Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska ditching Virgin's great first class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
The one new thing you will get with a First Class ticket, is domestic lounge access.
Only Alaska & Hawaiian offer this, for premium, non-transcon products.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
The one new thing you will get with a First Class ticket, is domestic lounge access.
Only Alaska & Hawaiian offer this, for premium, non-transcon products.
Blah. Get this already via Priority Pass.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by chenalex
Which airline other than Jetblue now offers live TV out of LAX? Jetblue only flies to like 5 places out of LAX, so its not really a viable option for me.
not the same as seat back obviously, but southwest does I think
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/p...-PRODUCTS-WIFI
Jetblue also flies to a lot more locations out of LGB, which I would imagine is a far better airport experience than LAX.
Austin, Boston, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, New York–JFK, Oakland, Portland, Reno/Tahoe, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, San Jose (CA), Seattle/Tacoma
Old Mar 23, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by tphuang
not the same as seat back obviously, but southwest does I think
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/p...-PRODUCTS-WIFI
Jetblue also flies to a lot more locations out of LGB, which I would imagine is a far better airport experience than LAX.
Austin, Boston, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, New York–JFK, Oakland, Portland, Reno/Tahoe, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, San Jose (CA), Seattle/Tacoma
Southwest offers only a very limited number of channels though (fewer than VX, way fewer than B9).
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by shza
Blah. Get this already via Priority Pass.
PP has become almost useless for AS lounges. See related thread on AS forum.
No PP admitted signs have become the norm at PDX, SEA, LAX etc, Lounges.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
Originally Posted by GO_CAT

What a sad day for this great carrier and more importantly a sad day for product innovation in general. It actually really annoys me that the big corporate guy is taking over the hip little guy. Virgin offers a great product differentiation across all its carriers of VS, VX, VA.
Let's not pretend that Alaska is some sort of corporate monolith. It only had around 150 planes, pre-merger. It's not like some monster like Delta or (shudder) United. To most of us in the PNW, Alaska is seen as the "little guy."

I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised. Obviously, I'm coming to this from the perspective of a longtime AS flyer, but I've also flown VX and I feel like I got the sense of why it's has such a following. If I were an AS executive, after this decision, I'd expect to see a small (but vocal) group of people leave out of distaste for the merger or other ill-will. But I'd also expect a healthy number of former VX people to try an Alaska flight, maybe be pleasantly surprised, and stick with it either out of convenience or route network or whatever else. Over time the growth from the merger will outweigh the loss of that vocal minority.

What's that about promises? Underpromise and overdeliver?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Seeing that AS is taking nothing from the VX brand and is just following through on the plan AS had for its own brand, VX continues to be dying a slow and painful death. One benefit to me is that with every announcement, it is easier and easier to not bother to achieve any status with the new airline. While silver and gold for many of the years since the start up, I have spent $96 so far this year--just to use up one of my 25% off coupons and my remaining travel bank.

Mint has really changed the game and I will just about requalify for Mosaic status upon my return from Colombia via the East Coast with a Mint this week.

VX was good while it lasted but honestly there are other options out there better than AS.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:40 am

so clearly Virgin brand and quality is out the window, then the question is what's left? What airline would you say comes close to their brand new planes and quality of travel?

I'm puzzled as to what airline to switch to since there aren't any new players in the market -- just the old airlines which I've flown on many years ago and can't stand to give them a dollar?

Virgin was different; I never even looked at the dollars; it was an easy decision every time. Now it's back to the status quo -- or could there be another airline startup that I don't know about?

Oh and being a pilot myself I will never set foot on Alaska -- most have forgotten the jack screw sadness over LA.. come on it wasn't that long ago. Cheap fleet and bad maintenance may be fixable over time but I'm making it clear that I'm not just another dissatisfied VX traveler; there's more to the story than that
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Boyan Biandov
so clearly Virgin brand and quality is out the window, then the question is what's left? What airline would you say comes close to their brand new planes and quality of travel?
JetBlue. And welcome to FT!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
JetBlue. And welcome to FT!
I really wish it were a more viable option from SFO. The only airlines that offer real ease of schedule for SFO routes will be AS and UA -- and AS is probably the lesser of two evils there, given that UA is as bad as it gets.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by shza
I really wish it were a more viable option from SFO. The only airlines that offer real ease of schedule for SFO routes will be AS and UA -- and AS is probably the lesser of two evils there, given that UA is as bad as it gets.
What airport has more than two "viable option[s]"?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

LAX has 5
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Colin
LAX has 5
Since no airline has a dominant share or destination portfolio, that is very much debatable.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by MattJ
When will VX cease?
To the person trying to compare VA business class to VX F or AS F, VA business is 38" pitch.

At least you guys get 41"...

QF 737's get 37"...
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

QF 737's get 37"...
Wow I'm so glad I flew on their Airbus route to Cairns -- I'm 6'2" and the A320 had plenty of leg room (no Internet though if one has to complain but that's not a real complaint);

Sure I didn't pull a tape measure to get some empirical evidence but I would've squealed at 37" for sure

And yes that's before they started using 737-800 on that route...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.