Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska ditching Virgin's great first class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
VX never had the major corporate contracts out of LA, so its done what it could to have a competitive product, but with no major updates since it came out, the product has now been leapfrogged by everyone.
Regarding VX F hard product, from my experience I would much rather have lieflats on DL, UA, AA or even better Mint on B6 (all mostly trancon LAX/SFO-NY).

Put me in standard domestic F on DL, UA and AA and I would much rather have VX F. DL in particular can be a little tight in domestic F.

The problem of course is domestic route network on DL, AA, and UA trumps anything out there.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
See the DNA and Brand Roadmap details in the Alaska Investor's Day presentation of March this year, from page 27. Premium is not the plan. Leisure Enthusiasts are the primary target.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....ventId=5251562
Well, that explains that. Sad... thank you.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Regarding VX F hard product, from my experience I would much rather have lieflats on DL, UA, AA or even better Mint on B6 (all mostly trancon LAX/SFO-NY).

Put me in standard domestic F on DL, UA and AA and I would much rather have VX F. DL in particular can be a little tight in domestic F.

The problem of course is domestic route network on DL, AA, and UA trumps anything out there.
I'm really in a jam on carriers right now:
-AS' network just plain sucks for me. VX's sucked as well, but their F product made it worth the trip up to Washington to catch a flight. Without that, it's generally not worth the hike to DCA/BWI unless fares out of the rest of Virginia just suck (and it's almost never worth going to IAD). Also, on VX I was at least able to get status relatively easily via paid F. That's not the case with AS (and I have no great desire to spend a massive amount of time on AS to pile up the mileage). Literally the only reason I have to push for status on AS is because I've effectively been stuck with a large pile of miles there.
-B6 has the best premium product. They would be my first choice except for the fact that most flights don't even have a premium product (sorry, B6, EMS doesn't count). I've also found their FFP to be a bit arcane and really just don't like it. The fact that I can't book a RIC-BOS-wherever flight and book a Mint seat on the BOS-wherever flight also makes me want to throw things at them.
-DL probably has the best domestic lie-flat network...in particular, I've used the ATL-SEA lie-flat on a few occasions and I love it. DL might also have the best network in general for my purposes, though that's a bit variable. Also, they've got VS as a rather generous status partner (I know, the surcharges on VS suck, but I can at least milk them for status and some benefits there, and status on them is relatively cheap).

AA and UA sort-of fall by the wayside for me. They have some decent partners, but (for example) I can't even really justify taking AA to earn status on AS. Had the AS/DL partnership survived that would have been one thing, but it didn't. UA's main bright spot is SQ as a partner while AA's would be AS. However, they at least have a passable route network vis-a-vis AS.

In short, with this announcement, AS is the last airline I want to bother screwing around with. They basically take the worst parts of B6 (thin route network) and the legacies (weak F product) and merge them. Any advice on an airline I can status-match with?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
-AS' network just plain sucks for me. VX's sucked as well, but their F product made it worth the trip up to Washington to catch a flight. Without that, it's generally not worth the hike to DCA/BWI unless fares out of the rest of Virginia just suck (and it's almost never worth going to IAD). Also, on VX I was at least able to get status relatively easily via paid F. That's not the case with AS (and I have no great desire to spend a massive amount of time on AS to pile up the mileage). Literally the only reason I have to push for status on AS is because I've effectively been stuck with a large pile of miles there.
-B6 has the best premium product. They would be my first choice except for the fact that most flights don't even have a premium product (sorry, B6, EMS doesn't count). I've also found their FFP to be a bit arcane and really just don't like it. The fact that I can't book a RIC-BOS-wherever flight and book a Mint seat on the BOS-wherever flight also makes me want to throw things at them.
-DL probably has the best domestic lie-flat network...in particular, I've used the ATL-SEA lie-flat on a few occasions and I love it. DL might also have the best network in general for my purposes, though that's a bit variable. Also, they've got VS as a rather generous status partner (I know, the surcharges on VS suck, but I can at least milk them for status and some benefits there, and status on them is relatively cheap).

AA and UA sort-of fall by the wayside for me. They have some decent partners, but (for example) I can't even really justify taking AA to earn status on AS. Had the AS/DL partnership survived that would have been one thing, but it didn't. UA's main bright spot is SQ as a partner while AA's would be AS. However, they at least have a passable route network vis-a-vis AS.

In short, with this announcement, AS is the last airline I want to bother screwing around with. They basically take the worst parts of B6 (thin route network) and the legacies (weak F product) and merge them. Any advice on an airline I can status-match with?
interesting. Outside of their D1 routes, where else do the lie flat usually appear. You mentioned SEA-ATL here and I know about SEA-JFK. Any other ones?

With mint expansion, their lie flat capacity probably will really jump in the next few years. Who knows what other routes could get added.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Think it is time to move Gray or lower your expectations. Your options are now very limited.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by tphuang
interesting. Outside of their D1 routes, where else do the lie flat usually appear. You mentioned SEA-ATL here and I know about SEA-JFK. Any other ones?

