FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin America to expand?
View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:28 pm
audio-nut

Originally Posted by prismwiz
SX is hub and spoke just as Alligent and Ryan Air are hub and spoke airlines, they put everyone through their hubs where their planes are based. NK is some P2P (DTW/ATL/MYR routes) and some hub (FLL). WN is P2P with enough critical mass that connections naturally happen.
I guess we differ on what the word "hub" means. I consider a hub to be a place to connect passengers, thus FR, SX and G4 are point to point carriers. You take a hub to mean a base of operations. Your definition makes almost every airline in the world a hub and spoke carrier, including WN and B6.

Originally Posted by prismwiz
The truth is that VX will expand and fight for survival but unless there is an extraordinary occurance like UA pulling out of SFO/LAX, oil going down to $70 barrel, or foriegn ownership laws are voided VX will die a quick and painful death like DH. I hope to be proven wrong because no young airline deserves to die.
I think a young airline deserves to die if their business plan is flawed. VX's plan is flawed at $100/barrel oil. IMO it's also flawed at $70/barrel oil.

Word on the street is that things are getting very tense at the Burlingame office.