that VX is not a hub and spoke airline because its "hubs" are not in good connecting places (SFO is the farthest west major airport in the Continental USA). However, VX not adding routes like SEA-SAN which has one airline going 13X a day with high yields shows that they are bound by a SFO/LAX mentality that will eventualy kill them.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by prismwiz
I believe AA has JFK flights and AS has EWR flights from SEA-NYC.

Hawaii would require ETOPS for the A320's and is at the end of their range, in case of high head winds there is not a landing strip 200 miles away from ITO.

I will agree that VX is not a hub and spoke airline because its "hubs" are not in good connecting places (SFO is the farthest west major airport in the Continental USA). However, VX not adding routes like SEA-SAN which has one airline going 13X a day with high yields shows that they are bound by a SFO/LAX mentality that will eventualy kill them.
Yes, AS/AA have flight to New York but not really with any frequency, enough to satisfy the demand for an AMERICAN or ALASKA flight on the route. I wouldn't consider either to be a major player on the route.

Yes, ETOPS would be required. A319 is well in range of Hawaii with headwinds since the overall flight times are very similar. A320 family aircraft can stay in the air for hours upon hours & I'm not talking the -LR or ACJ versions. BMED (now bmi) fly it's fleet exclusively on sectors this length from Heathrow to the Middle East & Africa.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Yes, AS/AA have flight to New York but not really with any frequency, enough to satisfy the demand for an AMERICAN or ALASKA flight on the route. I wouldn't consider either to be a major player on the route.

Yes, ETOPS would be required. A319 is well in range of Hawaii with headwinds since the overall flight times are very similar. A320 family aircraft can stay in the air for hours upon hours & I'm not talking the -LR or ACJ versions. BMED (now bmi) fly it's fleet exclusively on sectors this length from Heathrow to the Middle East & Africa.
Based on a random date (3/27/08) AS has 2 SEA-EWR flights, AA has 1 SEA-JFK flight, CO has 3 SEA-EWR flights, DL has 3 SEA-JFK flights, and B6 has 1 SEA-JFK flight. Although, in the summer B6 adds an additional SEA-JFK flight. Excluding the summer seasonal B6 flight, you wouldn't consider AS with 1/5 if the flights to be a major player. AS and AA combined bring 3 flights, equal to DL or CO.

Sorry, I read your post as the A320 would be the plane, not the A319, my bad.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
... A319 is well in range of Hawaii with headwinds since the overall flight times are very similar. A320 family aircraft can stay in the air for hours upon hours & I'm not talking the -LR or ACJ versions. ...
Isn't there a requirement that the plane has to be able to complete the distance on one engine if it is over open ocean?

I remember reading something about that somewhere... I think it might have been in an article about the 777 or 787? Maybe I'm imagining things? I'm sure there would be many ppl here who could clarify either way.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
"While the new cities aren't confirmed, Cush did hint at opening service in Chicago and Boston."

^ http://www.jaunted.com/story/2008/2/...is+Flying+High
Ouch, not more transcon. VX does not have the cash reserves to fight transcon battles.

Hub and Spoke has been proven many times to not be the most effecient way to run an airline. WN has used P2P, NK has used P2P to some extent, B6 has a big base @JFK but is still a P2P airline. SX is a hub airline, DH was a hub airline, the majors are hub airlines. VX should NOT be a hub airline. If there is a market that has demand and proper yield than VX should try it and not care just about enhancing the SFO and LAX hubs.
SX is not a hub and spoke airline. NK should now be considered a hub and spoke airline. WN might not be hub and spoke but they funnel a lot of traffic over certain "hubs" (i.e. BWI).

Originally Posted by rjque
Whether it should or shouldn't adopt point-to-point isn't the issue. It seems clear that VX has, at least initially, adopted a hub and spoke route system.
Is it clear? There is enough demand on each short haul route to justify service. Connectivity is just the icing on the cake.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by audio-nut

SX is not a hub and spoke airline. NK should now be considered a hub and spoke airline. WN might not be hub and spoke but they funnel a lot of traffic over certain "hubs" (i.e. BWI).
SX is hub and spoke just as Alligent and Ryan Air are hub and spoke airlines, they put everyone through their hubs where their planes are based. SX has GSO and CMH. NK is some P2P (DTW/ATL/MYR routes) and some hub (FLL). WN is P2P with enough critical mass that connections naturally happen. The truth is that VX will expand and fight for survival but unless there is an extraordinary occurance like UA pulling out of SFO/LAX, oil going down to $70 barrel, or foriegn ownership laws are voided VX will die a quick and painful death like DH. I hope to be proven wrong because no young airline deserves to die.

BOS and ORD/MDW will most likely be opened but unless there is a radical change into profit VX may not be around long enough to open PDX or BUR (cities they should open)

Last edited by prismwiz; Feb 24, 2008 at 4:56 pm Reason: change AUS with BUR
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:28 pm

SX is hub and spoke just as Alligent and Ryan Air are hub and spoke airlines, they put everyone through their hubs where their planes are based. NK is some P2P (DTW/ATL/MYR routes) and some hub (FLL). WN is P2P with enough critical mass that connections naturally happen.
I guess we differ on what the word "hub" means. I consider a hub to be a place to connect passengers, thus FR, SX and G4 are point to point carriers. You take a hub to mean a base of operations. Your definition makes almost every airline in the world a hub and spoke carrier, including WN and B6.

The truth is that VX will expand and fight for survival but unless there is an extraordinary occurance like UA pulling out of SFO/LAX, oil going down to $70 barrel, or foriegn ownership laws are voided VX will die a quick and painful death like DH. I hope to be proven wrong because no young airline deserves to die.
I think a young airline deserves to die if their business plan is flawed. VX's plan is flawed at $100/barrel oil. IMO it's also flawed at $70/barrel oil.

Word on the street is that things are getting very tense at the Burlingame office.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 2:33 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Isn't there a requirement that the plane has to be able to complete the distance on one engine if it is over open ocean?

I remember reading something about that somewhere... I think it might have been in an article about the 777 or 787? Maybe I'm imagining things? I'm sure there would be many ppl here who could clarify either way.
ETOPS is an acronym for Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards, an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) rule permitting twin-engined commercial air transports to fly routes that, at some points, are farther than a distance of 60 minutes flying time from an emergency or diversion airport with one engine inoperative. ETOPS is also known in the air transport industry by the tongue-in-cheek backronym Engines Turn or Passengers Swim.

This rule allows twin-engined airlinerssuch as the Airbus A300, A310, A320, A330 and A350 families, and the Boeing 737, 757, 767, 777 and 787 and Tupolev Tu-204 to fly long distance routes that were previously off-limits to twin-engined aircraft. Contrary to popular/mistaken belief, ETOPS operation has no direct correlation to water, nor distance over water. It refers strictly to single-engine flight times between suitable diversion airfields; regardless as to whether such fields are separated by water, deserts, polar expanses, recurrent (i.e. night-time) airport closures, etc.

ETOPS may be replaced by a newer system, referred to as LROPS, an acronym for Long Range Operational Performance Standards, which will affect all civil airliners, not merely those with a twin-engine configuration. Government-owned aircraft (including military) do not have to adhere to ETOPS. Until the mid-1980's, the term EROPS (extended range operations) was used before being superseded by ETOPS usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS

B777s & A330s were the first aircraft to be designed as ETOPS out of the box, eg. the were certificated from the very begining. Airbus A320 family aircraft could get this certificate easily as (I think) it's awarded based upon a number of hours without engine shutdowns. Hawaii will need about 180 minutes given that it's a 6 hour overwater flight...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:12 pm

ETOPS is an acronym for Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards, an International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) rule permitting twin-engined commercial air transports to fly routes that, at some points, are farther than a distance of 60 minutes flying time from an emergency or diversion airport with one engine inoperative. ETOPS is also known in the air transport industry by the tongue-in-cheek backronym Engines Turn or Passengers Swim.

This rule allows twin-engined airlinerssuch as the Airbus A300, A310, A320, A330 and A350 families, and the Boeing 737, 757, 767, 777 and 787 and Tupolev Tu-204 to fly long distance routes that were previously off-limits to twin-engined aircraft. Contrary to popular/mistaken belief, ETOPS operation has no direct correlation to water, nor distance over water. It refers strictly to single-engine flight times between suitable diversion airfields; regardless as to whether such fields are separated by water, deserts, polar expanses, recurrent (i.e. night-time) airport closures, etc.

ETOPS may be replaced by a newer system, referred to as LROPS, an acronym for Long Range Operational Performance Standards, which will affect all civil airliners, not merely those with a twin-engine configuration. Government-owned aircraft (including military) do not have to adhere to ETOPS. Until the mid-1980's, the term EROPS (extended range operations) was used before being superseded by ETOPS usage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETOPS

B777s & A330s were the first aircraft to be designed as ETOPS out of the box, eg. the were certificated from the very begining. Airbus A320 family aircraft could get this certificate easily as (I think) it's awarded based upon a number of hours without engine shutdowns. Hawaii will need about 180 minutes given that it's a 6 hour overwater flight...

Thanks for that ^ I knew it was something along those lines.

Why doesn't Airbus or Boeing certify their newer versions of the a320 and a319? Perhaps they fear they would sell less of the longer range aircraft?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:54 pm

I guess we differ on what the word "hub" means. I consider a hub to be a place to connect passengers, thus FR, SX and G4 are point to point carriers. You take a hub to mean a base of operations. Your definition makes almost every airline in the world a hub and spoke carrier, including WN and B6.

I think a young airline deserves to die if their business plan is flawed. VX's plan is flawed at $100/barrel oil. IMO it's also flawed at $70/barrel oil.

Word on the street is that things are getting very tense at the Burlingame office.
I use the word "hub" to mean different things for different airlines. For the standard legacy airline like DL or AS I use the word "hub" to conotate connecting. For LCC's like G4 or SX I define their hubs as bases that have their only flights, FA and pilot bases. SX has CMH and GSO. G4 has LAS/SFB/PIE/FLL/IWA/BLI and UTA (last two added recently). G4 only has flights to where they base their planes, SX's only non-CMH/GSO route is PSM-PGD or UST. B6 is not a hub and spoke airline because of their willing to add P2P flights like SLC-BUR and SAN-SEA. WN is not a hub and spoke airline because they fly only P2P routes with connecters being the icing.

Maybe VX does deserve to die, but at their funeral I will weep (figuretivly) real tears. I only bicked $70bbl because that seemed like an unreasnably low # (amazing, 8 years ago oil was near $10bbl). I would hope things are getting tense in Burlingame, I (and everyone else paying attention) could tell you that!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 1:47 am

I use the word "hub" to mean different things for different airlines.
Fair enough. People in the industry would disagree. A carrier that doesn't offer connections doesn't have a hub. Look at the FR route map vs the WN route map. Very similar, yet you call WN a point to point carrier and FR a hub and spoke carrier yet FR will not let a passenger book a connection itinerary and WN will. In fact I would argue that WN on the east coast has built a true connecting hub at BWI. How much of the PVD/ALB/BDL/BUF/ISP/PVD-BWI traffic is O&D? I bet less than 60%.

I would hope things are getting tense in Burlingame, I (and everyone else paying attention) could tell you that!
Maybe I was being a bit coy. I will not disclose the rumors I have heard except to say that VX management now is aware how grim the situation is. I don't think they will make 2009.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 5:47 am

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
I will not disclose the rumors I have heard except to say that VX management now is aware how grim the situation is. I don't think they will make 2009.
Don't dispute what you're saying, you're probably right, but then why did they just announce they were hiring another 1000 people? Why did SRB say they were running ahead of the plan to be profitable in 2 yrs? Why did Fred Reid say loads were "running north of 80%"?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 7:32 am

IMHO codesharing would increase loads a lot. They may not serve many cities yet, but if they could connect you to your destination on another partner, that'd increase their traffic.

Looks like I'll be flying YEG->SFO (and then around the US) towards the end of next month. I'm thinking that I'll fly YEG->SEA on Air Canada, then hop on a VX SEA->SFO flight. If VX was part of *A, then that option would automagically be presented to me on aircanada.com or virginamerica.com and I wouldn't have to explicitly book it that way.

I'm guessing that V Australia will be looking to code-share with VX in Q4 this year, when they start SYD->LAX. I'm surprised VS haven't already (LHR->SFO?).

It would also allow a lot of ppl who are not familiar with VX to try their product (and if Red is installed, like it ).
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:47 pm

IMHO codesharing would increase loads a lot. They may not serve many cities yet, but if they could connect you to your destination on another partner, that'd increase their traffic.

Looks like I'll be flying YEG->SFO (and then around the US) towards the end of next month. I'm thinking that I'll fly YEG->SEA on Air Canada, then hop on a VX SEA->SFO flight. If VX was part of *A, then that option would automagically be presented to me on aircanada.com or virginamerica.com and I wouldn't have to explicitly book it that way.

I'm guessing that V Australia will be looking to code-share with VX in Q4 this year, when they start SYD->LAX. I'm surprised VS haven't already (LHR->SFO?).

It would also allow a lot of ppl who are not familiar with VX to try their product (and if Red is installed, like it ).
VX will never be a part of *A, UA would veto. What would codesharing give VX? VS and V Australia would give minimal benifit to VX, only benifiting the other airlines. What airlines would want to codeshare with VX? Other than VS and V Australia.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by 707Flyer
Don't dispute what you're saying, you're probably right, but then why did they just announce they were hiring another 1000 people? Why did SRB say they were running ahead of the plan to be profitable in 2 yrs? Why did Fred Reid say loads were "running north of 80%"?
Because audio-nut is talking about rumors, not fact. At least that's how he characterized it. You need to assign it the weight it deserves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.