With mint expansion, their lie flat capacity probably will really jump in the next few years. Who knows what other routes could get added.
Here's the current list of wide-body lie-flat operations:

Boeing 767-300ER
LAX-ATL and VV - 1x daily through end of schedule
LAX-HNL and VV - 1x daily through end of schedule
ATL-SEA and VV (to facilitate SEA-PVG - 36J/172Y version ships 1607-1613)
ATL-JFK and VV - 1x daily
SEA-JFK (DL992) starting June 8, 2017 till at least July 25, 2017.

Boeing 767-400ER
DL 2144 MCO-ATL 9:50am arrives at 11:29am (From 9/22/17-12/16/17)
DL 790 ATL-MCO 6:30pm arrives at 8:04pm (From 9/22/17-12/16/17)

Boeing 777-200LR/ER
DL240 ATL-LAX 8:20am arrives 10:20am
DL633 LAX-ATL 9:00am arrives 4:20pm

Airbus A330-300
ATL-HNL and VV - 1x daily through end of schedule
JFK-LAX DL499 every day except Sat until Jun 11, 3:45pm arrives 7:00pm

Going down into 757s, you can add:
DCA-LAX
BOS-SFO

I think I've also seen a few odd ducks: I swear I once saw ATL-RDU pop up, and ATL-DTW occasionally draws a lucky straw at super-peak seasons due to needing to facilitate moves. Last year I regularly saw ATL-SLC, but that seems to be missing now. Still, the presence of a decent number of routes out of ATL (I count at least six routes with a daily option, possibly a few more on occasion) with this is more (and more convenient) than most other airlines that I know of.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Also, they've got VS as a rather generous status partner (I know, the surcharges on VS suck, but I can at least milk them for status and some benefits there, and status on them is relatively cheap).
Delta SkyMiles awards have no fuel/international origin surcharge on USA-LON-USA operated by VS. The assertion was refuted by a Delta employee in the thread. You can check for yourself.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Current DL schedule offers the nearly lie flat JFK-PHL 757 each afternoon, if 90 minutes (scheduled) rocks your boat. Repositioning for PHL-London used to be ATL-PHL, was more useful -
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A reminder that posts should be VX-related. Posts regarding other airlines and routes belong in the respective airline forum.

dayone AS/VX Moderator
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
A reminder that posts should be VX-related. Posts regarding other airlines and routes belong in the respective airline forum.

dayone AS/VX Moderator
I hate to say it, but considering how the merger is going, "Where should I go as the airline merger rips away what brought me here?" seems to be a valid conversation point. Moreover, it's not going to land squarely in the forum for DL (or B6, AA, or UA) and I know I'm not the only probable refugee from VX from this mess.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:13 pm

I hate to say it, but considering how the merger is going, "Where should I go as the airline merger rips away what brought me here?" seems to be a valid conversation point. Moreover, it's not going to land squarely in the forum for DL (or B6, AA, or UA)
Such comments have nothing to do with this thread and any more OT posts will be deleted.

A new thread, narrowly discussing Elevate members moving to other programs, would be fine. Detailed discussions of other programs or airlines should be posted in the respective forum.

dayone AS/VX Moderator
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
FWIW if I was flying trancon F class out of the DC area I would probably stay with VX's product through the end of this year and maybe even 2018...

Mileage Plan in 2018 will be the same plan for VX, so status will be mileage based. I agree that status on VX is easier with F class purchases, and I actually appreciate that about Elevate.

I don't think AS (my speculation) will convert any trancon VX craft during 2018, and won't really get going until 2019. Again a guess. As for your stash of VX Elevate points converted into AS Mileage Plan miles, in reality you'll probably have more options for redemption than with VX. There's not much downside to that.

Starting in 2019 we'll really be seeing the "old" VX Airbus layout, including it's current F, starting to disappear and at that time you could "jump ship". Who knows, there may be different options by then.

Just 2 cents worth.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS
Just flew VX in F again yesterday. Really trying to enjoy each trip and realize that soon it will change. Really appreciate the pillows and duvet.
Love the free movies , even on a 2.5 hour flight. AS does not offer the same.
We are very much aware how this will be the last of the short haul "luxury" travel experiences for us.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:25 am

I'll pre-face this by saying that I am not a frequent flyer. I fly maybe 2-3 times a year for leisure...

Next Monday will be my final flight with Virgin America ever. My wife and I are using all of our VX points for a SEA->LAX trip and back in First Class. I'm sad about it because I love VX, like we all do, for domestic FC and the mood and attitude of a company trying to upend the industry to provide better domestic service and quality.

I also use AS exclusively for flights that don't have a VX option, because I live in Orlando and go to and from Seattle all of the time (Delta also have a non-stop to and from Orlando, but they are often red-eyes and I dislike Delta). We don't fly FC with them ever Alaska anymore because we just can't afford it and don't have the milage or status, but when we did it was just "meh" compared to VX. The last time we fly FC with Alaska was probably 5 years ago now. Alaska is not a bad airline, they are just normal like the rest of them, and that sucks.

I will really miss the Virgin experience and will savor every minute of our flights in FC this coming week.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ethanwa
fly maybe 2-3 times a year for leisure...

[...]

I live in Orlando and go to and from Seattle all of the time [...] We don't fly FC with them ever Alaska anymore because we just can't afford it and don't have the milage or status,
Four MCO-SEA roundtrips/year would earn MVP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.