Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska ditching Virgin's great first class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
That is what the duvet and pillow are for.
Don't think they put duvets and pillows on LAS-SFO length flights.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Baze
No I didn't. There were no instructions on either fight I was in F for how to operate the seat or even bring the screen up. Short flights, LAS-SFO length, so not really a big deal on that. But even knowing how to operate the seat would not make it any softer. I found it very hard and uncomfortable.
Instructions?

From my first F flight on VX, I do not recall having any issues with the intuitive features available.

The seats are far superior to any F product flying, except for the lie-flat transcon seats on a few airlines which are recently proliferating.

The space, as well as the adjustable footrest, make these seats unique. Service and attitude is great as well. I think we all understand, VX F is going away. But that does not mean that it is not a better product, and that we will not all miss it when it is phased out.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Instructions?

From my first F flight on VX, I do not recall having any issues with the intuitive features available.

The seats are far superior to any F product flying, except for the lie-flat transcon seats on a few airlines which are recently proliferating.

The space, as well as the adjustable footrest, make these seats unique. Service and attitude is great as well. I think we all understand, VX F is going away. But that does not mean that it is not a better product, and that we will not all miss it when it is phased out.
I could figure out most everything. Only spent a couple minutes trying to find the tv screen. Was a short flight so not a problem. Sometimes there are features that aren't obvious. Instructions would show everything. But that's just me. I actually read the manual when get a new car, TV, etc.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

I think we all understand, VX F is going away. But that does not mean that it is not a better product, and that we will not all miss it when it is phased out.
I might have missed it, had I not recently flown B6 Mint, which is truly another level above VX F and anything else domestic as far as I know. Now I can barely remember it
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by StingWest
I might have missed it, had I not recently flown B6 Mint, which is truly another level above VX F and anything else domestic as far as I know. Now I can barely remember it
Been thinking about that looking at FLL-SFO/LAX since mint entrance.

Seems like long term, VX's F is too great for anything short and medium range. And for actual transcon markets, mint would've killed VX in any market that had enough premium demand. From that sense, VX really got sold off at the right time.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by tphuang
From that sense, VX really got sold off at the right time.
Or VX would have really needed to update the TRANCON product to compete.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Or VX would have really needed to update the TRANCON product to compete.
A second-gen F seat was under consideration at the time of the merger.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by dayone
A second-gen F seat was under consideration at the time of the merger.
I didn't realize this, but it sure makes sense. All in, it's fairly amazing how well the F setup carried on considering its age.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
When is VX F ending - the original poster links to the AS page about the merger and that 2019 is final year for VX. Has it changed?
I booked VX F in November and hope it's still VX F but only one way, Ord-SFO. For the opposite, VX F was too much so I had to overpay with very inferior AA F.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
From what I have seen, VX aircraft re-configs begin in early 2018, presumably after the combined operating certificate is received, targeted in January.

I presume they will get the new Alaska F seats that were announced awhile back but I don't think have been installed anywhere yet. They are pretty standard, just a little better/newer.

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...lass-retrofit/

Get used to the minimal F food offerings too which may come sooner.

Last edited by dmodemd; Sep 7, 2017 at 12:19 pm
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS
wondering if we will still be able to request snack from Y? For example, the pack of chocolate chip cookies?
Are they still loading the snack basket for F?
Not sure what our flight will be like in a few weeks. From reports, F is drastically pared down from what it was 2 months ago.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
wondering if we will still be able to request snack from Y? For example, the pack of chocolate chip cookies?
Are they still loading the snack basket for F?
Not sure what our flight will be like in a few weeks. From reports, F is drastically pared down from what it was 2 months ago.

First Class service is still the same, and will be for the next many months at least. You won't notice any difference than in the past, with the exception of head phones, as we are in between the old ones and new ones.
Carfield likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
First Class service is still the same, and will be for the next many months at least. You won't notice any difference than in the past, with the exception of head phones, as we are in between the old ones and new ones.
Thank you so much, love you !!
Hope you are on one of our next 4 flights.
Headphones, not a big deal, for me. Blankets and pillow , great for cold feet and lower back . Dean and Deluca Fruit Salad candies in snack basket, my new obsession . I know, hit or miss, but love to find them when they are loaded.
Service has always been spot on and now I am excited to be flying again on VX.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Searched for info on this and this was the best thread I could find. If there is one more relevant, feel free to point me in the right direction

As a longtime AS F flyer who got a taste of the great VX F product. As a result, I have been flying a lot of VX F lately and loving it. I am thinking of booking VX paid F for a flight next March but I am scared that the retrofit to AS F will happen before then and I will be kicking myself for paying such a premium when I can get AS F for the price of coach + a GGU.

Is there a schedule of when this change to AS-style F seats will happen? Or a hard and fast date as the start date? Flight in question will be the second or third week of March, 2018 SFO-HNL.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:03 am
Original Poster

fly HA flat beds. it will be cheaper.

UA also runs flat beds on that route, and cheap with originations elsewhere like PDX. UA Hawaiii fares often permit free stopover and no HIP check. On the return, just hidden city.

No reason to believe AS 32X fleet will have even started retrofit in 5 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.