Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old May 26, 20, 9:42 am

My son's renewal application was received on March 23, 2020 for routine service.

I called today (05/26/2020) all I got from the agent is that the processing will be significantly delayed by several months. They didn't tell me if they process applications from January or February now. Just their official statement. Has anyone received a passport lately?
Old May 26, 20, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat. Medallion
I just mailed in my renewal today 28 May 2020.

My passport is scheduled to expire October 2021. I had some August travel to Belgium and September travel to France planned. The August conference was just canceled and I'll likely have to reschedule an early France trip that was just for fun anyway right after Labor Day. I figured I would try to renew after those trips, I can't travel anyway for several months, so I thought I'll just renew now. Hopefully that wasn't the wrong decision. They will eventually work through the back log.
Old May 26, 20, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by trinitey2000 View Post
MSerforfun:

I sent my application around the same time as you. Have you heard anything yet? I just checked my status today and now its says NOT FOUND. I really hope that means that they have sent it, but I have a feeling it may not be the case. My husband received his at the end of March and we sent ours at the same time and they arrived at the same time.
Nope. Nothing.

I am of the early birds with the system actually continuing to state that they received my passport on February 25th and it should take them 6 to 8 weeks to get it processed.
universitylad likes this.
Old May 29, 20, 7:30 am

I filled my passport renewal application form out on the state department website and printed the barcoded form. Do you think that speeds up the process compared to filling out by hand?
Old May 30, 20, 4:45 pm

Programs: United, Delta
My passport application was received on March 13 and logged in to their system on March 16. I checked the status today and the message has changed to:

Application Status: In Process

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we cannot provide an update on when you will receive your passport and the return of your citizenship documents until we resume normal operations and staff return to our agencies and centers.

While we continue to accept applications, process your payments, and safeguard your forms, we cannot update your passport status at this time. For more information, read our COVID-19 update.

What ever that means; at least my application appears to be moving forward.
Old May 30, 20, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun View Post
I sent my application to Irving.

Just wondering, as all of you are reading this thread, did anyone's application sent in February or before mid March get put on the back burner?
Sent mine to Irving as well Logged in their system on March 16 and sometime this week week my status changed to "In Process"

What ever that means
Old May 31, 20, 1:48 pm

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workf...limited-staff/
mshimazu likes this.
Old Jun 1, 20, 11:17 am

02/19/2020 - Passport renewal application received (Philadelphia / Standard)
02/21/2020 - Check cashed
02/22/2020 - Passport application 'In Process' via website
04/30/2020 - I called and was told the application is still 'In Process'
05/20/2020 - Passport application 'In Process' via website
05/28/2020 - Passport application 'Not Found' via website
06/01/2020 - I called and was told 2 different things by the same CSR who refused to check my status.

Has anyone spoken to a CSR who got the same 'I won't check your status"?
Has anyone had their status changed to 'In Process' to 'Not Found' and actually had a good result?

TIA
Old Jun 2, 20, 8:05 am

I was considering going ahead and applying as my passport is close to expiring but was thinking that if I wait...possibly expedited processing may open up and I will be better off? I should have renewed earlier but had a lot of travel and had planned to just do expedited processing but then everything got shut down.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
I was considering going ahead and applying as my passport is close to expiring but was thinking that if I wait...possibly expedited processing may open up and I will be better off? I should have renewed earlier but had a lot of travel and had planned to just do expedited processing but then everything got shut down.
I think having your passport when things reopen is better than State having your passport in the meantime.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
I think having your passport when things reopen is better than State having your passport in the meantime.
I should have probably waited.
Update from my previous replies: I mailed in application to Irving on 26 May 2020. Today 2 June 2020, I noticed my check has been cashed so we know they at least opened the envelope. I am not yet in the system where you can check the status of the passport yet.
Old Jun 2, 20, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
When things fully reopen, if you're near a passport agency you can renew quickly there (IIRC for an extra fee) if you have proof of immediate travel or a need to apply for a visa. It's great to go in person and pick up the new passport the following business day.
universitylad likes this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 11:45 pm

They changed the main message on their website now. Safely Getting Back To Work For You

To prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect our workforce and customers, we significantly reduced passport operations in March 2020. We temporarily suspended expedited passport processing and restricted service to cases involving life-or-death emergencies.

As global conditions continue to evolve, and as states and health authorities adapt their operational recommendations, the Department looks forward to resuming routine passport processing, while protecting the safety of both our staff and our customers. We are planning to gradually reopen in three phases this summer as part of the U.S. Department of State’s Diplomacy Strong plan, which follows guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for safely reopening. Each passport agency and center will open on a different date based on local conditions.

We continue to experience significant delays in passport processing, as our staff are unable to process applications from home due to strict standards for security and privacy protection for customers. This includes applications by customers who already applied for routine service at passport acceptance facilities or who mailed in renewal applications since March. We ask for your patience as we gradually resume normal operations and address COVID-19 related processing delays.

We are committed to working as hard as we can to process applications as quickly as possible, as soon as it is safe for us to do so.
Old Jun 3, 20, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by MSerforfun View Post
They changed the main message on their website now. Safely Getting Back To Work For You

To prevent the spread of COVID-19 and protect our workforce and customers, we significantly reduced passport operations in March 2020. We temporarily suspended expedited passport processing and restricted service to cases involving life-or-death emergencies.

As global conditions continue to evolve, and as states and health authorities adapt their operational recommendations, the Department looks forward to resuming routine passport processing, while protecting the safety of both our staff and our customers. We are planning to gradually reopen in three phases this summer as part of the U.S. Department of State’s Diplomacy Strong plan, which follows guidelines from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for safely reopening. Each passport agency and center will open on a different date based on local conditions.

We continue to experience significant delays in passport processing, as our staff are unable to process applications from home due to strict standards for security and privacy protection for customers. This includes applications by customers who already applied for routine service at passport acceptance facilities or who mailed in renewal applications since March. We ask for your patience as we gradually resume normal operations and address COVID-19 related processing delays.

We are committed to working as hard as we can to process applications as quickly as possible, as soon as it is safe for us to do so.
Hmm, this thing called the Post Office seems to be working.
Is this just an excuse to make it so Americans cannot leave?
Old Jun 3, 20, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Hmm, this thing called the Post Office seems to be working.
Is this just an excuse to make it so Americans cannot leave?
Yeah it's OK for grocery clerks to serve one hundred customers per day but the darlings at the State Dept can't risk it.

Why? Well because they can- and they know it.
ExpatExp likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: